Tactful way find out job applicant current salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never answer this on a job interview, it's none of their business what I make now. What's important is market value for the position in that regions job market. It's more appropriate to ask for expected salary to make sure you aren't wasting each others time.

What REALLY bothers me is when employers don't put a salary range on their job postings. Why would I waste my time going through the application process etc only to find out the salary they are offering is way low. I usually just skim over postings with empty pay ranges now.... If Employers supplied that info the first place, they'd probably waste much less time weeding thorough applicants.

Most companies don't put salary range in their job postings, but people working in that field know what ____ position pays.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Most companies don't put salary range in their job postings, but people working in that field know what ____ position pays.

Right, but the whole point of finding out what someone makes is so you can potentially underpay them.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Right, but the whole point of finding out what someone makes is so you can potentially underpay them.

Not where I work.

Underpaid employee is gone within 6 months and then have to search for another qualified person that can hit the ground running. Why sabotage your business by low balling employees that will quit soon after getting hired ?

That's pretty much it without sugar coating it.

Not where I work.

Underpaid employee is gone within 6 months and then have to search for another qualified person that can hit the ground running. Why sabotage your business by low balling employees that will quit soon after getting hired ?

LOL, then you don't need to know their current salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back