Synthetic cold flow test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
This combined with a stop watch would be better, cheaper, and use actual (recorded) seconds to move 1 quart …
(Database or spreadsheet)

Or if cold pumping really matters ~ run 0w and check the MRV of that product …

That a paint viscosity funnel?

Snag is he's running a comparative test.

To do that with this kit, you'd either have to buy a lot of them and put them in his rig (which will be quite a lot more expensive and perhaps only slightly better from a manufacturing tolerance point of view) or you'll have to run a whole test series, at -20C outside (assuming this uncontrolled temperature is maintained constant, which is unlikely) cleaning the kit between runs.

This will give you major variable control problems

And frostbite.

And maybe sleep deprivation psychosis and marital breakdown.

I don't think you've thought this through.

I reckon his rigs not bad, (though I think I could put something better and cheaper together) but I'm not sure that the result tells you anything very useful.

To be fair he doesn't make any big claims for significance, just presents the results for interest, so that's fair enough.

Last edited:
Did anyone note that the oil levels he poured to were not the same levels. The M1 EP had more oil to start with than ALL of them and even more that Regular M1. He shouldve measured how much was in all of them. That's a major flaw since the first one to pour wins. Otherwise good setup.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think the test is a very nice simple test regardless of those who always seem to have negative comments. Ed

The challenge though is to show it has relevancy. A taste test for oils is also very nice and simple but irrlevant.

Maybe it is relevant, I really don't know. Is the test illustrating something that is otherwise not tested or unavailable for commercial oils? Is it showing some significant parameter of engine oil that isn't adequately described by an existing test?

Good test. No real surprises. I would be curious to know how much of a difference there would be when it is -30C outside.

Only thing worthy of note is Canadian Tire's Formula 1 is now made by CITGO. In the test, he used the Shell-made version of F1.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
New to me test. What the frick with Royal Purple. You would think it would be better
Why would we think Royal Purple would be better? Marketing ? The color?

The price!
(~$38/jug at my local WM a couple of days ago)

Funny I just watched this last night. It’s a good test. Could it be better and more accurate? Sure. But I think it does a good job of at least showing which oils do better (M1 and Pennzoil) and which do worse (Castrol and RP). Would love to see EDGE 0W-30 in that test
wink.gif

You time how long it takes to pass 1 quart (to the marker line in the cup) … the funnel has a monobore tube …
do that a hundred times with this same kit if desired …

You time how long it takes to pass 1 quart (to the marker line in the cup) … the funnel has a monobore tube …
do that a hundred times with this same kit if desired …

I don't desire.

And you don't mention how or if you would address the issues (see above) involved in doing a comparative test using this kit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Funny I just watched this last night. It’s a good test. Could it be better and more accurate? Sure. But I think it does a good job of at least showing which oils do better (M1 and Pennzoil) and which do worse (Castrol and RP). Would love to see EDGE 0W-30 in that test
wink.gif

Amazing how many times the phrase "do better" has been used here without any consideration at all of what "better" might mean.

This test shows which oil drains fastest through a funnel. I don't find that a very obvious or convincing definition of "better" for an engine.

It presumably relates roughly to lower low temperature viscosity, but not directly to pumpability or cold cranking, for which there are established tests and standards.

Unfortunately, MRV and CCS are quite often not provided. Companies usually just state the SAE min/max.

Sorry cold flow test as the temp wasn't very cold. Should have tested at -25F. for a better cold flow test.

Dude bought Amsoil and Royal Purple but not Red Line to test as well
confused2.gif
crazy2.gif

edit - also the levels were not all equal, M1 EP had more in it than others, Castrol EP had the less. Results not valid

Last edited:
Dont say it too loud. Someone who is on a PAO diet only is gonna get heartburn seeing how GTL based PUP did. Again, its the additives not the base.
thumbsup2.gif
too all the brands. Didnt see a few others in the lineup.Guess they weren't up to par.MotoMaster did pretty good. No foil protection on it either. Could be Shell with a balaclava on.

This is actually a standard viscosity test kit … KPI is seconds/quart … record time to exactly 1 quart … then do another …
Several here noticed this guy was not even accurate with his no restrictions dump test ~
he worked hard … it was interesting ~ but off …

This is actually a standard viscosity test kit … KPI is seconds/quart … record time to exactly 1 quart … then do another …

Jings!

HOW MANY TIMES?

"Then do another" means you have to clean the kit thoroughly between samples and control ALL the test conditions while you do ALL the samples, and if you've got "scientific" pretensions you'll have to do them in triplicate.

Since that will take a very long time, and since you are relying on THE WEATHER for temperature control, which is critical, it probably isn't practical.

Your repeated avoidance of this point illustrates rather well why his approach is a better fit with his audience.

People don't want lots of wurdz and numberrz. They don't have the attention span or the interest, maybe not even the comprehension.

They want "nice simple" Youtube videos, and that's what he's providing.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
showing which oils do better (M1 and Pennzoil) and which do worse (Castrol and RP).

For my climate I see the opposite in that test - the ''thicker'' Castrol is the winner for me.

Your Oil pump will not no the DIFFERANCE ,Day or night . WOW I wonder if FOMULATORS loose any sleep over test like this . Should throw away Millions of $ Test Equipment in junk yards .

Originally Posted By: tig1
Sorry cold flow test as the temp wasn't very cold. Should have tested at -25F. for a better cold flow test.
^^^^ Agree. Where I live -5 is a heat wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back