Texas weather and oil life monitor

Texas we having bad weather in next couple day . I crank my truck and it say “ change engine oil soon “ 4% . I will be using my truck daily drive long drive . Should I man up and change it or I be fine for next couple day .

How many miles left can I drive at 4% oil life ? Thank you .
IMG_3758.jpeg

Don’t be a panzsy… :LOL: Change it. 10 F ain’t that bad.

In all seriousness it would be just fine to wait until it warms up 3-4 days later.

For the record the coldest I have changed the oil in my Nissan it was in the mid teens and a windchill around 0 F. Definitely chilly but it was not too bad.

Haha, this is all psychological. It’s very hard on a bittoger to see the OLM light on. No, the oil does not suddenly change into a horrible acid when the light OLM term is up. Relax and let the cold snap dissipate and find a convenient time to get it done. Perhaps putting a piece of electrical tape over the lit area will get it off your mind. ;)

I've changed it when very cold out and deal with it. However, I won't change it when it's raining, a heavy snow or when there are windy conditions that will blow the oil stream away from the drain pan.

Keep in mind you're more mistake prone doing work outside when its bitter cold.

The OLM is a ball park metric. No need to come to a screeching stop and shut the engine off within a nanosecond when/if the OLM hits zero. It does not work like that.

Cars are here to serve us. We are not here to serve our cars. Change it later. Your F-150 will never, ever know the difference.

Your truck won't explode and die, or otherwise be irreparably harmed, if you overrun the IOLM by a few hundred miles; it's fine to change it after the weather has passed.

If you are concerned about the appearance of the IOLM going past it's "due date", then go ahead and reset the IOLM now, and then just change it a few days later.

Today is a better day vs tommorow in Texas depending on your actual location.
Use the fancy remote start to warm it up, but stay inside.
Better yet, pull it into the garage, fire up the space heater, come back in an hour or so.
Wear 2-3 layers, and get'er done.

How many miles are on this change ?. If you look thru the used oil changes section, just about every oil that has been submitted for testing, say to go longer on the oil change. So if your 4% works out to 400 miles, you more that likely will never notice any difference by going further.,,,

Leave the oil for a couple days.

Fill up the tires to remedy the TPMS concern. Driving hundreds of miles with oil that needs to be changed no issue. Flipping the truck from an overheated tire and blowout, that's another story.

Thank guy . Imma top it off and change it next weekend . Funny is my oil life go Down even when I park it 4 week .
what year of Truck? I only ask, B/c some of Fords OLM systems are smarter than others....
My old 2009 Sable for example, and My mom's 2009 Taurus, Largely Short Tripped, ( I live 4.5 Mi from work, hers can sit for weeks at a time since she retired, and they Take Dad's Escape most places)
I've noticed over the years, that the OLM in those cars, would drop a percentage point per day.

when I bought the Sable, it popped up like that almost immediately, even though the Dealer had changed the oil when they took it in on trade..(sometime in NOV.)...and then sat there for 3 months... it was just about to be shipped to auction when i bought it(Jan 24).

unless you went on a trip, a few hours of Highway driving and it wouldn't drop, but in my Normal commute, it wanted me to change the oil every 100 days. didn't matter what I set the parameter to in the ECU with Forscan... 1% drop every day...
the first time it came up, I pumped a sample up the dipstick tube and sent it to Blackstone, just to be sure...
The oil was Fine. they said just to Reset the OLM. which is what I did the rest of the time i owned that car. change it every 6mos/5k mi whichever came first (usually 6 mos, April and Nov.)

Back