Article from Forbes discussion on USD collapse

People aren't "moving" here because they're envious of our economy, they're coming because of our..."enforced generosity". Our military is also at its weakest point, both in terms of equipment and skill, since ~2009, and they're having a massive recruiting shortfall (although that's not a US military-only problem, the UK and other countries are seeing the same thing).

I don't know if the USD is going to collapse, but we're past due for another bubble pop due to various reasons, and I think it's going to make the 2009 recession look like a happy, cheery time.
I guess from that point of view it's time for you to pack up and leave I'm curious of the destination

I guess from that point of view it's time for you to pack up and leave I'm curious of the destination
That's certainly one take on the situation. Not remotely related to what I said, but one take.

Over the past few elections, there have been a lot of famous people who claimed they were going to move out of the US depending on how the election went. Last I checked, they all still live in the US, and they're all still famous and rich. Hmm.

I think you are being a little bit dramatic USA is the envy of the world the most powerful military and economy. If it was what you think people would be leaving not trying to get in.
If we are the envy why does USA news report how much the world hates us?

But to answer your "question" - people leave hopeless corrupt systems for free stuff and maybe just a little more hope. The problem isn't so much the hardworking folks. It's the criminals that come as well, it's their lack of knowledge of what true freedoms and responsibilities entail.

Local elections have elected people born in other countries who truly embrace our entire Constitution and BOR. Others who have little to no demonstration of the understanding why and how these rights exist. Almost as sad as people who have been here for generations. That is the core of many of our problems.

Too many people want mama/daddy .gov

I've been hearing about the USD collapsing my entire life, invest in gold and silver, get back to the gold standard. Usually from someone trying to sell you something and scare tactics seem to really work with some people.

The dollar is worth 98 percent less than it was in the early 1960s…

You think that’s good ?

Cause I don’t.

Sound money went way a long, long time ago.

Approved for and done by both sides for a long, long time.

It has eeen a ticking time bomb for a long time with a VERY long fuse… Now that fuse is getting short…

Look at the world starting to turn away from the US dollar.. Look at the decrease in our credit rating as a country.

We are continually passing markers that are NOT positive…. That’s not a coincidence.

Last edited:
So timing matters, or can you use time in the market?

25 years is a small sample? seems long to me. Also, laws change, so is history from 100 years ago still as applicable today as say 20 years ago?
Yes, but this is not the "personal finance in the USA in 2024" post. Its dollar collapse post. So your frame of reference is not accurate.

Would you want to dollar cost average into German industrial companies in 1930, or Japanese companies in 1980? How about if I offered you some money that you have to hold. Would you rather have it in gold, or the Venezuelan Bolivar.

Closer to home - would you rather dollar cost average into the S&P 500 from 1980 to 2010 then retire, or buy long dated investment grade bonds and roll the capital appreciation over before you dollar cost in each year during the same period.

How about if I offered you some money that you have to hold. Would you rather have it in gold, or the Venezuelan Bolivar
Neither? if you gave me either and I had to take it either way, I'd simply take it and then liquidate it back into cash. Either spend it (free money) or flip into an index fund.

Would you want to dollar cost average into German industrial companies in 1930, or Japanese companies in 1980?
No, but I wasn't investing back then. That was then, this is now.

Closer to home - would you rather dollar cost average into the S&P 500 from 1980 to 2010 then retire
30 years isn't a long time. Yeah I'd love to retire at 55. But had that been the case... work a few more, suck it up buttercup. In 2013 my portfolio was higher than what it was in 2007, and had I been wanting to retire in 2010, shame on me if I hadn't diversified into a low risk portfolio starting in 2005.

Yes, but this is not the "personal finance in the USA in 2024" post. Its dollar collapse post.
You're right, this is a doom and gloom thread. With that I'm out. There's nothing here for me to learn, other than the sky is falling and it'll never be sunny again.

This is what I would call a "drive by" article with little substance but plenty of validation for those who were looking for such things.

I do regret not buying bitcoin back in 2011, but the lack of government regulation has more or less turned it into a criminal global money laundering scheme. Good luck if you are a current "investor."

Same with that bank run by that weirdo kid… Who was a WORLD champion…

Yeah… that was great too…

So much for that government regulation helping there ….

The “ IMPORTANT “ people in the government were in that weirdo wonderboys pocket…

Shocker..

And no… But don’t believe the US taxpayers should bail that bank out… Only the FDIC part should be covered.

Let them fail…

Put weirdo wonderboy in prison…

Neither? if you gave me either and I had to take it either way, I'd simply take it and then liquidate it back into cash. Either spend it (free money) or flip into an index fund.

No, but I wasn't investing back then. That was then, this is now.

30 years isn't a long time. Yeah I'd love to retire at 55. But had that been the case... work a few more, suck it up buttercup. In 2013 my portfolio was higher than what it was in 2007, and had I been wanting to retire in 2010, shame on me if I hadn't diversified into a low risk portfolio starting in 2005.

You're right, this is a doom and gloom thread. With that I'm out. There's nothing here for me to learn, other than the sky is falling and it'll never be sunny again.
This thread was never about investing, nor doom and gloom. Its about a very specific topic to do with currency. Take from it or don't.

If we are the envy why does USA news report how much the world hates us?

But to answer your "question" - people leave hopeless corrupt systems for free stuff and maybe just a little more hope. The problem isn't so much the hardworking folks. It's the criminals that come as well, it's their lack of knowledge of what true freedoms and responsibilities entail.

Local elections have elected people born in other countries who truly embrace our entire Constitution and BOR. Others who have little to no demonstration of the understanding why and how these rights exist. Almost as sad as people who have been here for generations. That is the core of many of our problems.

Too many people want mama/daddy .gov
The world hates us because of our success, power and freedoms

The world hates us because of our success, power and freedoms

We've recently given the world 20 years of reasons to hate us, made conceptually worse by human's need to always have an enemy. Today it's Russia, tomorrow who knows.

We've recently given the world 20 years of reasons to hate us, made conceptually worse by human's need to always have an enemy. Today it's Russia, tomorrow who knows.
Russia has always been a communist enemy to the USA thanks to the Ukraine there doing our dirty work with that we should keep feeding them military equipment. With that comes trickle down economics where people in the USA are put to work making newer and better military equipment. You can call it a form of welfare the government putting people to work.

Once attended a conference where a retired Pentagon General was the Key speaker.
He said (and I quote)
"Everybody hates us and wants to be just like us!'

Back