Supertech/Kirkland full Synthetic users yearly oil change

This question is for any Supertech/Kirkland full synthetic oil users. I was wondering if anyone is doing yearly oil changes with this oil and how many miles they run it. Thanks.

I treat it like any other oil. I don't think I've ever had it in the sump for a whole year, but if I hadn't exceeded my mileage limit the time wouldn't be of concern to me. On my current truck, I follow the OLM and that usually works out to 7,000ish miles. On my previous truck, it was more like 7,500 miles. That old 2005 Colorado with the 3.5 I5 had a steady diet of ST Syn for 200,000+ miles, never an oil related problem. Sold it to my BIL 5 years ago and he's still driving that thing around.

I am doing yearly changes in my Grand Marquis, F-350 and shared Sentra with Supertech synthetic.

Nissan sees 3000-5000 a year, F-350 sees 3000 or less a year and Grand Marquis is about 10K a year.

Original poster here. Vehicle is a 2012 corolla driven less than 7,000 miles a year. Toyota recommends 1 yr or 10,000 miles on 0w20 synthetic. This car has no direct injection or turbo.

annual, under 10k mile, 5w30 synthetic oil changes from walmart, jiffy lube, indy mechanic or dealer were the norm for our suburban toyotas, 2004 corolla and 2006 highlander. they ran great.

I'm at 2 to 2.5 years so far with about 3,000-4,000 miles on either Kirkland or Supertech 5W-30 in my bone stock and completely original 1997 Silverado 1500 with the 5.7 Vortec. I don't drive that vehicle often, but when I do it's usually a few short trips here and there doing truck stuff with it followed by ~400 mile roundtrip stretches to go visit family and friends in another state. Oil looks normal, slightly darkened, no milkiness underneath fill cap, and I use FRAM Extra Guard filters. No noticeable oil consumption so far, although it's possible there may be a small amount towards the end of my planned OCI. We'll find out soon enough.

I'm gonna push it another 2,500 miles or so to get it back on an easy to remember schedule. I'm currently at ~357,500 miles and it'll probably take another year or so at this rate to get it back on schedule.

I plan to replace the valve covers soon simply because I have them on hand, not that it needs them. I'll try to remember to post a pic of the insides.

I don't think there is anything intrinsically better or worse about the Kirkland/Supertech that causes me to change the OCI in my vehicles. I shorten the interval in my vehicles that are hard on oil and have small sumps. The little Kia Rio has a small sump, direct injection, and it is driven on a lot of short trips with inconsistent high mileage runs so it gets dumped every 3000 miles. The larger sump vehicles, that have port injection and get regular long trips get around 5000-7000 mile OCIs. But I'd run that same interval even if I had a long-life product in them.

In terms of time, I follow the OEM guidelines and swap it at a year no matter what the miles on the vehicle. I've seen good arguments on why you don't need to, but I start fretting over it if I leave it in there for a year so I change it for the sake of my mental health. LOL....

my 2007 crv usually goes 5000 miles or 50% on the oil life indicator before I change it. It works out to about 11 month interval and I use Pennzoil platinum 0w20 or Kirkland 0w20 with a fram ultra 7317 swapped every other oil change (10k). I live 12 miles from work and I am a teacher so the car gets little use in the summer. So far so good 195k and counting 😎

My two older vehicles (see signature - Focus/RX350) that my two older sons drive both get ST syn oil and have seen only annual changes. The RX is driven more now (5-10K) is likely a 2x a year change now up from the ~5K a year/single change it was getting but the Focus will still likely only see one change at ~5-6K/year. Never had issues with either vehicle. I have some UOAs I've posted from both in UOA subforum and are un-remarkable (nothing strange/look normal).

the PCV valve is in a real ugh place on that particular engine/model. IMO.
that being said, if you are short tripping a lot, consider the 6 month interval.

we have successfully ran Super Tech full syn 0w20 5w20 and 5w30 in Jeep 3.6. Toyota 2.4. Toyota 1.8 Lexus turbo2.0 . Ford 5.4 . a good deal for regular basic maintenance on those cars that dont get driven much. i wouldnt go more than 6K miles unless otherwise stated , such as the 10K toyota

...the jeep was changed whenever they decided to show up and get her done.
I seen ST after 12K, and surprisingly it was not a complete disaster, but it was not pretty...

but every now and then, they put the chevron 6 qt boxes on sale and thats what we have been using lately.

Last edited:
Back