This guy claims a heavier oil will cause more wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Whammo
Fast forward to the 3 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLlM0K0Tr8o

The pretense of the video reference is incorrect and demonstrates a lack of understanding. Oils are pumped to the top of he engine, they do not flow to the top of the engine. Since liquid is incompressible the oil gets to the top of the engine at the same time so long as the oil is above its minimal pumpable temp. Most any oil at most normal temps will pump through the pump and through the engine channels just as fast. The normal cold start temp differences in temperatures above 15 degrees Fahrenheit ht between a xw20 and a xw40 is not of measurable or practical consequence.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Guy is supposed to be an expert and he calls them "10 Weight 40" or "20 weight 50." Yeah.

smirk2.gif

Scotty tells it like it is.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Guy is supposed to be an expert and he calls them "10 Weight 40" or "20 weight 50." Yeah.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to oil.

He has another video explain *w** and he said first number is the winter weight. So he knows it but i's not using the correct word as a lot of old timers do.

Originally Posted by mpack88
He has another video explain *w** and he said first number is the winter weight. So he knows it but i's not using the correct word as a lot of old timers do.

Old timers use grade.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Define too thick. Using a 5w30 in an engine calling for 5W20 is not going to cause extra wear. Using a 20W50 in it in the dead of winter could pose a problem, and might increase wear. IIIRC doesn't the Hemi used in the Ram call for 5W20 in some applications, and 0W40 in others? Is the engine calling for 0W40 totally different than the one calling for 5W20?

5.7 calls for 5w20, both the truck and SRT 6.4's call for 0w40. There isn't any drastic differences between the 5.7 and 6.4.

I'll tell ya what's ate up is the fact that manufacturers just go and change the recommended specifications many years after the fact. For example, my 94 Ford E150 5.8L E4OD originally spec mercon for the tranny and stated do not use mercon V it will ruin your trans. Then years later changed and said to use mercon v being they quit licensing mercon. Then I went on mobile 1 website to see what oil they recommended and they showed 5w20 weight. So I got on the forum and found out ford has now changed my oil weight recommendation now as well. This makes me wonder if this whole thinner thing is all based on better fuel economy/emissions. I want the best protection even if it cost more to run. My oil cap says 5w30 while my manual says anything above 0 F best to run 10w30 now ford has went and changed this to 5w20. All of the tolerances and clearances are the same or larger than they was in 94 so how can a thinner oil be the correct spec to use??
Makes me wonder if all these newer cars really do have tighter clearances or if this is all driven by trying to save the Ozone?? Lol
For now I'm using mobile 1 0w40 euro being I'm not 100 percent sure I have the roller cam 5.8L in my van. I know all of the F150/250/350 trucks got the roller but I've read some of the vans got the last of the old style flat tappet cam with the new roller cam block. So in order to know for sure I'd have to remove my valve covers and measure a push rod to know for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Define too thick. Using a 5w30 in an engine calling for 5W20 is not going to cause extra wear. Using a 20W50 in it in the dead of winter could pose a problem, and might increase wear. IIIRC doesn't the Hemi used in the Ram call for 5W20 in some applications, and 0W40 in others? Is the engine calling for 0W40 totally different than the one calling for 5W20?

5.7 calls for 5w20, both the truck and SRT 6.4's call for 0w40. There isn't any drastic differences between the 5.7 and 6.4.

Exactly. I posed it as a question for a reason.......
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Exactly. I posed it as a question for a reason.......
wink.gif

Now that I'm caffeinated, I can see that clear as day...
13.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by alcyon
Why do even [censored] cars in america use oil filters with the flat type gasket, but the ones in asia use o ring type that NEVER falls off.

I wonder that too. My 300ZX and Accord oem filters have that o ring type gasket.

Nothing wrong with the flat type base gaskets. Only time they might come off is when removing the filter. Just inspect upon removal, not rocket science.
grin.gif

the reasoning behind air cooled engines makes obvious sense, Water cooled engines with a thermostat are for the most part isolated from the enviroment . One of my past cars had a temperature sensor in the oil sump and a uneventfull cruise yielded 180F degrees. Running the gears under hard throttle showed an instant rise to 220-240F. Not as big a spread as one might guess. Anyone have any numbers to submit instead of anecdotal evidense?

Originally Posted by R1jake
I'll tell ya what's ate up is the fact that manufacturers just go and change the recommended specifications many years after the fact.

Then I went on mobile 1 website to see what oil they recommended and they showed 5w20 weight. So I got on the forum and found out ford has now changed my oil weight recommendation now as well. This makes me wonder if this whole thinner thing is all based on better fuel economy/emissions. I want the best protection even if it cost more to run. My oil cap says 5w30 while my manual says anything above 0 F best to run 10w30 now ford has went and changed this to 5w20. All of the tolerances and clearances are the same or larger than they was in 94 so how can a thinner oil be the correct spec to use??

Makes me wonder if all these newer cars really do have tighter clearances or if this is all driven by trying to save the Ozone?? Lol

Engine clearances have basically been the same for decades. Thinner oils are speced and back speced for CAFE credits. xW-20 is still going to give enough protection in normal benign driving situations to make the engine last long enough for most people.

Obviously, xW-20 is not ideal for track use unless you've got some super oil cooler installed. Most newer engines have some kind of an oil cooler these days, and some of that design direction could have been driven by thinner oils being specified.

this guy is usually on point but he's voice and tone just makes it hard for me to watch he's videos.

I apologize the fact of the oil does not get hot enough to thin to the point the lube to compromise the film strength providing extra thickness does not "protect" better. It is not mental gymnastics.

Plus the addition of additives will affect the film strength, friction properties, and anti-wear.

There are many reasons why mixed lubrication is used for IC engines and the grade printed on the bottle label in only one factor.

Originally Posted by wemay
This time Scotty made a decent video, in my opinion.

I've had a difference of opinion with some of the stuff he says but I don't know that I've seen him give patently false advice, but then again I've only seen a handful of his vids so who knows... maybe there's some vid of him saying something totally wacky; wouldn't surprise me as it looks like Scotty's spent one to many afternoons working with solvents in a closed garage!...‚

Next week this guy will make a video claiming that thinner oils cause more wear. That will result in more clicks and more money in his pocket plus another thread will be started here.

Meanwhile this kook is laughing all the way to the bank.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by alcyon
Why do even [censored] cars in america use oil filters with the flat type gasket, but the ones in asia use o ring type that NEVER falls off.

I wonder that too. My 300ZX and Accord oem filters have that o ring type gasket.

Nothing wrong with the flat type base gaskets. Only time they might come off is when removing the filter. Just inspect upon removal, not rocket science.
grin.gif

Yeah, why is this even a problem? I've never had it happen on my own old domestic cars but I did have it happen on some when I worked in the Pennzoil quick lube every day. You always check to make sure it stayed on the filter or you're going to have a real bad day eventually. It happened so rarely I don't even know which brands were prone to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back