Hyundai/Kia Security Enhancement Campaign 993

This bulletin provides the service procedure to update the IBU/BCM, to revise the OEM Hyundai burglar alarm system operation and ignition start logic, and installation of two anti-theft decals

Campaign 993 Instructions

List of vehicles that should have updates ready by June 2023

Accent 2018-2022
Elantra 2011-2016
Elantra 2021-2022
Elantra GT 2018-2020
Genesis Coupe 2011-2014
Kona 2018-2022
Palisade 2020-2021
Santa Fe 2013-2022
Santa Fe XL 2019
Santa Fe Sport 2013-2018
Sonata 2011-2014
Tucson 2011-2022
Veloster 2012-2017, 2019-2021

Last edited:
They locked out USB / Peripheral access during vehicle powerup / engine start. Security has never been Kiunday's Forte (no pun intended).

The window stickers are beyond stupid. 😔

"Vehicle Protected by Hyundai Security Logic" 🤣

I heard the push button Hyundai‘s can still be stolen easy. Can someone in the know please clarify. I only heard a rumor and I do not know if it is true, that the immobilizer has the same password/or the password is not encrypted and the key FOB signal can be cloned if the owner is around the criminals sniffer mobile sniffer, or by walking close to your house at night to sniff the “pinging” data stream the FOB/car engages in on a regular basis 24/7 ??

I heard the push button Hyundai‘s can still be stolen easy. Can someone in the know please clarify. I only heard a rumor and I do not know if it is true, that the immobilizer has the same password/or the password is not encrypted and the key FOB signal can be cloned if the owner is around the criminals sniffer mobile sniffer, or by walking close to your house at night to sniff the “pinging” data stream the FOB/car engages in on a regular basis 24/7 ??
Pretty much any car with a proxy fob can have this done. Most of our are not proxy. ( Proxy meaning the doors auto unlock when we get close to vehicle, we have to physically push the button on the fob to unlock ours).

Do you think the criminals are going to have that list on them to find out if the Hyundai or Kia they are stealing will have an immobilizer? You are still going to have to replace the broken rear window and steering column.

Software patch requires vehicle door locks to be locked with the remote, and then alarm activated with the remote. Press the lock button once, and then again.

This is hard for the wife to understand since she hits the lock button on the door, then slams the door shut, and walks away never using to remote to lock the doors.

On her Kia, hit the lock button once locks the doors. Hit it again to immediately set the alarm, chirp the horn/flash the headlights, and then it will NOT start without a remote unlock. If you don't unlock with the remote, the vehicle is disabled so a screwdriver start won't work.

For now, still waiting on the 'fix' for her CEL. Dealer is close to striking out. Still not a lemon.

At least step in the right direction, hitting lock button twice until you get a chirp is really not too much production to go through when leaving your car.

Pretty much any car with a proxy fob can have this done. Most of our are not proxy. ( Proxy meaning the doors auto unlock when we get close to vehicle, we have to physically push the button on the fob to unlock ours).
my understanding, is that the push start models are just as secure/insecure as any other manufacturer...
they problem they've had the past few years is they never put chips in their keys, nor the immobilizers that go with them.
so you could still get a key cut anywhere and they would work... no programming needed..
no chip in the key, no immobilizer hard/software to keep anyone from starting the car by breaking the column open, and starting the car with a screwdriver, or in these cases a USB cable, like car thieves have been doing for decades.

Back