Switching career fields to photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A daughter of a family friend who now is in her latter 20's went to college for fashion design, then switched to photography. We all assumed it was a dying profession, but she is an independent contractor doing photo shoots for ads in a bunch of high end glossy magazines, and doing quite well from what we can tell. I have to admit, her work is quite good.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: AZjeff

OP seems very quiet...

That's because he's going through that phase again.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4186162/1
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3459988/1
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4383791/1

Don't know how old the OP is-but the first link he was thinking about trucking. That's a good study income.....for at least ten years until the big fleets automate.

We all go through this at one time or another. He just chooses to post it on BITOG.

As many of you may know I have a medical condition that is a driving force behind my career change. I do not want to harm my body doing back breaking work for average pay.
I am getting very out of my wheel house and am trying to make a good decision. I've realized photography though the potential is there it's not a practical choice.
So I'm doing a 180 on this situation and am considering the health care industry.
The college I visited today recommended the health information management field. Does anyone have any real knowledge on this? It seems like most career fields when a college describes them they sound very boring and dry.
This doesn't seem like an awful field. My choice doesn't have to be a passion I have a passion , my car, car meets ect it has to be something that's viable in the long term that I would be decent at and won't make me absolutely miserable. A job is a job. I work at autozone now and my favorite thing about the job is working with people and more importantly helping them. I really love helping people. I enjoy going above and beyond to make their experience a good one. I would love to incorporate that enjoyment into something.

Be care of those terrible for profit schools cause you can go to a local community college for a lot less money and get a better education. Also try to find a job that has good tuition reimbursement so you can continue your education and training paid by your employer.

Health Information Management sounds more like an office worker answering phones than a much higher paid IT Dept employee that has many Cisco certifications. All the hospital IT folks I've met are in the $35 - $60 pay range.

Whatever the OP learns about "IT" it will be a fraction of the knowledge of a 20 something working in one of those dark rooms with a raised floor.

I know-I used to interact with them on a daily basis. Not saying this isn't a good field to go in to. But setting sites on an entry level position and working up form there is REALISTIC.

If the OP can't afford a pay cut then that is indeed another issue.

The $35.00 to $60.00 dollars is a pipe dream just walking in the door with the education-but not practical knowledge.

Last edited:
Oh true $35-60 is after years of experience, not just out of school. I've met people with no college degree and lots of IT knowledge making very good money.

About 15 years ago I did get my A+ certificate just to be more knowledgeable about desktop computers / telemetry servers / setting up hard drive / hard-software / full disclosure licences, central stations, etc... since I did after hours on call at work.

Theres a guy on BITOG that is a hospital IT director and could give a lot better info what they look for in an entry-level employee. I can't remember his name.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
As many of you may know I have a medical condition that is a driving force behind my career change. I do not want to harm my body doing back breaking work for average pay.
I am getting very out of my wheel house and am trying to make a good decision. I've realized photography though the potential is there it's not a practical choice.
So I'm doing a 180 on this situation and am considering the health care industry.
The college I visited today recommended the health information management field. Does anyone have any real knowledge on this? It seems like most career fields when a college describes them they sound very boring and dry.
This doesn't seem like an awful field. My choice doesn't have to be a passion I have a passion , my car, car meets ect it has to be something that's viable in the long term that I would be decent at and won't make me absolutely miserable. A job is a job. I work at autozone now and my favorite thing about the job is working with people and more importantly helping them. I really love helping people. I enjoy going above and beyond to make their experience a good one. I would love to incorporate that enjoyment into something.

Working in IT, particularly at an entry-level position, can be maddening. You have to be extremely patient and I assume since you have no IT background at all, you'll be having to learn all about the stuff that you'll be working with and helping people with, which in itself is going to carry with it a wicked learning curve.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just being realistic with respect to your interest in a field in which you have no experience.

"Health Information Management" is suitably ambiguous here, you could be dealing with HIS/RIS/PACS/EMR or just doing data entry. Managing information pertaining to health records and the like applies to all of the above and plenty of other things. Data entry would probably bore you, the others are all software platforms pertaining to different systems that can vary wildly from vendor to vendor but can cross-talk using HL7.

Maybe sit in on a class from the course and see what it is about?

IT work is fine if it isn't for all the people mucking up the technology.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Probably can get a job repairing all the COWs the nurses use and destroy.

LOL!! They prefer the term "WOW" we've been told, as some of them find the "COW" term offensive
crazy2.gif

But yes, they are hard on equipment.

OP has to ask himself what he really wants to do for the next 30 years, not just work one bad job after another.

I know it's tough to decide but only he can decide what path to take. If he lives in a small city job opportunities are limited even with a good education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back