Thickest oil my Honda can handle? 363,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brons2
I vote for HDEO 15w40 as well, it's relatively inexpensive and readily available.

Try SuperTech 15w40 from your local Walmart. It's $11.66 per gallon at my local Walmart.
+ 1 on this. The higher add levels may help get a few more miles/life as well. I wouldn't waste big money on synthetics for this car when its burning oil so fast

Last edited:
How about clarifying the NGK spark plug blow out? NGK is usually not known for causing this kind of problem.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Ok,,,its time for another ride, ur riding on borrowed time and nursing a dying engine with tuneups in a can or heavier oil is only masking the problem IMHO>

So??? Isn't that the idea???

The engine isn't going to fix it's self and at 16yr & 363K mi, the car isn't worth sinking a large sum of money into... Maybe if a cheap used engine could be located but a quart or two of oil every month is still far cheaper...

Load it up with 20W-50 and be happy...

Ok,,,its time for another ride, ur riding on borrowed time and nursing a dying engine with tuneups in a can or heavier oil is only masking the problem IMHO>

Yup!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My parents' Jeep Wrangler with the garbage minivan motor burns through more than that and it only has 50k miles on it!

take it to the dealer to get checked out. Wranglers that have a 3.8 in them that was built in mexico could possibly have incorrectly installed rings. This has been a known issue

363k miles? Sounds like it might be time to look into replacing your car. If you are dead set against it, or want to save the money, I'd look into a 5W-40 of some kind. Still thin enough for cold winter, but thick enough to hopefully slow down some of that oil burning.

Go test drive a 2012 Cruze Eco, with the Manual. Sciphi has been demolishing the EPA fuel economy estimates in his.

Last edited:
Burning 1 liter every 1000km is not unreasonable given the mileage on the engine. That's about how much my Accord consumes.

To suggest junking it and buying a new car based on that is laughable. Maybe some of us can't afford to just go out and buy a 2012 Cruze Eco.

WOW, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of responses! I read through this thread before I came home from work. I decided to pick up Rotella T 15w40 and came home and changed the oil. I also made and installed a oil catch can. I live in PA so I'll wait until it's warmer to try 20w50. I'm going to answer several questions I saw, sorry I didn't get to everyone.

Just to clarify a few things.
1. I've been burning oil like this for about 120,000 miles, since the plug failure. When it began it was about 950-1000 miles per quart, now it's about 750-700. Prior to that it did not burn any oil.
2. I'm too attached to the car to junk it and I'm going to keep it until the bitter end.
3. Also, I'm a fully capable mechanic with plenty of funds, I chose to run the car rather than tear it down or swap. I want to see how far it will go on the original engine.
4. I have a CTS-V as a back up car
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Hey Shark...how long have you owned the car? 363,000 miles is quite an accomplishment even in a Honda. I have a 1996 Accord with the V6...I've heard the 2.2 4 cyl. is a better engine. Mine has 113,000 miles and runs great. If I can get half the mileage your car has I'll be happy.

The V6 is a solid engine, I've seen plenty above 250,000 miles. Just keep the timing belt and water pump up to date and the trans fluid clean. I bought mine when I was 17, back in 2004. I paid $270 for it, it had 194,000 miles. I always maintained it well but I ran it REALLY hard for the first 6 years. Words can't describe. I take it easy on it now, but it still sees redline a couple times a day.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What tri state area? If youre talking NJ/NY/CT, it is rarely cold enough for a 15w- to be out of spec in reality.

Some start-up clatter isnt the end of the world, just go easy for a while.

Id likely run a 15w-40 HDEO to see how it goes.

If you get a lot of cold issues, you could swap in a 5w-40 HDEO in there, though that is more $.

20w-50 is another option, but IMO too thick for practical use, though your driving profile may be good for it.

Id start with a 15w-40 and move from there. My only concern being that if you are consuming it, and need to pass emissions, API SN PCMOs will have less ZDDP, and thus be kinder on your converters...

But not sure what the best way to just thicken up the oil is...

I went with that oil weight. I'm in PA near the PA/MD/DE point. I'm no too worried about the cat, it's the original. And the way I see it about 130 quarts have go through it already.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Possibly.....this might be a good time to look for a new 'used' vehicle...

I'm a car guy, and usually have 3 or more cars at any given time.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How about clarifying the NGK spark plug blow out? NGK is usually not known for causing this kind of problem.

The plug had about 25-30000 miles on it. It wasn't over torqued. The insulator blew apart and sent big chucks down into the cylinder. I still have the plug. I called NGK and they requested I send it to them, which I wasn't willing to do. I was cruising on level ground when it happened. The compression blew my plug wire off immediately.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Go test drive a 2012 Cruze Eco, with the Manual. Sciphi has been demolishing the EPA fuel economy estimates in his.

I drove a Sonic turbo last month and loved it. I would buy a Cruze with the 1.4T, but I don't buy new cars. Maybe in a few years, unless my Honda's still running, haha.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Burning 1 liter every 1000km is not unreasonable given the mileage on the engine. That's about how much my Accord consumes.

To suggest junking it and buying a new car based on that is laughable. Maybe some of us can't afford to just go out and buy a 2012 Cruze Eco.

I agree, oil's cheap, and keeping this car going is fun. It's be an amazing car. So much of it is original and working, A/C, power steering, alternator (just change brushes), all the power windows and power accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1.
I've had 15W-40 in our '97 in warm weather, for an ARX rinse phase.
This has the same engine as your's, unless you have an EX with VTEC.
No problems at all.
I've also used M1 EP 15W-50 in both of our Accords during summer weather, with no problems, including the VTEC on the '99.
I bought this M1 quite cheaply on closeout, of course.
So, I think that a 15W-40 HDEO should give you no problems.
Buy the cheapest API SJ or later spec 15W-40 you can find, and I hope that you see your odo roll 400K.
Maybe look around for closeout 20W-50 for the summer, or see whether Valvoline offers their FAR deal on VR1 again this spring, and try that 20W-50.

My dad's winter beater 97 Accord 4 Cylinder, run's like a champ. It has 220k miles, and it's on the original timing belt. < i'm not kidding about the belt, it's probably going to break soon, and when it does the car's off to the scraper.
It doesn't consume any measurable amount of oil though, I do 7500k mile oci's with usually Mobil 1 5W-30.

Last edited:

I would not be even slightly surprised to see it go another 100,000 miles the way it is!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I would not be even slightly surprised to see it go another 100,000 miles the way it is!

X2, that motor can handle it. I've seen two personally that have passed 500,000 miles and are still running to this day.

I vote for HDEO 15w40 as well, it's relatively inexpensive and readily available.

Try SuperTech 15w40 from your local Walmart. It's $11.66 per gallon at my local Walmart.

This was my thought as well. Can sometimes be had in larger containers even cheaper. Should be suitable for year round use if your battery is what it should be.

As others have said 20W-50 will work fine too-but I wouldn't use it in the winter.

Just buy some oil and keep on truckin'! I bet that motor will go a lot longer if you don't run it out of oil!

Oddly, I found that Wal-Mart's 15W-40 is cheaper by the quart than by the gallon. No idea why, but it is, at least at the Wal-Mart I shop at.

I agree! This will help consumption and go easy on your wallet.

The car seems to like the 15w40 on cold start. And overall seems to roll out a little better. The top end is a tad quieter than it was the 5w30 that I took out. I can still break out my patented James Bond smoke screen when I ring out 1st and 2nd. I can't wait to try a something 50 weight when it warms up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back