The mom of the guy I killed wants to talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading your posts on this matter in the past and I remember how much it affected you. Sometimes its best for us in the peanut gallery to not comment and to allow time to heal.

Perhaps it would be helpful for you both to have this meeting. You could probably delay it until the statue of limitations has run out but it might be better for the both of you to meet and talk things over.

Id advise consulting a lawyer or union rep before doing it but it would seem that if you didnt admit liability or guilt that you wouldnt have any problems.

Perhaps Im a dreamer but Im guessing that the mother wants to look you in the eye and take your measure and perhaps even apologize. If shes out to score evidence against you then it will be pretty obvious.

Avoid the words, Im sorry and other obvious admissions of guilt and you should be fine. There are ways to convey your feelings while being careful.

If you say, Im sorry that I killed your son then thats something that could look bad if a lawyer twisted it in a lawsuit. If you say, your son was a fine young man who had a bad day and it would have been better for all of us if he decided to go to a movie instead of turning towards violence then youve shown that you care without admitting guilt.

I would jokingly mention that you had apprehensions about the meeting and some of your friends were worried that she might be wearing a wire and then casually ask, "you arent wearing a wire are you?" with a polite chuckle.

Most states have laws regarding surreptitious conversations and require the consent of both parties and are protected under privacy laws. There are instances where taped conversations have been allowed in lawsuits even without the consent of both parties but it would look really bad for someone to tape the conversation privately and start out by lying about doing so.

Most likely the mother has some issues to work through to clear the air. She may want to hear your version of what happened as painful as it may be.

Dont use the words, Im sorry. Dont admit guilt. And be matter of fact with the events. Dont admit that you feel things could have turned out differently or there was any other logical choice for what happened. Dont dwell in what ifs. Explain what happened like Joe Friday ... just the facts. Explain that you feel its tragic and you hated that it turned out like it did because you would rather the event had not happened and that her son would be alive talking to her instead of you.

Its ok to be sad. Its not ok to admit guilt. No court or jury will punish you for being sad that a son isnt around to hug his mother.

You can say over and over and over. Im sad your son isnt alive today. Im sad that your son isnt talking to you instead of me. Im sad that you feel such a huge loss in your life. Showing concern, grief, and compassion will be good for the both of you.

Avoid saying, I would have dont things differently and all variants of this kind of statement. Avoid saying, Im sorry I killed your son.

You can say a lot without putting bullets in the lawyers guns.

If at anytime you feel that the meeting is an attempt to build evidence for a lawsuit then politely end the meeting. Arrange for a friend to call you on a cell phone every couple of minutes with the phone on vibrate. If the meeting isnt going to your expectations then pull the phone out of your pocket and take the call and find a reason to excuse yourself. You seem smart enough to know if somebody is fishing for evidence rather than showing concern about what happened.

What happened is an honest question. Could you have done things differently is a question best answered with the answer I cant change the past. If the mother keeps hounding on the different issue then alarms go off and you need an exit strategy.

Finally, take some time to speak with a legal professional about some of these issues before you proceed and there should be a district attorney that would be glad to sit down with you for a meeting and help you for free. DA's ask a lot of cops and they should be glad to return a favor for the price of buying them lunch and give you some good advice.

The best advice is to only do what you feel comfortable doing. If you feel uncomfortable meeting the mother then dont do it. You dont owe her a meeting. If the meeting starts and you dont feel comfortable then leave. Any time the prickles on the back of your neck start rising then its your subconscious telling you something is wrong and be careful. And thats when you can leave. You are doing a favor in granting the interview and its not your responsibility to be a host with politeness and charm. If the meeting goes south then exit stage left and let it be. You can contact the mother again after the statute of limitations has run out and then complete the interview at that time if you so desire.

Best of Luck to you,

Thank you for the million times you did protect and serve without issue.

Happy Motoring to You,

cool.gif

Bugshu

You are asking extremely serious questions.

quote:

It's still within the two-year statute of limitations,

This and other parts of your post clearly indicate you do not have your concerns properly founded in fact/law or you are only concerned with some parts of Texas law, forgoing Federal Jurisdiction (THE HAMMER).

Prior to my present employer, I prosecuted law enforcement officials in Texas for the State of Texas (where you reside). Why you already said what you said is beyond me.

But, this is a free country, feel free to do as you want. What one Grand Jury says is "Justifiable Homicide" is another Grand Jury's indictment for 1st Degree Murder.

Good intentions/actions do NOT make advisable legal choices.

[ February 20, 2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Steve128 ]

Forget about it. She should not have even contacted you. Grief counseling is not your job. She obviously miss-used her previous opportunities to bond with her son and it's not for you to "fill in the blanks". Think about oil, it works for me.
grin.gif

Forget about it. She should not have even contacted you. Grief counseling is not your job. She obviously miss-used her previous opportunities to bond with her son and it's not for you to "fill in the blanks". Think about oil, it works for me.

WISE WORDS...

The value of forgiveness is not always for others.

Bugshu..would you mind doing a little explaining..I'm not getting the drift of your statement..I'm sure you had a point ...now..as I see the situation..and maybe I'm am wrong..but..this was a pure case of "suicide by cop"..no forgiveness needed..this happens in our society..the kid didn't have the courage to do himself so he had another human being do it for him..Vic needs a hug and a pat on the back..he went farther than I would have gone..I WOULD NOT have let him cut me...

I doubt that Astrovic "let" anyone cut him... I would understand Bugshu's comment to indicate that sometimes the value of forgiveness is most strongly felt by the person exercising the forgiveness - in this case, Astrovic. In forgiving, one lets go of one's issues, whatever they might be and moves on. That may or may not be the case here, only Astrovic knows this.

John.

This is one of those deals that you have to put away your human side and don't let your emotions navigate you. Obviously, there was a shooting investigation and you were cleared by your superiors. Move on. Sometimes you have to look at it like it was "my job." You didn't do anything wrong and performed your job with professionalism and dedication. Enough said. I wouldn't meet with her, too many variables and this whole thing will again become fresh in your mind. Don't do it. You owe her nothing. If anything, you should be pi$$ed her for raising a complete idiot.

Do not meet with her one-on-one.

If you decide to do so, do it at the police station in front of witnessses and the Police Officer's Union legal representative.

1. you have no obligation to her for doing your job,

2. going into the job, we all know that we may have to use a firearm in the line of duty.

She is either going to say it was OK, or she is going to try and nail you for whatever reason.

Guys,

Sorry about the slow response. This subject really hits me hard and sometimes I have a hard time talking about it. (It's much more fun to talk about the oil!)

Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's comments and kind words. Believe it or not, you guys have really helped me with the healing process because this forum gives me an "out" I wouldn't otherwise have available to me. Furthermore, you guys tend to be very intelligent and level-headed, so I am thankful for all of your opinions.

This lady has publicly supported me (through her family's attorney and the newspaper) and while I realize that I don't owe her anything, I was told that she wanted to talk with me so she could help set my mind at ease and to help me understand why her son snapped the way he did that night. In some ways, I can understand where she's coming from - I'm a parent, too.

I told my chief that I would meet with her only if he (my chief) is present, along with my wife, my attorney, and my department's attorney. I really don't have anything to say to her about the incident. It was what it was. She was there. She saw everything and repeatedly told me that she was sorry. (I didn't hear anyone talking to me that night, but you can hear her saying it to me on my in-car mobile videotape.) She was attacked by her son prior to my arrival. I suppose the only thing I'd want her to know is that I understand how difficult this whole situation must be for her as a parent.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling a bit. I just want everyone on here to know that I am thankful for your compassion and level responses.

AstroVic

Oh, and one more thing...

I didn't "let" anyone cut me with the knife. In fact, I never saw the knife or knew he had a knife in his hand until it was already coming at my face. (This happened at 2am with limited visibility.) He stabbed me on the top of the head Jason-Friday-the-13th style. Fortunately, I have a thick skull - the blade of the butcher knife bent slightly when it hit my head - probably just enough to save my life and afford me the opportunity to draw my weapon and fire.

[ March 04, 2005, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: AstroVic ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back