Taurus 327

great CC round, plenty of power in a small package. Cost is expensive for the round because it isn't "mainstream".....I will also say that shooting the 327 out of a small revolver is LOUDDDDDD!!! AND, before the Anti-Taurus crowd comes in, I have 2 Taurus revolvers with THOUSANDS of rounds through them (I reload and have my own "range") without ANY issues.

Yeah I thought someone put a Chevy 327 in a Taurus.
In 11th grade auto mechanics, we installed a rebuilt 327 SBC engine into a 1972 Toyota HILUX. The paint and body shop did the body work and painted it dark blue with metal flake in the paint.
After tubbing it we installed a narrowed 9" differential, Muncie 4 speed, traction bars, disc brakes up front, drum in the rear.
I don't remember what became of that truck. :unsure:
BTW, do high schools still have auto mechanics, welding, and paint & body classes?

great CC round, plenty of power in a small package. Cost is expensive for the round because it isn't "mainstream".....I will also say that shooting the 327 out of a small revolver is LOUDDDDDD!!! AND, before the Anti-Taurus crowd comes in, I have 2 Taurus revolvers with THOUSANDS of rounds through them (I reload and have my own "range") without ANY issues.
agree, regarding both 327/32 ammo high price & low availability, and high quality of taurus centerfire revolvers. a reliable, reasonably priced defensive revolver that accepts 32long is perfect for the infirm or elderly.

Eh, hard pass on an esoteric round of which I can see no true advantage and many disadvantages (availability and costs), from a gun maker known to produce sub-par guns and have atrocious customer service. YMMV.

You're buying a Taurus presumably to save money, but then spending $2 bucks per round on some esoteric .327 ??? Makes no sense.

The design is also not sensible. For something designed as a light carry gun, you'd want something without a spurred hammer or with a covered hammer. A major selling point on a small compact revolver is shooting THRU your coat pocket, or drawing from deep concealment. The last thing you want is a hammer catching on clothing.

For the price tag, you'd be far ahead of the game getting an older SW 642 or similar. Far better quality and if you cannot solve the problem with a .38 or .357, it's not solvable with a .327 either.

About the ONLY real advantage of the .327 is sometimes stuffing 7 rounds into a frame suitable for only 6 in .357, or cutting weight on the frame with 6 rounds - but really weight is your friend when firing a hot load in a small package so I'm not sold on the "airweights" b/c when you fire them you regret it. And, training is very important but folks skimp on training when:
1) ammo costs are high, such as a esoteric .327
2) it's painful to shoot, such as an airweight revolver....

This seems to have both problems which deter training.

I wanted a Ruger SP101 in 327 when it came out, got a chance to throw a cylinder downrange and thought it quite nice. Not sure I would want to reload magnum rounds but at H & R levels it probably would be just fine for plinking.

What's the .327 round have over a 38 Spl +P or .357 Mag?

Higher capacity.
The ability to use .327 Federal, or .32 H&R magnum or .32 S&W ammo.
Not higher capacity in a revolver. Ballistically, what's .327 have over .357 Mag ... or even .38 Spl +P?

Not higher capacity in a revolver. Ballistically, what's .327 have over .357 Mag ... or even .38 Spl +P?
It IS higher capacity because the same size cylinder can hold an extra round or two.

Look at the Ruger SP-101.

5 rounds of .357. 6 rounds of .327. That is clearly higher capacity in a revolver. Same frame. Same cylinder. Narrower round. More capacity.

.327 has got nothing ballistically on the .357, but it does have similar muzzle energy to the .38spl +P.

So, more rounds in the same frame, with the same per round effectiveness.

⬆️ ... I'll just stay with my .38/.357 revolvers. Rather have access to more and cheaper ammo than 1 more round.

I can tailor to about anything I want since there is .38 Special, .38 Spl also in +P and +P+, and .357 Mag to choose from. So essentially in 4 power levels. And in about any bullet type imaginable.

Last edited:
It offers nothing over a .38 or .357 in the real world.

Yes, as I said above, EITHER higher capacity in the same size OR lighter weight or thinner gun in same size package. The former is a theoretical advantage, 7 rounds over 6. It may be no advantage, moot, or even a liability (1 more miss). At best it's a possible advantage. The latter (lighter weight) is again an advantage for carrying it but a disadvantage for shooting it, since some heft of steel aids in absorbing recoil (which in turn means greater likelihood of practice, which aids in user ability and accuracy).

Both "advantages" of the .327 are, IMO at best, theoretical on paper. In practice, I don't think they amount to much.

The real world disadvantages of 1) more expensive ammo and 2) harder recoil in a lighter gun, mean that the end user is likely going to shoot/practice a lot less and therefore be less confident and accurate with the firearm.

For me the .327 is a hard pass. YMMV.

Also, let's just take a quick look at all the "latest best" cartridges that never really caught on and/or lasted a very short time on the market b/c they answered questions nobody asked and failed to provide any sufficient justification to exist as superior to current common offerings; A short list would include:
* .32 HR, .401 Powermag, 9x21, 38 Super, all the WSM and WSSM rifle chamberings, 5.7, 10mm, .41 mag, .45 GAP, .38 Casull, .357 Sig, .400 Corbon, .40 Super, .45 Super, and let's not forget about the Gyrojet! Then there's probably a dozen oddball rifle calibers that went by the wayside, I'm forgetting.

Your list is specious. It undermines your contention - "never really caught on and/or lasted a very short time on the market"...

And then you list .38 Super, which has been in production for nearly 100 years. Hard to say that it "never caught on" or "lasted a very short time on the market" when guns are still made in that caliber after 100 years.

10mm has seen a resurgence, and nearly every manufacturer makes a 10mm. Colt, Glock, Kimber, Springfield, Sig, S&W, Les Baer, to name but a few.

You may not have a use for those calibers. But you are clearly not the market.

Your list is specious. It undermines your contention - "never really caught on and/or lasted a very short time on the market"...

And then you list .38 Super, which has been in production for nearly 100 years. Hard to say that it "never caught on" or "lasted a very short time on the market" when guns are still made in that caliber after 100 years.

10mm has seen a resurgence, and nearly every manufacturer makes a 10mm. Colt, Glock, Kimber, Springfield, Sig, S&W, Les Baer, to name but a few.

You may not have a use for those calibers. But you are clearly not the market.
Sure, the Katana and the .54 caliber ball were both really popular too, at one point. I'm talking about contemporary times, and cartridges which are largely COMMERCIALLY irrelevant.

I think you're interpreting my list too literally. Clearly there are different ends of the spectrum, COMMERCIALLY, from "esoteric" to "irrelevant." "Never caught on," sure, perhaps the .38 super isn't a great example, but few make anything in that chambering for 3-5 decades now... it's safe to say it's no longer very relevant.

Edited to add: To be clear, these are all viable, useful, lethal tools. But to varying degrees they have been commercially replaced by items deemed superior for this or that reason by the consuming public. 100 years is a commercial success, sure, but that doesn't mean that it's currently commercially relevant b/c few makers produce anything in that product.

Across all lines, who makes anything that shoots a .327 magnum? Ruger has 4 models, apparently Taurus has a model. I bet these represent 5% or less of their sales. Esoteric and irrelevant. I would not be investing heavily in a caliber that likely won't be around or supported in a decade. YMMV.

Last edited:
I would not be investing heavily in a caliber that likely won't be around or supported in a decade. YMMV.
Has there been a round made up/invented in the last fifty years that just disappeared like this? Various 32’s and 41mag comes to mind, but those are much older and date back to people bought much less ammo. 45 GAP maybe? (don’t know about rifle round though).

If you don't like or want a caliber, then state your case and move on. Repeating over and over you don't like something and listing, multiple times the bulleted reasons why not............seems, dry at best.

I don't have anything 327. But I don't hate it..........seems like a fun target round. Might get into it.

10mm is quite popular. Just saying.

Back