Sub STI's are very interesting

Lots of judgment in this thread. Yeah I do that sometimes too, but wow. The nephew is how old? Etc Works where? Pulls down how much $?

I don't even understand the engine replacement wisecrack.

I had a 2014 WRX (non STI) HATCH (key feature to note, last year ever for hatch, I ordered the car from Japan for ~$29K!) that I traded for my 2019 Tacoma in August 2018. I think they gave me near $30K, so my Tacoma was just pennies. I only had suspension mods, but no engine mods. Frankly I thought the car was actually a little under powered (~260HP(?)) for such a light car. It handled like a cat on carpet. Nice and flat, and driving on ice and snow with good winter tires would make me a happy man.

But the weaknesses weren't the engine.

1) Subie cheapie thin everything.
2) 5 speed gear box. POS. (STi's have 6 at least)

Good luck! And watch out for thrashed examples.
Because it’s real if you know much about STi’s.

As opposed to?... What will he 🎣 with a worn out and abused STI?

Most people don't need a manual, they think they want one. Until they burn out the clutch, grind down some gears, mess up some synchronizers, or perform the ultimate... money shift.
A lot of people think they need Hyundai, but really only thing the need is Yugo. It moves, somehow. It still has at least 25 horses alive. I mean, it goes from point A to point B.
But the real question is: why do you think you know what he “needs?” Human beings are perfectly capable laying in bed, breathing and surviving. Actually, they could do that in the cave, they really don’t need 3,000sq ft, three car garage etc. Because in the cave you don’t have water heater that will break, HVAC, or you try some DIY and then break stuff.

A lot of people think they need Hyundai, but really only thing the need is Yugo. It moves, somehow. It still has at least 25 horses alive. I mean, it goes from point A to point B.
But the real question is: why do you think you know what he “needs?” Human beings are perfectly capable laying in bed, breathing and surviving. Actually, they could do that in the cave, they really don’t need 3,000sq ft, three car garage etc. Because in the cave you don’t have water heater that will break, HVAC, or you try some DIY and then break stuff.
Ma Man!

My nephew is 21 . going to college and working at the same time. yeah i told him its not the best thing to buy this type of car, but i am his uncle and not his daddy. he worked and saved for it . My job is to help him find a good one. We have already looked at few and they seem to be at the extremes . either pristine or clapped out . even the clapped out ones they ask a lot for .

the ones i have looked at were mostly owned by under 25 young men. the enthusiasm for them was close to fanatical . they have a devoted fan base. insurance for him is $4200 a year , which for that type of vehicle and age drive is not too bad.

the good thing is he likes to work on cars so if it has small issues he can probably sort it out himself .

My nephew is 21 . going to college and working at the same time. yeah i told him its not the best thing to buy this type of car, but i am his uncle and not his daddy. he worked and saved for it . My job is to help him find a good one. We have already looked at few and they seem to be at the extremes . either pristine or clapped out . even the clapped out ones they ask a lot for .

the ones i have looked at were mostly owned by under 25 young men. the enthusiasm for them was close to fanatical . they have a devoted fan base. insurance for him is $4200 a year , which for that type of vehicle and age drive is not too bad.

the good thing is he likes to work on cars so if it has small issues he can probably sort it out himself .
No one is born knowing everything. They learn on mistakes.
But also, it is fun, it is exciting. It is what everyone needs when they are 21.
Or, he can buy Hyundai Sonata, and then when he gets to be 50, buy himself STi and cheat on his wife, bcs. he didn’t live through it when he supposed to.
More power to him. He earned it.

We're more likely to encourage the next generation of car guys if we let them get what they like not what old married people drive.

Mistakes will be made. Not saying STI is the best choice but Accord or Camry? All the blathering here about the younger generation, here's a guy interested in what to him is a cool car.

Seriously, now we know his age and situation - I will just say finish college with a commuter car. He should be putting 120% effort into college.

And, frankly the car is just too expensive used, hence what I posted earlier and everything else, people just want too much for them. If he must after college, buy NEW. It's almost the same price! Read my post. I drove mine for four years and they gave me more than I paid for it new!!!

edyvw: Your analogy to a home purchase is just a variant of the "you don't know how to live/enjoy life" response.

We don't know his situation...cash flow...mind set....career (ergo income) prospects.

Buying a previously owned hot car has always been inadvisable. That "he saved up for it and he earned it", can't tell the whole story.

I traveled a lot when younger and always had basic cars. I enjoyed the additional benefit of being able to park worry-free on the street.
I had friends who said I didn't know how to live. Their brains were filled with car commercials and BS.
I got to work plenty on my rides and reaped the satisfaction you described.

Since he had to "save up" for a used race car proves he doesn't have the money to buy one.
He needs enough money to buy a basic, fallback ride if he buys a finicky used race car.
If he calls you every time he needs to go to the parts store, you won't stay his uncle long.

Ooo-ooo...do I get to reprimand you for living vicariously through your nephew? Why not? I don't know anything about you either.

For Heaven's sake, can't you see drunk, horny men pounding the life out of one of these Subbies as they attempt to harvest the women you refer to? It's your turn to not 'get real' but to 'think completely'.

Hey, if he's got enough coin....you wouldn't've made the post in the first place.

Also, regarding houses vs caves, lots of people buy too much house....nothing new here.

No one is born knowing everything. They learn on mistakes.
But also, it is fun, it is exciting. It is what everyone needs when they are 21.
Or, he can buy Hyundai Sonata, and then when he gets to be 50, buy himself STi and cheat on his wife, bcs. he didn’t live through it when he supposed to.
More power to him. He earned it.
STI is a chick magnet for 50 yr old married men? LOL.

Back