Struggling Subway franchises upset with promos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand Subway, it tastes awful!

As dishdude said, Jersey Mike's is the way to go.

dishdude- Have you been to Mr. Submarine on 24th St and Osborn? My family says it used to be good, but I went there last summer and my god, it was worse than Subway!

I didn't even know Jersey Mikes were a thing outside of NJ. I avoid Jersey Mikes with their nasty vegetables even more than I avoid Subway and their disgusting bread. Those two are easily the two worst sandwich places to choose from around here.

Independent delis and certain supermarket delis are far superior. Wawa was good once upon a time, but I think they've gone downhill a lot over the years.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

dishdude- Have you been to Mr. Submarine on 24th St and Osborn? My family says it used to be good, but I went there last summer and my god, it was worse than Subway!

I drive by it all the time and have been meaning to stop in, but I guess I won't now!

Panera is the other one going downhill. I like the Sierra Turkey, and the last few times I got it they put one slice of turkey on! It was like eating a piece of bread.

Parent company hasn't been too kind to the franchises. Forcing them to be open at 7:00 am has hurt. The ones I've asked say they might get one customer before 10:00 am. Even at near minimum wage, that adds up. Then the required purchase of the $10,000 oven for toasted subs hurt. The never ending "$5 footlong" promotions did them no favors either.

Most of the sandwiches now are close to $8 and they make an effort to upsell you on everything. You can easily take a $12 hit there for lunch. That's well above what the lunch market will tolerate.

For your $8, go find a privately run shop. I have a place near work that wants $7.50-$8.50 for sandwiches made with good bread and Boar's Head meats. I haven't been to a Subway in at least five years.

A real non-chain restaurant sub in my area is easily $10+ from your average pizza and sub shop. Has been for some time. Subway definitely skimps out on their $5 foot longs as you'd expect. Super cheap and processed cold-cuts for those particular subs and very little of it.

Like said above, Subway is consistent, fast and you can see what you're getting. I'm not crazy about them, but in some cases, it's a better option than other fast food places IMO.

Last edited:
The last eight years or so were not kind to small business.

Been a while since I have been in a Subway. They seemed like a fairly low overhead operation - rent, couple of minimum wage employees, cold cuts, cash register, a bread cooker, some knives and cold boxes. That's about it as best I recall.

You could probably equip the whole place for considerably less than the cost of just one of the commercial Franke coffee systems that a McDonald's uses.

Franchise fees and rents must be eating up the franchisee revenues. The ones around here are owned by Doctors. A client had a few he bought for the husband of one of his daughters. He routinely lost a lot of money on it, but that might have been his plan. It never seemed to bother him much.

I haven't been to a Subway in years. Their food tastes like garbage.

My go-to sub shops are Firehouse and Jersey Mike's. I was down in FL a while back and Publix had some delicious subs; didn't expect that from a supermarket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
The last eight years or so were not kind to small business.

Yeah because their product sucks and other competitors that have much better food at the same price point are rapidly opening stores around them. Small businesses that have a good product to offer have been thriving for the last 8 years.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Best Subs in my area are from Publix grocery store. Ed

thumbsup2.gif

Out here where I live we only have 2 sub places. Subway and Togo's. Thats it. Of the 2 Subway is the better value. I am a vegetarian and usually get a Veggie Delight on the 9 grain honey oat bread at Subway. Costs like $5. Togo's for the same thing is about $9

Thats all we have to choose from, and makes a decent semi healthy meal if you have no time to cook.

Envy you guys in the city that have more choices, but dont envy your traffic though.

Heck even out here in the Dog Patch of the California Desert its getting crowded. Crazy.

Jeff

It's been about 5 years since I ate at a Subway that was inside a Walmart.

Food was good but expensive for the amount of food you get.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Best Subs in my area are from Publix grocery store. Ed

thumbsup2.gif

I discovered Wegman's supermkts on road trips through NY or PA. Best darn sub ever. Most good sized super mkts make a great sub with specials for 4.99$. My travel tip: instead of being victimized at rest stops willy nilly, pre plan them at super mkts within 2-3 miles or less from an exit. Food, rest and gas. Better, cleaner and cheaper. Lunch was often a 40 minute stop.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Parent company hasn't been too kind to the franchises. Forcing them to be open at 7:00 am has hurt. The ones I've asked say they might get one customer before 10:00 am. Even at near minimum wage, that adds up. Then the required purchase of the $10,000 oven for toasted subs hurt. The never ending "$5 footlong" promotions did them no favors either.

Most of the sandwiches now are close to $8 and they make an effort to upsell you on everything. You can easily take a $12 hit there for lunch. That's well above what the lunch market will tolerate.

For your $8, go find a privately run shop. I have a place near work that wants $7.50-$8.50 for sandwiches made with good bread and Boar's Head meats. I haven't been to a Subway in at least five years.

Yeah the local places are usually way better. I've only been to subway a few times and they don't really give you much meat. Most chains seem to do that. The local mom and pop type stores usually have a lot more. There's one local sub shop that has about 20 people behind the counter and they really crank out the orders, a small sub there is $7 and it's stuffed with meat. The place is usually mobbed at lunch but the line moves quick and before you know it, you have your order.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Yeah the local places are usually way better. I've only been to subway a few times and they don't really give you much meat. Most chains seem to do that. The local mom and pop type stores usually have a lot more. There's one local sub shop that has about 20 people behind the counter and they really crank out the orders, a small sub there is $7 and it's stuffed with meat. The place is usually mobbed at lunch but the line moves quick and before you know it, you have your order.

Yes. I didn't even address the meat issue. Jimmy John's, which people think favorably of pre-portions the meats before moving them to the line. They used somewhere between 45-55 grams of meat, which is near a maximum of two ounces. Since Subway meats are pre-cut, they use slice quantity (as explained earlier in this thread) to portion control.

Most local shops are six ounces to eight ounces of meat....sometimes more, often times of much higher quality.

I haven't eaten at one in 20 yrs or so. I remember it had the oddest taste. Not at all impressed compared to local deli sub shops.

I grew up in Houston eating Antoine's po-boys. Not your traditional 'sub' but incredibly tasty and made of bread that actually tasted great.

My sandwhich of choice now is a Ham Muffeletta at Jason's Deli. I couldn't buy all of those ingrediants and make that sandwhich for $12. No way.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

+1, There's a bakery here that has a small deli in the back that sells Boar's Head meats. Their subs are full of meat and only $6(maybe $7 now at the most). Members on here can prob go to the Boar's Head website and find retailers in their area. Here are some pics, sorry about the one with a few bites out of it but that's all I could find on a review site.
smile.gif

Here's another mom and pop meat shop with very reasonable prices. A good tip is to call in your order otherwise it gets mobbed during lunch hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back