Supertech Filters aren't leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
was at WM today and looking at the filter for toyota cartridge style. Same price as everything else. had the drain and o rings too. filter was marked usa . looked like a well made filter

Originally Posted By: jvs99560
The 9688 has a metal inner tube

Yep. It is 'likely' the largest of the new STs that is classic metal construction, not an ecore. The new ST and AZ STP equivalent S2808 now uses a flat sealing gasket. For whatever reason it used to have a round sealing gasket (not p-type), and that can still be seen on the AZ site S2808.

I haven't been lately and am still wondering if the new WM ST have a 7317 application, not just shorty 6607. STP blue has one now and the old Champ made STs used to.

I bought an ST3387 which is ecore on recent trip to WM. It's going back next time I go there. Because what's nice about ecores is you can look inside and see how the pleats are arranged. Mine has a wide pleat at one area. Back it goes next trip. Also started taking a flashlight and looking at how filters are glued inside. Not perfect to my liking? Back they go, or get rid of, not messing with glue fragments into my engines or poor QC.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
was at WM today and looking at the filter for toyota cartridge style. Same price as everything else. had the drain and o rings too. filter was marked usa . looked like a well made filter
Was that the ST10158? The smaller ST10358 (for recent 1.8L Toyotas, including mine) looks exactly like a Fram Extra Guard---the made-in-USA version, not the newer Chinese edition. The price is much lower than it is with a Fram label.

I cleaned out my local W*M of all the the old stock ST10955 for the Town and Country. The old stock is sourced from Wix and is marked as 'Made in the USA' (with 25% or less foreign content). They had them at $1.50 each.

The new stock does not have the Wix design free floating bypass valve, and is clearly marked as Made in China. To the naked eye, there was little difference in the media, the number of pleats, or the construction.

I'm a bit disappointed to see that the Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend has also exited the building. I've used it exclusively in the T&C and the Sierra since W*M started carrying it.

I guess the next best nearest SOPUS option is going to be QS SynBlend High Mileage.... or I could go cheap and go to Harvest King 5w30 Synthetic Blend on both. I'll probably just start buying the Harvest King by the case and use it in everything.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: jvs99560
The 9688 has a metal inner tube

Yep. It is 'likely' the largest of the new STs that is classic metal construction, not an ecore. The new ST and AZ STP equivalent S2808 now uses a flat sealing gasket. For whatever reason it used to have a round sealing gasket (not p-type), and that can still be seen on the AZ site S2808.

I haven't been lately and am still wondering if the new WM ST have a 7317 application, not just shorty 6607. STP blue has one now and the old Champ made STs used to.

Say jam: Wal Mart ST filters don't have a 7317 filter
frown.gif

I nabbed a ST 9688 and I'll C&p it soon and it has flat gasket

At WM yesterday saw that no ST7317 application or place for it. Just the smaller ST6607. Though likely I wouldn't have need, too bad no 7317 like old Champ made STs. Oddly AZ STP blue (same filters in my observation), added a 7317 application recently. Afaik, never had one before.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I cleaned out my local W*M of all the the old stock ST10955 for the Town and Country. The old stock is sourced from Wix and is marked as 'Made in the USA' (with 25% or less foreign content). They had them at $1.50 each.

The new stock does not have the Wix design free floating bypass valve, and is clearly marked as Made in China. To the naked eye, there was little difference in the media, the number of pleats, or the construction.

I'm a bit disappointed to see that the Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend has also exited the building. I've used it exclusively in the T&C and the Sierra since W*M started carrying it.

I guess the next best nearest SOPUS option is going to be QS SynBlend High Mileage.... or I could go cheap and go to Harvest King 5w30 Synthetic Blend on both. I'll probably just start buying the Harvest King by the case and use it in everything.

Make your own synblend for the same money. That way you can blend 50% mix, instead of the 25-33% synthetic the bottler puts in.
Just need to buy an extra jug to begin with - then have leftovers.

Downsizing is the trend now. Even many new-style Fram EGs with silicone ADBV are smaller now.

If the new Ecore Supertechs don't clatter on startup, I would run them for my 6K OCIs. But most nitriles won't cooperate for 6 months/6K.

Thank you Fram EG silicone for a better chance at a start-up quiet 6 Months/6K OCIs.

Last edited:
How bad are these e-cores really?
The 99% filtration rate, and 10,000 miles would suggest a halfway decent filter element.

The cardboard end caps sound scary, but Honda uses them in their OEM filters (https://honda-tech.com/forums/attachment..._oilfilters.jpg), and my maintenance minder system suggests to replace the filter only every 15k miles.

What's left is the plastic core construction. Metal would seem better, although plastic is probably sturdy enough for the daily driver care?

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
Has anyone used ST4386 in place of ST3614?

Have you tried it? I'm assuming the 4386 has a metal core?

Originally Posted By: Hickory34
How bad are these e-cores really?
The 99% filtration rate, and 10,000 miles would suggest a halfway decent filter element.

They are pretty good. They will work for any 5000-7500 mile interval, the 10,000 mile seems a bit much for a nitrile ADV.
The original e-core had too wide a spacing in the plastic cage and cause some blow out of filter media into the engine.
They redesigned it and have not seen any issues with it since then (and that has been for several years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back