Why Dollar Stores are bad for health, and aren't actually that cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who aren't aware of just how bad Dollar Stores actually are for the health of communities and how they are actually even more expensive and designed to make lower income people even poorer, I strongly suggest taking a watch of this video. It should be an eye opener on why local small town grocers, and even big box grocery chains are way, WAY better than Dollar Stores.

Dollar Tree is great even for the rich.
Blake doesn't go to the dollar store for premium steaks and filets.
The Dollar General was a great service for me in a remote area.
They opened up a store 3 miles away and it was a godsend because my terminally ill
mother was under my care and being that close allowed me to get many things she needed.
I was there today. I didn't watch the video but have seen others.

I have much gratitude for them. My mother survived 5 years instead of the 1 she was given.
Any dollar store is not a substitute for a grocery store.

My lady friend lives between two small rural towns. Each has a Dollar General and a small supermarket named Hy-Klas. The Dollar General is very competitive with the grocery store. There are towns here in NW missouri that the only store is Dollar General. Nearest big stores are miles away. IMW you can give your money to Dollar stores or the oil companies to get to the big stores. All comes out the same or close to it.

Another "authoritative" youtube video....Why do we post this garbage?
I didn't watch it...won't give the guy clicks. But what I can tell you is that I have traveled the roads of America-including many isolated small towns. The nearest grocery store is miles away. However-there are usually a Family Dollar or Dollar General that provides a service to the community. It's a great place if you are RV traveling and need a thing or two.

My lady friend lives between two small rural towns. Each has a Dollar General and a small supermarket named Hy-Klas. The Dollar General is very competitive with the grocery store. There are towns here in NW missouri that the only store is Dollar General. Nearest big stores are miles away. IMW you can give your money to Dollar stores or the oil companies to get to the big stores. All comes out the same or close to it.
Agreed. Many Dollar Stores here have vegetables and fruit and other fresh items. Not so bad. They also sell premade salads.

I'm sure the folks who write these expose's have never needed a jug of milk or eggs and don't want to travel to save a buck or two.:whistle:

I can't stand to go in a Dollar General. There's one about 3 miles from our house, I might go in there once a year. Even then, they may or may not have what I've gone in for..... usually milk, sour cream, etc. I have no use for them otherwise. There's one near where we are at the lake. I can promise this DG has the highest household income people shopping there in the entire country and it STILL looks like a dump. We're probably talking the average household income for the shoppers there is +$250k/year. And it's in a very rural area.

Reactions: JC1
I've never seen a gallon of milk carton of eggs, package of cheese, sour cream, etc., at DG that was cheaper than the grocery store another 1.5 miles down the road.
In the rural areas, the grocery stores might be 10 or 20 miles away.

At 1.5 miles, I don't see the benefit of DG at all.

I've never seen a gallon of milk carton of eggs, package of cheese, sour cream, etc., at DG that was cheaper than the grocery store another 1.5 miles down the road.
I have hardly ever seen a grocery store a mile or so down the road from these stores. They are several in "underserved" locations of small towns.

I can't stand to go in a Dollar General. There's one about 3 miles from our house, I might go in there once a year. Even then, they may or may not have what I've gone in for..... usually milk, sour cream, etc. I have no use for them otherwise. There's one near where we are at the lake. I can promise this DG has the highest household income people shopping there in the entire country and it STILL looks like a dump. We're probably talking the average household income for the shoppers there is +$250k/year. And it's in a very rural area.

Apparently it is nice enough for them to come in.

In the rural areas, the grocery stores might be 10 or 20 miles away.

At 1.5 miles, I don't see the benefit of DG at all.

The Publix that I'm referring to has been open almost 2 years, it's the 1.5 miles farther. Not sure I've stopped at the DG since it's opened, other than to look for some piece of hardware that I was trying to find....they didn't have it, neither did the hardware store across the road nor the Oreilly's farther down the road.

I consider Dollar stores 'convenience stores'. They are everywhere and I don't mind paying a little more for a couple of things if it saves me from going to Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back