Repairing fabric splash guard

The screw holes for fabric underbody guard have ripped on my Fusion. See photo. What’s the best / least expensive way to repair this? Drill new holes and attached to the vehicle with zip ties? Any help would be great.

IMG_0029.jpeg

I'd look to see if there is a metal or plastic replacement part. I've never seen a cloth or soft splash guard

I wonder if it could be unattached, then stitched like they would fix a hole in a football Jersey or whatnot. Alternately, I wonder if you could use an intermediate piece of something robust (indoor/outdoor carpet, window screen, etc), and secure it with nylon rivets and washers.

The screw holes for fabric underbody guard have ripped on my Fusion. See photo. What’s the best / least expensive way to repair this? Drill new holes and attached to the vehicle with zip ties? Any help would be great.

View attachment 174882
Is this another....FORD has a better idea....Fabric... :ROFLMAO:

I made one out of corrugated plastic. The one Hyundai used is so fragile all the replacements I ordered came in broken....

So because German cars use it that makes it good... I rather have plastic or sheet metal...IMO

Sheet metal rusts. The history of rusted out wheel wheels shows that. Plastic is better and this fabric solution helps quiet down the noise from the wheel area. Most newer cars use this solution now.

Sheet metal rusts. The history of rusted out wheel wheels shows that. Plastic is better and this fabric solution helps quiet down the noise from the wheel area. Most newer cars use this solution now.
I will take plastic...

I will take plastic...

Mine has plastic but that is covered with a fabric carpet like material.

The problem might be the backing material. It has to endure not only dirt and chemicals like salt but also freezing and extreme high temperatures. Maybe Ford cheapened out on that?

Reactions: hrv
I'd see if I can find a junkyard slash guard and if all of those are rotten too, get the best one there anyway and just consider it a piece of material, to cut out sections of it to replace the damaged ones on yours, sew and/or epoxy them together, or use rivets with washers. I mean overlapping them, not end to end connect the patch piece.

Another option is just cut the torn area straight, and rivet/washer it to a piece of sheet aluminum that is the ear that bolts onto the vehicle. In the case pictured, it looks like a flat mount with enough clearance around it to do that without much trouble.

I'd see if I can find a junkyard slash guard and if all of those are rotten too, get the best one there anyway and just consider it a piece of material, to cut out sections of it to replace the damaged ones on yours, sew and/or epoxy them together, or use rivets with washers. I mean overlapping them, not end to end connect the patch piece.

Another option is just cut the torn area straight, and rivet/washer it to a piece of sheet aluminum that is the ear that bolts onto the vehicle. In the case pictured, it looks like a flat mount with enough clearance around it to do that without much trouble.
Do you recommend rivets to join the fabric to the sheet of metal instead of nuts and bolts?

^ Wouldn't really matter, I mean rivets are cheaper but the typical hardware store rivets are smaller and thus would probably rust out faster.

Since the fabric has demonstrated it is prone to ripping, the main thing to me would be find some nice large washers, like fender washers since they have a large outer diameter relative to their inner diameter. The fastener strength itself would not need to be much besides the potential rust issue already mentioned. If rust is a serious issue then I might even consider stainless sheet and stainless fasteners but the picture didn't suggest there is much rust.

Back