2016 Equinox 2.4

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
What bad rep of this motor? This one is pretty bulletproof. You may be thinking about valve timing issues with the pre 2012 engine, but were fixed with a complete redesign in 2012?

The 2.4 Eco-Turd is notorious for the rings crapping out and GM absolutely hates honouring the extended warranty, and the dealers only admit to a service bulletin once the clock has run out. GM will if you can brow Beat them into it, cover maybe up to $1,000 of the cost, and that's if you are within days of the warranty expiring.

Once it starts eating oil, it needs a rebuild, bumping the oil up to 5W-40 slows it for a bit.

Garbage engine built by a garbage company that should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

I have replaced several 2.4 Ecoturdz because the timing chain guides fell apart, the chain sheared off the guide bolts, and the labor to drill out the bolts, replace the timing set, etc, is more than a used engine.
At least half of the 2.4 Ecoturdz that I work on have timing chain rattles, lots of sparkly metal in the oil, and need new VVT solenoids.

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
What bad rep of this motor? This one is pretty bulletproof. You may be thinking about valve timing issues with the pre 2012 engine, but were fixed with a complete redesign in 2012?

The 2.4 Eco-Turd is notorious for the rings crapping out and GM absolutely hates honouring the extended warranty, and the dealers only admit to a service bulletin once the clock has run out. GM will if you can brow Beat them into it, cover maybe up to $1,000 of the cost, and that's if you are within days of the warranty expiring.

Once it starts eating oil, it needs a rebuild, bumping the oil up to 5W-40 slows it for a bit.

Garbage engine built by a garbage company that should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

I have replaced several 2.4 Ecoturdz because the timing chain guides fell apart, the chain sheared off the guide bolts, and the labor to drill out the bolts, replace the timing set, etc, is more than a used engine.
At least half of the 2.4 Ecoturdz that I work on have timing chain rattles, lots of sparkly metal in the oil, and need new VVT solenoids.

How many of those have been since the redesign? Any idea on how they maintained them or mileage they had?

Thanks to those who have taken time to respond.

Originally Posted by Bscott07
Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger

How many of those have been since the redesign? Any idea on how they maintained them or mileage they had?

Thanks to those who have taken time to respond.

I get to work on lots of '08-'12 Malibus and related GM vehicles with the 2.4. They are generally wholesale auction or repo cars, so likely to have been neglected.

I'm not sure which redesign you mean. The 2.4 had a few variations, but the latest redesigned Ecotec was a 2.5 and 2.0 turbocharged

No it's simple math. With a engine failure rate of less than 3% within the production run of the vehicle and the vehicle on average will spend around 12 years on the road in the U.S. I know it deeply pains you engines are very robust and many do not even get the minimumal recommended maintenance and yet don't fail. It must be a difficult concept to grasp. I can direct you to some learning aid's if you wish.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The GDI / Turbo engine in the now current Equinox will be a future headache for GM.

I bet you will be right. this same engine had major trouble with pistons cracking from high combustion chamber temps in the sonic and cruze turbo.

the equinox 2,4 didn't get a redesighn. the same lousey motor was used the whole run. the 2.4 in the Malibu did and became the 2.5. his is according to wiki

Originally Posted by Aero540T
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Most of the OLM problems were with the DI version of the 3.6L HF V6, and for that V6, GM recalibrated the OLM to suggest a shorter OCI

The 2.4 is one of GM's better modern engines

Are you conveniently leaving out the class action lawsuit GM just settled for major oil burning on the 2.4? That's what the OP is worried about

My daughters 2.4 used 3.5 qts in less than 3k miles before she figured out it was an oil burner. Granted it's an 09 with 90k on it but was owned by a GM service writer who didn't say crap to her about it of course.

Originally Posted by super20dan
the equinox 2,4 didn't get a redesighn. the same lousey motor was used the whole run. the 2.4 in the Malibu did and became the 2.5. his is according to wiki

So no change from the 2011-2012 to the 2016 on anything with the motors??

I've order a UOA kit, will send that off when I change oil, also will try 0-40 Castrol to do a comparison between it and the 5-30 I've been using.

**Trying to upload the UOA**

1st UOA, thoughts? I'm unsure how to read it in more details by what means what, i've of course read their comments. They don't seem worried, but does their comments hold any weight? Thanks for any help or insight, still trying to learn as I go on the site.

2016 Equinox UOA.jpg

I have a 2011 GMC Terrain 2.4 EcoTec, and yes that engine is garbage. Bad Piston rings cause the oil burning issue, Also the 2010-2011 had sub par timing chains that stretched and chewed through the guides. However, all this is covered under GM's extended warranty, but you have to do your homework. As others have stated it seems GM hates honoring these warranties, so the best way is to go my.gmc website and open a account. This way you can see if your vehicle is covered for the extended warranty TSB that fixes the oil consumption problem. Print that out and take it to your dealership and they will begin an oil consumption test. You have to bring your vehicle back to the dealership every 500 miles so they can check the oil levels, but if your engine burns 1.25 qt or more within 1500 miles then GM will honor your extended warranty and the dealership will fix it. Don't let your dealership tell your otherwise. go to https://my.gmc.com/login and make an account to be 100% sure that your vehicle is under that extended warranty. If it is then don't let your dealership tell you it is not. I did this and the dealership replace piston rings, along with the timing chain and guides, and about 6 other things. After that my Terrain no longer burns any oil. I've attached my dealership receipt so you can see all the parts that get replaced under the warranty work.
[Linked Image]

I wouldn't put much stock in "this engine is a POS". I had an 03 altima that I used for business and when a deer killed itself on the front, it used no oil at all, yet so many will rip on that engine. I didn't even know the 2.5 was an issue till long after I got the insurance money. Reading this site is the equivalent of the doctor telling you that your blood pressure is borderline high and to take it at Walmart and let him know.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I wouldn't put much stock in "this engine is a POS". I had an 03 altima that I used for business and when a deer killed itself on the front, it used no oil at all, yet so many will rip on that engine. I didn't even know the 2.5 was an issue till long after I got the insurance money. Reading this site is the equivalent of the doctor telling you that your blood pressure is borderline high and to take it at Walmart and let him know.

Well GMC did just have to settle a class action lawsuit for this engine and its problems. I am sure statistically more people are not having issues, but if you look over at https://www.terrainforum.net/ it is staggering how many people are having or have had catastrophic failure on this engine due to oil consumption, timing chains, transmission, or a clogged PCV that blows out the rear main seal in cold weather. Ironically my mother has a 2015 V6 Terrain, and that engine is a tank, very few people are reporting any problems with that engine. Granted forum statistics are just anecdotal, but I am active over at the terrain forums and its literally like 90% of the problems reported are with the 2.4 EcoTec and yet hardly anyone has had any problems with the 3.6 V6 engine.

i checked every source I could find on the 2010-2012 2.4 and the 2013-2017 2,4 in the equinox. its the same engine and only mods done were to make it e85 compatable-what ever this entails. for some reason the Malibu got an entire new 2.5 engine but the nox didnt.. i feel bad for the people gm screwed over with this pos and the usual tricks and excuses they did to wiggle off the hook. I have heard of dealers over filling the engines by 1 qt in an effort to throw off the oil consumption test

1st UOA, thoughts? I'm unsure how to read it in more details by what means what, i've of course read their comments. They don't seem worried, but does their comments hold any weight? Thanks for any help or insight, still trying to learn as I go on the site.

Here is my 2011 GMC Terrain UOA I had done last year. I had it done after I had the oil consumption fix done to it. My UOA is pretty much the same as yours. Keep in mind that most of the major problems with this engine are with the 2010-2013 2.4 models. After that they pretty much ironed out all the major issues, the 2016 should not have the oil consumption problem, or stretched timing chain problem.

[Linked Image]

My 03 2.5 altima should have used oil by the gallon but never used any. My 09 altima should use none and used 1/2 qt per 1k. Then I tried piston soaks and everything else and it now uses 1qt per 1k even though I bought it new. Mechanical issues are mechanical issues.

Originally Posted by Matt1980

Here is my 2011 GMC Terrain UOA I had done last year. I had it done after I had the oil consumption fix done to it. My UOA is pretty much the same as yours. Keep in mind that most of the major problems with this engine are with the 2010-2013 2.4 models. After that they pretty much ironed out all the major issues, the 2016 should not have the oil consumption problem, or stretched timing chain problem.

[Linked Image]

I haven't had any issues but after looking at other forums I've seen the many that have. I have not lost any oil from any oil changes I've done. I'll definitely check out the extended warranty and see if it applies. Look like the UOA is in line with yours after being rebuilt, so that should be a positive.

*edit*

I checked the website and it lists a special coverage that goes for 150,000 or 7 years & 6 months.

Last edited:
You can google the TSB number you get form the My GMC website and it should tell you what that extended warranty covers. But I don't think it would be for oil consumption, because that only effected 2010-2013 models. After that they started using the correct piston rings that fixed the issue.

Back