Strange filter location in oil pan on my Grand Am

The old iron duke oil change shower I remember it well but trust me it was much easier to change the filter. On the GM X cars with the iron duke you had to remove the plastic liner inside the front driver side wheel well to get the filter even then it was easier to take the tire off. Worse oil change ever use to take my mom's 1980 Buick Skylark to the dealership for oil change they knew all the shortcuts to do it quick

Is it the exact same way, I found someone changing the oil on a 2000 Intrique that should be the same engine, it just looks like the cartridge housing goes through the pan but it also has a drain plug, the duke the drain plug and the cartridge housing are one in the same so it always makes a mess since you have to drain the oil through a 3in plug.
Yes I forgot the Intrique!! Same motor. Not saying it's exactly the same because I don't remember 100% but I remember it was underneath by the oil pan and a messy job lol. I actually sold that Aurora the next year and got the V8 version.

Yes I forgot the Intrique!! Same motor. Not saying it's exactly the same because I don't remember 100% but I remember it was underneath by the oil pan and a messy job lol. I actually sold that Aurora the next year and got the V8 version.
I think it's more of just a cartridge filter underneath it still makes a mess but the duke is more of a mess because the only drain plug is the gaping 85mm hole with the filter in it so you pull the filter and have to drain all 4.5qts of oil come gushing out everywhere.

I had 3.5 Aurora they called that motor the short star it was based on the Cadillac North Star a great car I really enjoyed it
It was a great car. I sold mine after 1 year and got the 4.0 V8 version which was based on the Northstar as well. These were the best GM interiors they had and the car was always mistaken for a Lexus lol...mine was a 2001 2nd gen.

My sister has been driving one for many years - still no problems
I remember I saw a Aurora on the road really liked it. When my diamante lease was up I went and leased a Aurora picked it up on a Tuesday. That Sunday I opened the NY times to find out Oldsmobile going out of business. Same story with the Pontiac G8 another great GM car

Reactions: 4WD
Everyone at the design table must have been high on coke for this one… gotta love the 80’s.
I don't think it's the worst design, they just should have put a proper drain plug on the pan instead of having to drain using the gaping hole for the filter. The filter being primed directly in the oil doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I'd kind of like to hear the engineers that designed it explain why they built the oiling system the way they did, actually I'd kind of like to see how it's setup, has I Do Cars done a teardown of one?

I don't think it's the worst design, they just should have put a proper drain plug on the pan instead of having to drain using the gaping hole for the filter. The filter being primed directly in the oil doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I'd kind of like to hear the engineers that designed it explain why they built the oiling system the way they did, actually I'd kind of like to see how it's setup, has I Do Cars done a teardown of one?
But why though? The same remote canister and spin on designs we use today were already well established.

Dug thru my stash; I have 8 of the AC DELCO filters. May squire dads 88’ Grand Am as it’s 4 dr and I know where another one is like 8 minutes away 🙊🙊

Back