2016 Equinox 2.4

Originally Posted by Matt1980
You can google the TSB number you get form the My GMC website and it should tell you what that extended warranty covers. But I don't think it would be for oil consumption, because that only effected 2010-2013 models. After that they started using the correct piston rings that fixed the issue.

You're correct. It's for the windshield wiper motor. So nothing on the engine itself.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Most of the OLM problems were with the DI version of the 3.6L HF V6, and for that V6, GM recalibrated the OLM to suggest a shorter OCI

The 2.4 is one of GM's better modern engines

Are you conveniently leaving out the class action lawsuit GM just settled for major oil burning on the 2.4? That's what the OP is worried about
My '13 burns oil.

GM put bad rings in a few years of 2.3L L4 engines.

I watch my Equinox's oil consumption like a hawk. With 5W-30, greatly increased consumption starts around the 2500 to 3000 mark after each OCI. After that, I immediately have it changed out. :(

Last edited:
My '13 burns oil.

I watch my Equinox's oil consumption like a hawk. With 5W-30, greatly increased consumption starts around the 2500 to 3000 mark after each OCI. After that, I immediately have it changed out. :(
Oops... 2.4L L4 engine. Not happy with it...

And the transmissions that are attached to the 2.4 have a history of problems as well.
Thankfully, no problems with mine yet. ATF fluid changes about every 60 to 75K miles has kept mine. I hope.

133,000 miles on mine so far... might be about time to get rid of it.

My '13 burns oil.

My wife's 2012 Buick Verano with 2.4 does the same thing. Always ran synthetic 5w30 and like clockwork, at 3k starts using. This oil change I decided to try Castrol 0w40 to see if it helps.

My wife's 2012 Buick Verano with 2.4 does the same thing. Always ran synthetic 5w30 and like clockwork, at 3k starts using. This oil change I decided to try Castrol 0w40 to see if it helps.
Same here! I have Castrol 0W-40 readied for the next OCI.

Hoping for the best...

Back