Strange filter location in oil pan on my Grand Am

UltraGuard filters have been around a long time
Yes, I recall buying some UltraGuard Gold (full synthetic wire backed media then) spin-ons way back in 2002 for the Z06. I think Fram came out with the Ultra (whatever it was called back then) to compete with the UG Gold, or maybe it was the other way around ... not sure on the exact timing. 🤷‍♂️

First time I noticed them was when looking for a filter for 17 Spark and it was just 2 bucks more. Don't recall seeing them before, but didn't really look either.

131Oil filter.jpg

Yes, I recall buying some UltraGuard Gold (full synthetic wire backed media then) spin-ons way back in 2002 for the Z06. I think Fram came out with the Ultra (whatever it was called back then) to compete with the UG Gold, or maybe it was the other way around ... not sure on the exact timing. 🤷‍♂️
The filter in the eBay Auction appears to have a June 99 date code, The Fram Xtended Guard came out right around 2000 from what I found around the time Allied-Signal took the Honeywell name, I don't think the Xtended Guard ever had the Allied Signal branding on the packaging yet Extra Guard and Tough Guard filters still used the Allied Signal branding until a packaging update sometime in the early to mid 2000s

^^^ I don't think the ACDelco UltraGuard Gold filters these days are full synthetic wire-backed like they were in the beginning. Still probably a good filter though.

Worked at a full service station from 89-92 while in high school and it seemed like everyone in the area had and Iron Duke with that filter, mom's car included.
it's not bad when on a lift, but on your back in the garage not so much.

Back