The HOUSTON ASTROS are World Champions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article on ESPN.com about how the Stros stocked up on talent through the draft in their many recent lean years, with a strong suggestion that they were even tanking a bit at the big league level to keep the high draft picks coming (they had 3 straight seasons of over 106 losses, 2011-3).
Hard for a team like the Bosox or Yanks to operate like that as they are expected to be at least somewhat competitive every year....still, they built a fine team that is really fun to watch in Houston for sure. It will be scary if they can pick up some bullpen help in the offseason and the starters keep performing well...their top hitters are young and probably should be getting even better.

LOL did my heart good.
49.gif

I went to one of their games when they were the Colt45s. I remember they beat Cincinnati. The opposing pitcher was named Maloney. My cousin yelled "Maloney is full of baloney". I'm not 100. Just 65.

The California state government has a solution for this. They're going to put a 10% payroll tax on any team that beats a California team. The World Series will be a good start. Whenever California has a revenue problem they create a new tax.

The Dodgers were trying to prove there's no substitute for cubic dollars. Houston didn't get the memo.

The Los Angles Chargers will be the biggest tax revenue source of them all under this new plan. They were able to ditch San Diego when the well went dry and carry their tradition of losing games without skipping a beat no matter how much they pay their players. They have some of the best players that don't know how to win a game.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The California state government has a solution for this. They're going to put a 10% payroll tax on any team that beats a California team. The World Series will be a good start. Whenever California has a revenue problem they create a new tax.

They already do this, except it's for all professional athletes that play in California, not just the winners. From Wiki:

"The modern "jock tax" originated in 1991, when California imposed the tax on the earnings of Chicago Bulls players who traveled to Los Angeles to play the Lakers in that year's NBA Finals..."

Pros that play games on the road in California are taxed on the part of their income attributed to their playing there, to include a pro rated portion of signing bonuses, etc.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Sailing only.. which I will say seriously is cool though.

You forgot Rugby Union, a little team called the All Blacks.

The whole series was outstanding. I was going for the Dodgers but really had no dog in the fight since the Yankees didn't make it. I just am completely and totally entertained by all the "lifelong" Dodger fans that popped up the past couple weeks who have brand new jerseys and are so angry today.

I was a bit disappointed about the homer Gurriel hit off a Darvish and the aftermath. Pretty classless if ya ask me

Gurriel apologized and is being disciplined by the MLB. Darvish brushed it all off, saying everyone is human. Later, Dodger pitcher Rich Hill purposely delayed pitching to Gurriel, to elicit long winded boos from the LA fans. In game 7, when Gurriel batted against Darvish, Gurriel tipped his hat to try and make amends by showing a public gesture of respect.

In the end the only thing classless is Rich Hill and the unforgiving LA Dodger fans. At some time, we have to accept apologies and move on from the ULTRA SENSITIVITY that is dooming this nation.

So is it inaccurate? I would say not. Now, if the EPL tried to call their champions the World Champions, then you could mock their league.
Originally Posted By: Y_K
It's a small world you have. Between 2 and four countries, depending how you count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back