Suing Hyundai Over Elantra MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sonataman
What part of 'UP TO' don't these idiots understand?

It is not WHAT you drive, but HOW you drive.

Exactly. I routinely beat the old EPA highway numbers in mixed driving with lots of stoplights.

Its all about how you appreciate physics. Most dont even know what physics is, because it wasnt cool and they wanted to act like they were on MTV reality shows instead of learning anything.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
All of the advertising I see says "this car gets 40 mpg HIGHWAY." If they don't say "up to," they always say "X mpg highway." In that case, it's not necessary to say "up to." It is however, important for the consumer to note the "highway" part and understand that city/combined mileage will be worse.

Here's an example. One number. Doesn't say "up to". Doesn't say "highway". It just gives a number.

hyundai-40-small-38521.jpg

Source: http://www.coloribus.com/adsarchive/prints/hyundai-elantra-40-14582605/

Again, I don't agree with the lawsuit. I do, however, agree that there is some room for improvement in advertising.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I agree that this lawsuit is silly and frivilous.

That said, much of the advertising out there (by everyone) does NOT say "up to". They say boldly, "this car gets 40 mpg!" Under certain circumstances, yes it might. But that number does not accurately reflect what somebody should expect to receive on a daily basis. You see a lot of, "the 40 mpg Elantra" or "the 42 mpg Cruze" or "the 39 mpg Civic" or whatever.

I believe that advertising should show BOTH numbers (city and highway). And if they want to only show one number, it should be the combined figure.

All of the advertising I see says "this car gets 40 mpg HIGHWAY." If they don't say "up to," they always say "X mpg highway." In that case, it's not necessary to say "up to." It is however, important for the consumer to note the "highway" part and understand that city/combined mileage will be worse.

Ford Focus sticker that I'm looking at;

It says (all VEHICLES state the same language)

City mpg 26 (expected RANGE for MOST drivers is 21-31 MPG)
Hwy mpg 36 (expected RANGE for MOST drivers is 29-43 MPG)

combined for this vehicle is 30 MPG.

*Fuel economy when operating on E85 will yield different values than gasoline.

Hyundai's web site has this on the bottom of every EPA MPG number;

1 *EPA estimates for comparison. Your actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits, and vehicle's condition.

and on actual vehicles on the dealers page;

* These estimates reflect new EPA methods beginning with 2008 models. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle. Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Mileage estimates may be derived from previous year model.

Talk about not having any chance or even more any CLUE these people who are suing car mfg because they have no brains.

I checked 3 other mfg and they all have the same content.

None of them showed only xx hwy miles and left it at that.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill, see examples above. Both give a single number, and don't caveat it with city, highway, your mileage may vary, etc. "Up to" or "hwy" would make the ad more clear, and would be more representative of their message.

Here's an example. One number. Doesn't say "up to". Doesn't say "highway". It just gives a number.

Again, I don't agree with the lawsuit. I do, however, agree that there is some room for improvement in advertising.

Everyone knows that city, highway, and combined mileage numbers are going to be different. If all they do is give one number, consumers should at least look it up and figure out WHICH figure that is.

Bill, see examples above. Both give a single number, and don't caveat it with city, highway, your mileage may vary, etc. "Up to" or "hwy" would make the ad more clear, and would be more representative of their message.

That's just typical marketing, and people are stupid enough to believe it. Joseph Bessimer was right when he said that there's a sucker born every minute. People really haven't changed much in the last 150 years, and there is always someone willing to believe marketing/advertising hype.

Common sense isn't very common.

So when the consumer buys the vehicle they don't read the sticker? They don't read the manual? They just remember a single page in a LA Times and that is what they are basing their displeasure?

They are IDIOTS. PERIOD. Should not be driving a vehicle much less owning one IMO. (and I'm sure each and every one of the print ads that are posted above have the same disclosure on the bottom of the page)

No wonder this country is so screwed up. People have to be told and handled like the idiots they are.

Sorry but really?

Bill

Okay 2011 December Motor Trend. (which says November 2011 on each page???)

page 7 Honda Pilot ad. 25mpg highway (with a small *) and small print on the bottom that 18city/25hwy/21 combined your mileage will vary do not compare to 2008 and before blah blah blah

Special advertising section on the sonics after page 27;"offers estimated 40mpg highway rating. No * there but small print on the next page.

Motortrend July 2012 back cover. Honda Civic 41hwy in large letters. The civic HF with 41 MPG highway fuel economy* then the small lettering about your actual will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.

Page 8-9 Mazda CX5. 35 mpg hwy with such a small * you can't see it at all with normal eyes. But there is that small print about the EPA numbers and your results may vary.

Page 93. Nissan Altima 2013 (nice looking vehicle!) Targeted 38mpg hwy with that dang * again and the small print on the bottom.

Bottom line is any time they post something about numbers there is small print on the bottom of the page from every mfg.

Whats next? We have them read a disclaimer, test them on it and then sign that they read/tested it so the mfg can prevent law suits?
20.gif
06.gif

Take care, Bill

My point is simply that I've seen advertising that didn't make it immediately clear which number is being shown. What's the harm in a little more accuracy in a print ad?

Bottom line is any time they post something about numbers there is small print on the bottom of the page from every mfg.

All of those ads you typed up either said "hwy" or gave the actual city/combined/highway number. That's clear, and that's good. Printing a single and "unitless" number, as Hyundai has done at least a few times, leads to ambiguity.

The Hyundai dealer in town advertises an Elantra L as getting 56 mpg. Fuel mileage figures for Canadian vehicles are wildly optimistic, and I would say almost illegally high

Mazda is advertising the CX-5 as getting 35mpg, "better than any other SUV, even hybrids"
Mazda CX-5 website
what they DON'T make clear is that is for the FWD manual model; seriously, how many manual versions is Mazda actually going to sell, or even are the dealers going to stock them?

Consumers are always protected. They are assumned to read plain words on the advertisement; just straight up from the advertisements. If its misleading in any shape of forms even just a little bit; consumers will fight, win and protected.

Last edited:
55:

Not really. With no special tips or tricks I have met or exceeded the fuel economy ratings on every single vehicle I have ever owned or driven. To get much beyond the rating takes a little more care and attention, but still very much attainable.

OP: The guy who is suing Hyundai is a moron, the blood sucking li-yar is even more so.

Holy snikes, I am more amazed anyone would defend this. I already panic anytime a kid runs and falls in my presence. Lawyers have a place, but too many of them are ruining everything for the rest of us.

ref

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue
what they DON'T make clear is that is for the FWD manual model; seriously, how many manual versions is Mazda actually going to sell, or even are the dealers going to stock them?

Well, here in Colorado, they have been selling plenty of the FWD manual transmission versions, as they go flying out of the dealers lots within a week after arriving.

They would have sold one to me, had they offered the FWD manual version in either the Zeal Red, or the Stormy Mica Blue, but since they insist that the US market doesn't want the car in Red, Blue, or White, they won't give us the option of ordering our CX-5 in one of those colors.

Seems that Canadians, Australians, Germans, French, and those living in the UK like their manual transmission cars and suv's to come in colors other than silver, black, or grey.

BC.

My point is simply that I've seen advertising that didn't make it immediately clear which number is being shown.

While I agree, this is really the basic premise of advertising: put your best foot forward, accentuate the positives, skip the negatives or delegate them to the fine print and make the fine print small enough so that no one will read it.

An intelligent person would do some digging to figure out what the "40" means. Alas, there are plenty of persons out there that will interpret it in a way that's most convenient to them and then sue if their interpretation happens to be incorrect. Sad.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Alas, there are plenty of persons out there that will interpret it in a way that's most convenient to them and then sue if their interpretation happens to be incorrect. Sad.

And this is really the bottom line. I'm not saying that Hyundai was out to deceive anyone. I'm also not going to pass judgement on the plaintiff's level of intelligence. But the ambiguity in at least some of Hyundai's advertising is what put them in the position they're in, as defendents in a lawsuit...as silly as it may be.

This whole situation is absurd. It *IS* sad. And the plaintiff doesn't deserve a dime out of it. But Hyundai's in court, and they didn't have to be. I'll bet their advertising is a little more descriptive in the future.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: mpvue

Well, here in Colorado, they have been selling plenty of the FWD manual transmission versions, as they go flying out of the dealers lots within a week after arriving.

They would have sold one to me, had they offered the FWD manual version in either the Zeal Red, or the Stormy Mica Blue, but since they insist that the US market doesn't want the car in Red, Blue, or White, they won't give us the option of ordering our CX-5 in one of those colors.

Seems that Canadians, Australians, Germans, French, and those living in the UK like their manual transmission cars and suv's to come in colors other than silver, black, or grey.

BC.

I think it's a cool car, I would get one if I was in the market. My Mazda5 is a manual (how many 6 seater microvans can say that?)
while I like mazda, I think it's a little misleading to claim 35mpg when most people it would seem will get an auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back