Thinking of getting a Prius

We’ve never had a Hybrid before. My wife’s co-workers all love theirs. Our Pontiac Vibe has served her well thruout the years, but she wants to upgrade. Her Vibe will get passed down to our daughter. What are the best years for the Prius? We’d like the biggest model available. Also, anything to avoid?

When buying a used Prius, you will possibly be getting a used battery pack. Be prepared to replace the battery pack.

Time and miles all seem to take their toll on the Prius. The battery packs are better than before, but they do still fail. My northern VT family had many Prius cars. All had battery failures at just over 100-140k miles. I suspect the cold did them no favors. They all purchased other brands now.

Prius engines also use low tension piston rings. They tend to use oil when the miles are high. Even with relatively good service. Furthermore, with poor maintenance the pistons tend to end up with clogged oil drain holes. Leading to excessive oil consumption and failed catalytic converters.

I really like hybrids for what they are and they are often the most efficient cars. (A discussion for another time). However the advantages tend to evaporate as they age. My elderly mothers Prius repairs cost more than the fuel savings vs her previous Honda Accord.

my suggestion: purchase as new and low miles Prius as you can, and sell prior to the 8 year 130,000 mile mark. This is the ownership sweet spot.

Although the new Honda Accord Hybrid is difficult to find and no longer cheap, it’s a personal favorite for many reasons.

imo avoid any prius pre-2010 (no dedicated battery air filter).

check the hybrid battery pack air filter if you are looking at a private sale. clogged battery air filter = warmer than normal battery pack.

with current used car prices, you may be better off just getting a new one.

and given new car inventory levels, imo, you're better just ordering a custom build and waiting the 2-3 months.

Or depending on your wife, she may like the higher-riding RAV4 hybrid. good luck.

Last edited:
I would look into a new one, there is a warranty and you can properly maintain it. My neighbor has one with around 100,000 miles and I have driven it a few times . It certainly doesn't have the fun of a Challenger with the Hellcat engine but the Prius is not a bad commuter car. I see the 45 to 50 ish Mpgs on the display when I drive it and it is amazing how it switchs from electric to gas engine.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 with 223K with the original hybrid battery. The hybrid battery feels like it has been on its last legs since ~150K, but it still performs fine. Fuel economy is down to high 30's/low 40's.

I replaced the head gasket at 185K due to a cold-start misfire which is quite common on the 10-15's. Aside from the head gasket issue, the 10-15's are incredibly reliable until this happens....which is usually after 150K.

The 04-09's have minor issues such as the inverter pump, coolant heat recovery system pump, axle seals, combo meter, etc.

Both generations can have ABS actuator failures.

Both generations have a high likelihood of developing oil consumption issues.

Overall the cars are not terrible, but can have some expensive issues along with the inevitable battery failure.

Once you consider the potential for catalytic converter theft issue along with the other expensive repairs, they are not good used car prospects at high mileage. These are good vehicles to buy new and dump at 10/150K (since you live in CA).

Last edited:
imo avoid any prius pre-2010 (no dedicated battery air filter).

check the hybrid battery pack air filter if you are looking at a private sale. clogged battery air filter = warmer than normal battery pack.

with current used car prices, you may be better off just getting a new one.

and given new car inventory levels, imo, you're better just ordering a custom build and waiting the 2-3 months.

Or depending on your wife, she may like the higher-riding RAV4 hybrid. good luck.

Guy on the left looks like David Blaine's 2nd cousin, Herbie.

I would not want one if you are a heavy interstate traveler.
I agree. I drive a large number of interstate miles. I always avoid the rental Prius for long trips. They do return fantastic highway MPG's, even at the speeds I drive. However, there is something less than ideal about spending 19 hours in that car, at speed, and battling traffic, or god forbid, trying to pass. It really does not have the luxury necessary to make long highway trips pleasant.

For those who say "they are not that slow", using objective criteria, yes they are. 11 seconds 0-60 and 20 second 1/4 mile times make the Prius among the slowest cars out there. You would have to look long and hard for a slower new car.

Also look at the Prime if your income tax liability hits $4502 a year, as you can write that off. Cali might have additional incentives.

I got my Prime for less than a "normal prius" back in Feb when rebates were bigger.

Prime takes a little hatch space for a bigger battery that gives you the first 26 miles off electricity, so this won't be "the biggest." Like others said, the Rav 4 Prime is a solid machine.

Great choice! My 08 Prius is at 120K miles and on its original hybrid battery. I thought I can't stand the looks of the 4th Gen 2016+ Prius I would like to upgrade to one. They ride pretty nice, have way better power than the previous models and get awesome fuel mileage.

My buddy has a 2016 Prius eco 2 and gets 58-60 mpg and he doesn't drive like a grandma, my 08 I get 42-ish.

Even bigger is the '21 Sienna hybrid in case that's an option. They only come in the hybrid version now. Brother just bought an LE FWD and drives very nice. Looks good too.

Back