Tesla more expensive to repair than a real car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet a Mercedes or F150 doesn't end up totalled over similar damage.....

Or a Rolls Royce.....

Seems there is more to see here than you would like to see.

go pinch an A8 the same way and see what happens.

IF telsa falls out whack cost wise - the insurance industry will keep them in check -

When we see mass declination of coverage for tesla then there will be something to see - until then I see no news.

UD

Originally Posted By: dogememe
My 97 Suburban was salvaged in 2013 because the front grille is cracked and the front fender was dented. Probably they said they had to repaint the whole vehicle to match or something. When the vehicle has a blue book value of a couple grand at most I get it. The industry is messed up though, why salvage older cars like that.

You don't have to salvage it, you just have to take it back and pay to repair it yourself so the insurance co is not on the hook.

I can go to a Ford dealer and purchase an aluminum body part for an F-150. Try that with a Tesla. Good luck.

And don't dare hit a bump with one of the front wheels or you'll be driving a 3-wheeler. The front suspension has been failing at an alarming rate.

There are too many real cars one can select and take a pass on a Tesla.

As much As I dislike Tesla as a whole, is this any different from a boutique company? Granted Ferrari and Lamborghini are much more expensive. Never liked the super proprietary cheap from tesla.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

IF telsa falls out whack cost wise - the insurance industry will keep them in check -

When we see mass declination of coverage for tesla then there will be something to see - until then I see no news.

UD

I've already seen worse on an A8 put back out on the road. Granted, it was $12k in repairs, but perfectly in line with the damage. I had similar damage to my old Lincoln and was quoted $9k.

My old warehouse was half a mile down the street from an exotic auto body.

There is something to see here for anyone considering a higher end Tesla.

Wouldn't count on the insurance companies keeping Tesla in check. Seems they're already wildly out of control, especially with their business model.

But if anything, this is probably good news for the average Tesla owner. No need to beat up the insurance company to total it.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
As much As I dislike Tesla as a whole, is this any different from a boutique company? Granted Ferrari and Lamborghini are much more expensive. Never liked the super proprietary cheap from tesla.

Ferrari and Lamborghini sell even to people they don't like. Know a few people with aftermarket turbos. Nobody they hate more than those guys. Still sell them parts.

There are even some DIY guys who literally do everything on those cars and get parts.

Mercedes has an entire division dedicated to getting parts for people restoring and maintaining their cars.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

I've already seen worse on an A8 put back out on the road. Granted, it was $12k in repairs, but perfectly in line with the damage. I had similar damage to my old Lincoln and was quoted $9k.

My old warehouse was half a mile down the street from an exotic auto body.

There is something to see here for anyone considering a higher end Tesla.

Wouldn't count on the insurance companies keeping Tesla in check. Seems they're already wildly out of control, especially with their business model.

But if anything, this is probably good news for the average Tesla owner. No need to beat up the insurance company to total it.

Wow 12K on that car in exactly the same place ? Any picts?

If you can't insure it - you can't get a loan for it -

Insurance companies keep the masses in check so if he has a problem like you all say he better fix it before the model 3 ships en masse or they'll cost a fortune to insure.

UD

Last edited:

Ferrari and Lamborghini sell even to people they don't like. Know a few people with aftermarket turbos. Nobody they hate more than those guys. Still sell them parts.

There are even some DIY guys who literally do everything on those cars and get parts.

Mercedes has an entire division dedicated to getting parts for people restoring and maintaining their cars.

Parts are always interesting to see how manufacturers handle them.

You can't buy a dial from rolex unless you are an authorized dealer.

Ive always made good money selling parts and had a division to do so, but selling someone parts and having their work be warranty approved is likely an issue.

There are not really an "old" telsas yet so the majority of the parts he sells today have to carry warranty and a certain % of play cars he guaranteed resale value on them so its not surprising that he wants to control the aftermarket to a great extent this early on.

One things for sure I think everyone can agree on is that buying from them will not be like buying from a dealer network.

UD

Tesla buyers are like Ferrari buyers they have a sign on their backs saying kick me.

Watched this the other day, and reckon the guy who built it is a legend.

However Tesla wouldn't sell he squat...

Seems a little off to me, but I dot know what may be underneath that. Seems high if its just body but I don't know what I don't know about it.

but I will never quote any of my clients anything without seeing something and looking it over very thoroughly.

I'm in etc middle of an insurance job now on a grooming van non one wanted to touch

Dave

Originally Posted By: Shannow

However Tesla wouldn't sell he squat...

Maybe he could have worked a deal with a Tesla certified place that can buy parts?

They are pretty easy to find.

UD

What's going to happen when Musk runs out of financial games playing with Tesla and moves on to rocket ships fulltime? Is Musk the Tucker of today?

Contrary to how it sounds in this thread there are many body shops that repair aluminum vehicles. And more aluminum than you think in vehicles you would not believe. Being an Al shop requires a huge investment as Al tools can rarely be used on steel. Usually a higher priced shop.

And vehicle mfgrs have been making it hard on the aftermarket forever. Ask Trav or others here who repair vehicles what software for the newest cars costs! They'll give it to you but the hoops you must jump through are ridiculous. As are the expenses...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back