Supertech Filters aren't leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
By looking at the box, they could be e cores.

EXACTLY my first thought as well!

That "picture" screams E-cores!

tn_full_IMG_3946.jpg

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
Whats so bad about e core filters?

Nothing-used with the proper OCI intervals. But on BITOG-they are no good just like Chinese tires, CVT transmissions, and other various nonsensical attitudes.

Non-nonsensical?

There's real factual reasons why we all hate those things.

eCore filter are better today then they were when they first came out. Engineers finally figured out that they can't have big wide open windows in the center core (they discovered what delta-p is, LOL), and seems eCore filters have a properly designed center core these days. I might run one as long as it didn't use a "combo valve".

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
eCore filter are better today then they were when they first came out. Engineers finally figured out that they can't have big wide open windows in the center core (they discovered what delta-p is, LOL), and seems eCore filters have a properly designed center core these days. I might run one as long as it didn't use a "combo valve".

It amazes me that engineers did not test e-core filters sufficiently before hiding them in cans and selling them.

Dr Deming proven right I suppose.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: FFeng7
Looking at the picture of the filter on the box it kinda looks like the blue paint is textured. Anyone else think so?

Picture on the box does look textured.

Looks like it has Fram fiber end caps also.

Nope, if they are actually thin white end caps like the photo cutaway shows, then they are like the old original SuperTech filters.

Untrue, the original Super Tech oil filters were produced before Champion Laboratories used ecore design. Here's a good surviving example from 2002 - ecore design was first announced by Champion Laboratories in 2004. I used plenty of both back in my 3K miles O/FCI days.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/SuperTech-ST2-Oil-Filter-/332051753321

Here is an example of a later production Super Tech ecore filter, in the same application number I used.

LINK

Last edited:
The subject filter is an eCore design. The end caps look to be the same or similar to Champ PH820, Firestone TF4651 and Ac Delco PF1250. These use a combo valve made of nitrile. Other PNs may use a separate bypass valve.

I have used 6-8 of these all without any major issues.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Does Champ use combo valves in their value-priced filters?

Some do. It is a bit different design, but same concept. I like the champ one better.
Not that I have any proof one is better than the other, one gripe I have about the Wix combo valve is the space it takes away from filter media.
In some models, the combo valve is 1/3 of the internal space, greatly reducing filter area.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Didnt you also make a thread about them leaving?
Maybe... That's what I was told, obviously misinformation.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Nope, if they are actually thin white end caps like the photo cutaway shows, then they are like the old original SuperTech filters.

Untrue, the original Super Tech oil filters were produced before Champion Laboratories used ecore design.

My point was those end caps don't look like Fram end caps ... too thin, and white in color. I didn't say anything about Champion Labs, or who made the original SuperTech filters.

Untrue, the original Super Tech oil filters were produced before Champion Laboratories used ecore design.

My point was those end caps don't look like Fram end caps ... too thin, and white in color. I didn't say anything about Champion Labs, or who made the original SuperTech filters.

Well let's see - you chose to omit emphasis of your use of the word "original" from your post when you quoted mine, clearly for a reason. If you include that you can clearly understand my post. The original Super Tech filters did not use fiber end caps, as those came with the rest of the ecore design - circa late 2004.

And like many of your posts, I never said you said anything about Champion Laboratories or who made the original Super Tech filters.

Last edited:
The original Super Tech filters did not use fiber end caps, as those came with the rest of the ecore design - circa late 2004.

You got cut open photos of those 'original' (relative) Super Tech filters without fiber end caps? And again, my point was the end caps on the cutaway on the side of the new Super Tech box do not look like Fram end caps.

I remember the SuperTech filters before the ecore design. They were Champ Labs like the M1. They used a blue bypass plug, had a thinner media than the Mobil 1, and also used metal end caps. Oh, and a nitrile ADBV.

The original Super Tech filters did not use fiber end caps, as those came with the rest of the ecore design - circa late 2004.

You got cut open photos of those 'original' (relative) Super Tech filters without fiber end caps? And again, my point was the end caps on the cutaway on the side of the new Super Tech box do not look like Fram end caps.
They could go either way-I had tiny teacup original ST filters with metal end caps, and the bigger ST ones had fiber end caps, like the Fram TLE filters had. That white fiber end cap on the box looks just like what the bigger Ecores used.

Last edited:
If you want efficiency, the new designed Fram EGs are better and nearly the same price.

I want as much flow as possible, and cheaply! My next purchase may be the jobber Prolines at Pep Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back