This is what 5k OCI looks like under valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Deposit control has many factors, including the choice of oil. It's not unusual to see 10K oil changes with minimal deposits when using quality synthetics. But one factor constantly ignored is that contaminates and microparticulates build up in the oil. Unburned fuel and combustion byproducts get past the piston rings, and into the oil. At which point much of the unburned fuel evaporates, leaving behind a small, non volatile components of the fuel. It accumulates, mile after mile, and it's not oil, and it's not fuel. The combustion byproducts include micro particulates that are instrumental in wearing the various timing and balancer chains.

The choice of a quality synthetic oil, coupled with a 5000 mile oil change interval is a great way ensure you are not shortchanging the life of your engine. Unless you know for a fact that your particular model engine is not prone to rapid timing chain or balancer chain wear, and you know that it's unlikely to have oil consumption issues from clogged piston oil ring drain holes, or poor oil ring performance.... Or any number of other problems that so often crop up in modern engines, from sludge to cam wear.... (Remember many GM, Toyota, Ford, BMW, VW and other brands have these known issues)

Wow, well explained and put into words for those who do change before the recommended OCI. Assuming people are going to keep the vehicle and its not a lease, etc.
Also as some manuals state shorter OCIs for severe use, its in the manual for a reason but widely ignored and unknown by the general public.
I always change early, actually enjoy it and its dirt cheap to do.

Last edited:
That's depends upon the application there KC. Some of these turbo boosted, GDI motors and given how someone drives 5k miles with a full "synthetic" might just be exactly what they should be doing. All depends on a number of factors.

1) I've read here that using the same brand / type of oil results in the cleanliness seen in the OP's picture. Is it true?

2) I've read here that changing oil brands during an engine's life results in varnish. Is that true?

3) I'm a firm believer in ridding the engine of foul oil. Just thinking about 15,000 mile OCI's give me the willies! What's your opinion?

I soon will change my oil for the second time (Mobil1 0W-40 EF) in my "still new to me" used car. I want an analysis 2/3 through the factory's 7,500 mile OCI.
I have been following the factory OCI's through 3 of these engines (Volvo B5244S).
Obviously I want to see how "good" the oil is at that time.

4) Should I do the analysis at 5,000 or the 7,500 mile mark instead?

I'd do the analysis now except that I've added a few different top-off oils and I want to keep the analysis 100% ONE KIND of oil.

One person's 5000 mile oil change might be entirely short trips over a one year period. That combined with turbo GDI engine and driven like it was stolen would be the perfect candidate for a max 5000 mile oil change with a quality full syn. Of course, that's an extreme example. Add extreme cold temps to that oci, and you might want to even shorten it more under those conditions.

The opposite of that scenario would be mostly longer trips in moderate temps and without a turbo or direct injection. In those conditions, you probably could easily go 10k miles or more with same high quality full syn oil and achieve the same cleanliness.

My point is that there are endless variables in oil and filter quality, along with engine designs, ambient temps, and type of driving that would determine a safe or overkill oci. I guess when you don't test your oil to know how it is holding up in your application, it is best to error on the side of overkill, especially if you plan to keep that vehicle for a long time.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
With 5k oil changes, the real question is why is the cover off at a mere 40k miles?

Cover is off because the timing chain is making noise amirite?! What do i win?!

Either that or valve cover leak. Or DI related carbon deposits. Or all of the above in any combination. Regardless what a POS motor at any oil change interval. Baby it all you want, an abortion between BMW and Peugeot.

One of the spark plug wells was full of oil. And this engine is not DI (thankfully). I replaced the timing chain tensioner to the updated spec last year.

Nice, but at 45k that engine's just getting broken in. Show it again another 100k down the road and let's see how it looks! I'd be very perturbed if I had an engine with 45k that wasn't still new looking inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back