STP filter "2 oil changes" unknown miles cut open with sludge deposits!!

I didn't know they did that....that's interesting. I drove 2 Dodge Tradesman vans with the 318 when I was teeneager and both were abused by the regular drivers (in that it was in NYC traffic making deliveries and nobody but me checked the oil etc...) One Saturday I had to add 4 quarts of 10w30 ....it was running on about 1 quart all week. The boss sold that one at over 100K and the guy who bought it ran it for years afterwards. I can't remember what happened to the other van but I think it was simlarly sold after I left the place.
At what mileage did those plastic teeth usually fail? You wonder why engineers make such poor design decisions?

PS: Those 4 quarts of 10w30 were 'Wolf's Head....Finest of the Fine since 1879'.
They usually broke before 100k. A truck or van may have had the steel gears. Cars got plastic.... usually.

Reactions: pbm
I didn't know they did that....that's interesting. I drove 2 Dodge Tradesman vans with the 318 when I was teeneager and both were abused by the regular drivers (in that it was in NYC traffic making deliveries and I was the only driver who checked the oil etc...) One Saturday I had to add 4 quarts of 10w30 ....it was running on about 1 quart all week. The boss sold that one at over 100K and the guy who bought it ran it for years afterwards. I can't remember what happened to the other van but I think it was simlarly sold after I left the place.
At what mileage did those plastic teeth usually fail? You wonder why engineers make such poor design decisions?

PS: Those 4 quarts of 10w30 were 'Wolf's Head....Finest of the Fine since 1879'.
Engineers don't want put plastic gears in engines, bean counters do.
Bean counter logic is if they can make the engines a little quieter and cheaper then they just might be able to sell a few more of them and make a little bit more money off each one.
Bean counters don't care if the engine fails at 10 years, infact they're counting on it.
Engineers want to build engines that lasts 20 to 30 years.

They usually broke before 100k. A truck or van may have had the steel gears. Cars got plastic.... usually.
Dodge assembly line:
Use whatever parts are available.
Post some photos! I love that gen Dakota. I almost bought a 98 4x4 brand new for $20k but stupidly bought a Chrysler Cirrus instead.
Yeah I can it's kind of beat up but virtually no rust from living in New Mexico and west Texas.
If the engine or transmission took a dump I would probably fix it. As it has the larger rear end and the tougher re46 transmission.

My grandfather who raised me loved the 318, had several vehicles with them.
I had a 318 in my 1980 Chrysler Cordoba...It was a good engine and never had any problems with it..Went over 150000 before I traded it in....

Had a 318 in a PowerWagon - added manifold, AFB, and headers …
Drove it 17 years - sold to a rancher - he took the plates off and then worked it on his land …

My 2,100 mile oil change was just about perfect.
You can see the dirt on the end cap of the filter. This is after leaving it upside down to drain for a few days.
I refilled it with about 2 quarts of old redline 5w-30 and the remainder of Pennzoil platinum 5w-30 (not pup) and a wix xp51515 oversized rock catcher.
With all that dirt after 2,100mi on that standard sized filter I may need the 10 grams of dirt capacity of the bigger one if I'm going to run it for 4,000mi and 9 months to 1 year.
There were plenty of dirt specks hanging out in the filter pleats too.
Good thing about paper filters is the big chunks of dirt settle to the bottom of the filter when the engine is off.
I believe the regular wix and the XP are both paper.

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_150558_7.jpg
    IMG_20240102_150558_7.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 4
Until the plastic teeth on the cam gear stripped. When that happened the 318 would bend all its exhaust valves.
Yeah. The 318 in my friend's '70 Dart did that, at a little over 100k miles, as best I can recall. That was a common failure on other brands of V8s back then, too.

Back