Going Conventional... am I nuts...?

Unless you are using a Group 4 oil “Syntheric” is more or less just a marketing term.

I’ve been running Lubrication Engineers conventional in my tired ‘96 7.3L PSD for a couple of hears now and it ‘s cut the oil consumption to 10% of the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil I used to use. The conventional LE product actually costs more than Mobil 1 initially but is cheaper overall since I don’t have to add much oil between changes.

I believe that motorcycle shifting smoothness vs notchiness is more a function of additive packages rather that the base stock itself, but I can’t back that up with irrefutable facts.

The owner's manual for my 2014 Honda Rancher ATV recommends a conventional oil even though Honda sells a synthetic oil for motorcycles and ATVS. I tried the full synthetic in it when it was fairly new and I had more engine noise and ticking. I later went with another brand semi-synthetic and that didn't cut the noise down much. On this last oil change I went back to the Honda conventional oil and the engine is much quieter. I've owned this ATV since new and its had quite a few oil changes for its low mileage. It has around 480 miles on it and doesn't get used much these days.

Back