Are Subarus really that sensitive

I had a '92 Loyale back in the day. She wasn't sensitive at all. I beat on her and called her all sorts of names, and she just kept on doing her job like I wasn't even there.

Here in the suburbs, most Crosstreks and Outbacks are driven by young mothers hoping to avoid the stereotype of the minivan-driving soccer mom.
If I bought a new car tomorrow (which I'm not), I'd definitely buy a Sienna. My next choice would be some type of Outback or Forester sized vehicle. Being middle - middle class, you really can't beat the value of about $25-28k for a Forester and 30-32mpgs on the highway. Have friends with a Suburban and they said they like all the room. Well, for half the price you can get about the same room and half the gas cost in a minivan. But I guess some people don't see spending $30k extra and $50 extra per month in gas as losing out on $90k+ in retirement in a couple decades.

In some ways Subaru cars are pretty cheap and crappy. In other ways they keep on going and going. A "Single friend" of the wife is on Subie #4 or 5. 3 of them died on their own, one the dealer actually left the drain plug loose (only case ever I've seen where engine seized so yes lights were ignored, etc, because Subaru)

ODD though - There are several threads like this, I will wait for Kshahn to find them all. People questioning Sub

Sheet metal and parts and bits are pretty chintzy. Some sound deadening needed.

But most of the stuff in the OP isn't true.
Their price point is rock solid. It's a vehicle for someone wanting value. And you get what you pay for. Overall, great AWD system, engines are 🤷‍♂️...some have their issues over the years, some are fine (pretty typical to any manufacturer), transmissions (CVT) seem ok, they've recalled a few things on ours (i.e. airbag sensor and AC condenser) but then lug nuts and studs and wheel bearings seem to prematurely die from my car experiences. In 25 years of driving cars never had a lug stud snap or replaced wheel bearings. Maybe I was just lucky before. But yeah, they aren't "upscale". They're a value oriented, AWD vehicle, in my opinion. A couple brands have similar vehicles at the price point, but overall Subaru is a decent value. But it seems like everyone I know that's owned more than one just raves about them and will say they've never had issues with theirs (even if they've shared issues they've had in the past), etc. I gripe about the stupid things on my wife's and my mother in law (on her 4th or 5th) says, "I've never had major trouble with mine!" And I might say, "except the torque converter at 100k or so on your last one that cost like $3k." "I forgot about that." "Or the head gasket on..." "Ok, I forget about those things."

Somehow they brainwash their owners to forget about anything that's ever gone wrong with their cars 🤣 With that said, I'd buy another Forester knowing that, like any car, is going to have odd quirks.

Their price point is rock solid. It's a vehicle for someone wanting value. And you get what you pay for bla...bla...bla
Pretty much. Past problems HG leakage....total disaster...unforgivable. The FB engine had oil u se issues for 3 years...another disaster.
FA engine is one of the best on the planet. AWD is as good as any. Boxer engine mounted inline and it sits low. Safety..as good as it gets.

I redline my last three several times/week. They use no oil. They are a good value.

It's the first new car for a lot of the kiddos in these groups, they act weird and think they are race car drivers.
There is a certain truth to that. I've been on forums where a kid gets a new car, say, for 16th birthday or HS graduation. Suddenly the parent's car has to be left parked out in the cold and snow, because you know the kid's "race car" needs to stay warm and dry. Or kid now needs a ride to school the rest of the week because his 1000 mile oil-change interval is rapidly coming due. There was one kid on the Cobalt SS forum who got a new base-model Cobalt for his birthday. but a few weeks later he found out there was a performance model available (the supercharged SS) and he had a hissy fit until his parents traded-in the base model in favor of one of the SS models.

There is a certain truth to that. I've been on forums where a kid gets a new car, say, for 16th birthday or HS graduation. Suddenly the parent's car has to be left parked out in the cold and snow, because you know the kid's "race car" needs to stay warm and dry. Or kid now needs a ride to school the rest of the week because his 1000 mile oil-change interval is rapidly coming due. There was one kid on the Cobalt SS forum who got a new base-model Cobalt for his birthday. but a few weeks later he found out there was a performance model available (the supercharged SS) and he had a hissy fit until his parents traded-in the base model in favor of one of the SS models.
Sad yet funny at the same time for the kid making his parents (or letting your kid) make you park outside.

I had an insurance claim with a Mitsubishi Evo where the kid insisted that NO ONE drive his car, including the mechanics at the shop. They had the kid come in to move it from the repair bay to the paint booth an back. IDK how the rest of the story went but sounds clown world to me. I know most techs would not have cared.

Had a new 67 vw beetle,,never an issue,,,sold it in 1972 I dont think I can buy one for 1600 dollars today,lol

Have you ever owned one?
No, but I've worked on plenty of them. The AWD system is fantastic, but that is about all they have going for them. The power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel mileage of a V6. They rot out quicker than any other Asian vehicle here in New England. Most have the CVT now which has awful driving dynamics, and they feel extremely cheap inside. I dated a girl who had a 2017 WRX STI back when it was new, and for the price it felt pretty cheaply built, and had a bunch of issues it needed to go to the dealer for. It was a quick car for sure, but driving it on the highway felt like being in a tin can.

Says the guy who owns a Jeep....
Oh Jeeps are not good vehicles at all. I love my Wrangler with it's 4.0L engine, but I would never recommend a newer Jeep to someone who wants a reliable vehicle, especially anything with the 3.8L or 3.7L V6.

"I know a 4-door midsize sedan would serve my family better, but my real priority is maintaining the appearance of being cool and trendy and eco-friendly. So I bought an AWD Subaru that never leaves the pavement."
Well, it’s your money 🧐

No, but I've worked on plenty of them. The AWD system is fantastic, but that is about all they have going for them. The power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel mileage of a V6. They rot out quicker than any other Asian vehicle here in New England. Most have the CVT now which has awful driving dynamics, and they feel extremely cheap inside. I dated a girl who had a 2017 WRX STI back when it was new, and for the price it felt pretty cheaply built, and had a bunch of issues it needed to go to the dealer for. It was a quick car for sure, but driving it on the highway felt like being in a tin can.

Oh Jeeps are not good vehicles at all. I love my Wrangler with it's 4.0L engine, but I would never recommend a newer Jeep to someone who wants a reliable vehicle, especially anything with the 3.8L or 3.7L V6.
Good - looks like my 3.6L made the cut 👀

Thrush Cherry bombs
70's? I recall Cherrybombs were made by Maremont but not Thrush, their competitor. Thrush made a nice sounding competing glasspack with a center resonator chamber, but they were tin cans. We thought the tarted up graphic on them looked really messed up hanging under the car.

Mid 70's Ran the cherry bomb on my single exhaust Hi-Comp Buick Nailhead 401 in a G.M. C-body. Sounded magnificent. But a lot of backpressure compared to a Corvair turbo muffler. Couldnt afford headers and duals until a few years later - by then I was in a '74 Vega GT with a 327 and TH350.

Thrush Glasspack

thrush glasspack.jpg

Back