Anyone still using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?

In a recent post comparing QSFS to PP a member claimed that his Subaru went through PUP as if he'd "left the drain plug out". Has anybody else found their engine used more oil when running PUP?

I ask because I have a decent stock of this oil (SN rated) that I was planning to start using in my daughters Mazda CX-30 but won't if this is the case. Her Mazda burns no oil in the 5 to 7K OCIs that it's had using QSUD, M1, Idemitsu 0w20 syn. and PP and even with the Citgo syn. that Midas used when she was far from home. Since I don't get to keep an eye on the oil level of her Mazda as I do with my own cars I'd save the PUP for my cars if in fact it tends to burn off in some vehicles. (I'm pretty sure she never looks at her dipstick despite my teachings.)

PS: I even have 2 OCI's worth of the 5w20 SM PUP from 2010 that was a darling of this site when it first came out...I'll probably use it in my 2008 Corolla which was back spec'd for 5w20 and calls for SL oil on the oil cap.
This is a interesting observation regarding Subaru & PUP..

recently w/ a Subaru 2.5L 2014 40 ish K miles, no mechanical issues and no noticeable oil consumption over the years..
I swapped out the dealer oil with PUP 0W20 & a OEM filter, filled up to the full mark on dip stick, (factory spec + .3 qt to get 100% on dip stick)
ran engine verified no leaks and re-verified oil level than sent the vehicle.

9 days later decided to just check every thing over for the client and was SHOCKED to see the level was UNDER the add mark in about 500 miles. Proceeded to add over a quart of PUP while thinking about my next move with the Subaru 2.5 as I really believe at this point somehow a mechanical oil consumption issue appeared.

A month later, and checking it every weekend since, well over 2500 miles the the oil level didn't drop a SINGLE centimeter after that...

Now onto the H/K's.

I swapped both of the 2.4L's over to PUP 0W20.. and both 2.4Ls showed initial oil consumption and then stopped. I have never had to add oil to the Kia 2.4L using M1 / valvoline F/S in 5W20, 5w30, 5W20 HM, Euro 5W30, or basically, any other grade mixture I have tried over the years.

When I say consumption specifically for the Kia 2.4L MPI that would be about 11 ounces of oil added after the initial oil change and consumption (maybe 500 miles) and then it levels out, and I never have to add another ounce for rest of the oil change interval.

The Hyundai 2.4L DI had oil consumption issues in the past because of incorrect coolant ratio making the engine run way warmer then it should, but since the coolant flush and replacing the near 100% straight coolant (user error over a couple years of adding over a gallon of concentrated coolant believing it was 50/50 wondering why the more coolant I add the faster it is burning off, and the engine oil was also turning pitch black and burning off) also did not show any miserable oil usage after W/ M1/Vavoline combinations. BUT W/ PUP like clockwork 500 miles later, check oil, add about 16oz, brings level to full, and level does not drop after that for the remainder of O/C..

Personally, I do not believe I will continue using Pennzoil and will not use it in clients cars, YES the "price was right" at Walmart around $24.89 5QT jug at the time, but the initial oil consumption on multiple different engines, and specifically the Subaru consumption was a huge turn off from Pennzoil for me.

(when I first started doing my own maintenance over 15 years ago, Pennzoil platinum / Ultra was the cats meow and used it religiously for a few years) somehow a decade passed and I have not used PUP. Tried it recently on multiple vehicles, all within a short time frame and could not recommend pup even if "the price is right", JUST because of the first hand multiple different engines that showed no oil consumption issues than all burned oil initially, and then the oil consumption stops.

Initial consumption that would then stabilize used to be a fairly common report with M1, although I’ve not noticed it mentioned recently. Was generally thought some initial cleanup was going on.

I find it puzzling that Ultra, Pennzoil’s very best oil, does not list the 961-A1 Ford spec. It’s an easy spec to meet, even many synthetic blends meet it including some sold by Shell. Does not seem to be an oversight. Ultra runs thin for grade in 30 perhaps it’s simply too thin for the spec? 🤷‍♂️

This is a interesting observation regarding Subaru & PUP..

recently w/ a Subaru 2.5L 2014 40 ish K miles, no mechanical issues and no noticeable oil consumption over the years..
I swapped out the dealer oil with PUP 0W20 & a OEM filter, filled up to the full mark on dip stick, (factory spec + .3 qt to get 100% on dip stick)
ran engine verified no leaks and re-verified oil level than sent the vehicle.

9 days later decided to just check every thing over for the client and was SHOCKED to see the level was UNDER the add mark in about 500 miles. Proceeded to add over a quart of PUP while thinking about my next move with the Subaru 2.5 as I really believe at this point somehow a mechanical oil consumption issue appeared.

A month later, and checking it every weekend since, well over 2500 miles the the oil level didn't drop a SINGLE centimeter after that...

Now onto the H/K's.

I swapped both of the 2.4L's over to PUP 0W20.. and both 2.4Ls showed initial oil consumption and then stopped. I have never had to add oil to the Kia 2.4L using M1 / valvoline F/S in 5W20, 5w30, 5W20 HM, Euro 5W30, or basically, any other grade mixture I have tried over the years.

When I say consumption specifically for the Kia 2.4L MPI that would be about 11 ounces of oil added after the initial oil change and consumption (maybe 500 miles) and then it levels out, and I never have to add another ounce for rest of the oil change interval.

The Hyundai 2.4L DI had oil consumption issues in the past because of incorrect coolant ratio making the engine run way warmer then it should, but since the coolant flush and replacing the near 100% straight coolant (user error over a couple years of adding over a gallon of concentrated coolant believing it was 50/50 wondering why the more coolant I add the faster it is burning off, and the engine oil was also turning pitch black and burning off) also did not show any miserable oil usage after W/ M1/Valvoline combinations. BUT W/ PUP like clockwork 500 miles later, check oil, add about 16oz, brings level to full, and level does not drop after that for the remainder of O/C..

Personally, I do not believe I will continue using Pennzoil and will not use it in clients cars, YES the "price was right" at Walmart around $24.89 5QT jug at the time, but the initial oil consumption on multiple different engines, and specifically the Subaru consumption was a huge turn off from Pennzoil for me.

(when I first started doing my own maintenance over 15 years ago, Pennzoil platinum / Ultra was the cats meow and used it religiously for a few years) somehow a decade passed and I have not used PUP. Tried it recently on multiple vehicles, all within a short time frame and could not recommend pup even if "the price is right", JUST because of the first hand multiple different engines that showed no oil consumption issues than all burned oil initially, and then the oil consumption stops.

That's interesting. I am aware that sometimes changing to a different brand of oil can cause initial oil usage which often tapers down later on. I will probably use the PUP in my own vehicles where I can keep an eye on the oil level and use what I've been using in her Mazda which I see infrequently. I've used several brands (QSFS, PP**, Mobil 1, Idemitsu etc...) in her CX-30 and there has been no oil usage with any of them.

** I wonder if the fact that it didn't burn PP would mean it wouldn't burn PUP since they're both GTL?...

Also, I used to service my niece's 2013 Kia Optima with the 2.4 GDI. When I put the recommended 20w oil it would be down a quart in no time....not much better with 5w30. I started putting 5w40 into it and it slowed the oil consumption down greatly. That car now has about 160K, runs very nicely but sadly they have lost confidence in letting their 22 y/o drive it because she hears an 'engine noise' that comes and goes. I took it into Kia for recalls but they couldn't duplicate the noise and said the engine was good. It's a 'Catch 22' because they don't want her driving it but are reluctant to sell it in case it dies on the next owner.,,,so it's been sitting for a few months.

Last edited:
I find it puzzling that Ultra, Pennzoil’s very best oil, does not list the 961-A1 Ford spec. It’s an easy spec to meet, even many synthetic blends meet it including some sold by Shell. Does not seem to be an oversight. Ultra runs thin for grade in 30 perhaps it’s simply too thin for the spec? 🤷‍♂️
This is an interesting point. A lot of folks on the Ford forums use Ultra without issue, and I just put it in the 5.0 Friday. I can't imagine that it does anything negative. I just assume it exceeds the Ford spec. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: pbm
This is an interesting point. A lot of folks on the Ford forums use Ultra without issue, and I just put it in the 5.0 Friday. I can't imagine that it does anything negative. I just assume it exceeds the Ford spec. 🤷‍♂️
You would think so, but oddly enough it lists older Ford specs but not the more current 961-A1, so it doesn't appear to be an oversight. I dunno. I'm sure its fine in the Fords, it's a premium product, but it seems like there is some box somewhere it doesn't check. All I can think of is minimum viscosity since it is thin for grade.

I just checked and was surprised to find Platinum doesn't have the spec either. Like Ultra, it lists the older Ford specs. It is also thin for grade.

i use ultra anytime i do an oil change on someone’s vehicle where i know they rev a cold engine to the moon and don’t stay on top of oil changes. basically if i know the person to regularly abuses the vehicle.

Last edited:
I just checked and was surprised to find Platinum doesn't have the spec either. Like Ultra, it lists the older Ford specs. It is also thin for grade.
PP 5w30 is certainly on the 'thinner' side of the 30w spectrum and the older 5w30 PUP that I have is also (under 10 cSt....9.8 IIRC).

I plan on using that PUP in my Focus which specs 5w20 whereas I would be hesitant to use a Euro 5w30 because most of them are over 11 cSt. The one time I ran the PUP 5w30 in my Focus I saw no noticeable decrease in MPG or abnormal oil usage.

That's interesting. I am aware that sometimes changing to a different brand of oil can cause initial oil usage which often tapers down later on. I will probably use the PUP in my own vehicles where I can keep an eye on the oil level and use what I've been using in her Mazda which I see infrequently. I've used several brands (QSFS, PP**, Mobil 1, Idemitsu etc...) in her CX-30 and there has been no oil usage with any of them.

** I wonder if the fact that it didn't burn PP would mean it wouldn't burn PUP since they're both GTL?...

Also, I used to service my niece's 2013 Kia Optima with the 2.4 GDI. When I put the recommended 20w oil it would be down a quart in no time....not much better with 5w30. I started putting 5w40 into it and it slowed the oil consumption down greatly. That car now has about 160K, runs very nicely but sadly they have lost confidence in letting their 22 y/o drive it because she hears an 'engine noise' that comes and goes. I took it into Kia for recalls but they couldn't duplicate the noise and said the engine was good. It's a 'Catch 22' because they don't want her driving it but are reluctant to sell it in case it dies on the next owner.,,,so it's been sitting for a few months.
I’m not sure exactly what’s occurring, but I have seen the same issue with PUP, with a half-quart or so being “used” in the short term. At some point thru the first OCI, however, usage has become plateau’d and not had any usage at all on successive PUP OCIs. Not exactly sure what causes it, but because it’s brief and limited I just chalk it up as a weird anomaly and move on. I’m no oil chemist. 👍🏻

Back