Sub Inflation

I used to eat at Subway quite often, several times a week, because it was a franchise on base, and I was busy.

While it was OK then, the quality has really dropped.

Last time I ate at a Subway, the bread and ingredients were stale. Flavorless meat, in skimpy portions, wrapped in old bread, with soggy lettuce on top. Served by a person that couldn’t make eye contact while they mumbled the questions.

Ugh.

Just awful.

They’ve lost me. I won’t set foot in a Subway, ever again.
It was never good. Unfortunately they still exist in places like that - I think because subway franchises are cheap and easy to get, and the disadvantaged owners that get priority in government facilities can get a name brand franchise... I had to eat at one in the Mark center about six months ago. Yuck. Nothing worse than the Chinese food at 32nd st. NS though…

Went to a local sub shop.
Italian sub is $8.95
I give them a 10 spot and walk

I just went in and did the same and the owner said hold up... they are now $13.95...

Before I get beaten...yes I know they can charge whatever they want and I have no issue with that at all.

But whatever happened to incremental increases? Like a $1 at a time or two.

It was the owner and he acted like a worker shaking his head. But I know who he is and I pretty much know what he did.. he hasn't been working much this year and he got around and saw other places pricing. I see it too but he has a thriving business but those places don’t...

I think a $5 increase is nuts overnight. I think it will be a costly mistake. Who said inflation has flattened out?

Another local pizza place just sold to a guy with new signage saying authentic NJ pizza. . Three topping large regular pizza $28 + tax..
It ain't gonna fly here in backwoods country..

The best sandwich in the world, the pork loaded from DiNics at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, is $13 with tax.

It has gone up maybe $/yr over the last few years.

I think primo hoagies and capriottis are about the price you say. But those are chains. Smaller shops are kind of expected to be a bit less, or, are real true gourmet sandwiches (thinking Pastaficio in South Philly).

I live in the restaurant destination town in the region. One of the restaurants has an absolutely delicious plain cheese pizza. It was $14 when we got one around Halloween. Got one last weekend and it was $17. I was taken aback by that jump too.

Even at that the price is still $20.. You might be cheap but I’m not going to be. I was well taken care of and reflect it. I’d hate to deal with you on anything job related.
In Europe you don’t tip it’s an insult to the servers their employer pays a decent wage. Here we pay a fraction of a wage. You know most places only pay 2.25 and hour for waitresses you who virtue signal dropping a fiver for a tip is just giving a pittance. Stop tipping and force the owners to pay a reasonable wage.

My absolute favorite sandwich in a large is now $25.95 - it's an 18" cheesesteak that I used to splurge on a few times a year (yes, even though I'm fat that feeds me twice)

5 years ago that large was $14
... ... .
Up here the Arabic and Lebanese restaurants had the best steak and cheese. I would get them as a large flatbread rollup with hummus on the side. Now my mouth is watering. Shawarma also a good choice.
Most Greek joints in the sticks don't do an authentic Gyro, since there is not enough floor traffic. I bet near Boston they do - but I haven't sought one out.

GYROS.jpg
steak and cheese rollup.jpg

After discovering a certain Marinara Sauce we have eaten in the last two Saturday nights. Our total bill for 2 Saturday dinners was about $20. A package of 12, one ounce very tasty meatballs was spread over two weekends. They were on sale for a couple bucks off. The Marinara sauce was $6.88 at WalMart. A $1.49 for a bag o salad. I think the meatballs were $6.99. On 2 saturday nights we would have spent $80 or so. Both meals took 30-45 minutes to prepare.

A few things:

Work from home reduce the lunch business
Labor "shortage" and wage inflation. I have boba shop owner friend telling me he need to pay almost $21 for someone inexperienced.
Food cost increase (look at your grocery store)
People buying cheaper food than before (lower profit margin)

You don't mind a 55% increase? I do whether or not I can afford it. Poor business.

Zee09 and AZjeff,

Understood….

But I know that the overhead, taxes, insurance, rent, utilities, payroll, food vendors, etc…. has gone up but I still like certain mom & pop restaurants.

I can’t eat Corn Flakes for dinner every day.

Zee09 and AZjeff,

Understood….

But I know that the overhead, taxes, insurance, rent, utilities, payroll, food vendors, etc…. has gone up but I still like certain mom & pop restaurants.

I can’t eat Corn Flakes for dinner every day.

Ironically cereal is an absolute ripoff

McD,s currently in my area has 2 fish fillet sandwiches for $6. They were good back in the day, now not so much!

I treated a hospital Plant Ops and IT Dept staff that were helping us out on a remodel project to Cuban Food.

I spent $550 and was expecting to spend $350…. was surprised at bill.

I ordered enough food so everyone could take food home. No food was left over or went to waste.

Last edited:
Luckily my Subway location accepts these coupons. IMO their tuna sub is really good. My wife likes their Italian BMT.

A few things:

Work from home reduce the lunch business
Labor "shortage" and wage inflation. I have boba shop owner friend telling me he need to pay almost $21 for someone inexperienced.
Food cost increase (look at your grocery store)
People buying cheaper food than before (lower profit margin)
The ones working from home should not be complaining!! The money they are saving, from gas,oil tires, wear/tear of vehicle, car insurance nice clothes to wear to office, parking fees, tolls etc more than offset what they are paying for the ones who have to go to work on site. What they are saving from working at home should be a lot more than the difference in the meal costs.

But yes the prices are getting ridiculous. Average breakfast in my area at diners are $12 on up, and that does not include coffee or tea, now do you want ham or steak with your eggs and you are talking a lot higher.

Last edited:
Back