Starting to see more made in USA

34.gif

Originally Posted by grampi
It's time for the government to mandate that all American companies produce their products here in the U.S. Companies aren't going to do this on their own as they are too greedy. We need to ween ourselves off of cheap foreign labor...so what if products cost a bit more being made her, it'll be worth it...

No, I think we should just make a level playing field. If the only reason to manufacture in China was cheap labor, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. They can pollute there, too, big time, like they cannot do here. China will say that's not true, but it is. You can bribe the [censored] out of CCP officials and get anything you want, if you want it badly enough. They'll sell out their country and their people's health in a nanosecond, if you pay their asking price.

Another wonderful thing about Communism is the incredible corruption they have. All governments have corruption, but they set a much higher standard for it than democratic republics do. Although we've been getting better at it as the size of our government increases and as people care less.

My wife and I have tried to avoid buying products made in China whenever possible, but as far as vehicles go I will still consider cars from European, Japanese, and Korean manufacturers.

When you go to a top business school like I did (or any business school probably) you learn P&L, profit and loss.
Then you learn economic profit, the only real goal.
Economic profit means to maximize the wealth of the shareholders.
Over time, nothing else matters.

Manufacturing is not coming back to the US in any major way. We are in a global market.
Information technology will continue to shrink the world.
Having said that, increases in engineering and vocational schools is key.

By the way, a key reason I bought a Tesla that I didn't need was because it was built 12 miles north of my home.
They are a major employer in Silicon Valley.

The worst thing that I see around "Assembled in USA of Global Components." It just does not make any sense to me. Yeah it is assembled in USA but are made in inferior components (majority of chinese parts)

Last edited:
Reducing the amount of Asian imports will also help reduce the number of killer Hornets
I'm all for that!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by BEETLE
The worst thing that I see around "Assembled in USA of Global Components." It just does not make any sense to me. Yeah it is assembled in USA but are made in inferior components (majority of chinese parts)

I think labor is the biggest driver of cost? Going to guess the parts are cheaper to make overseas, but I'm kinda surprised that it'd be cheaper to assemble here.

But it's still a good sign.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
When you go to a top business school like I did (or any business school probably) you learn P&L, profit and loss.
Then you learn economic profit, the only real goal.
Economic profit means to maximize the wealth of the shareholders.
Over time, nothing else matters.

Manufacturing is not coming back to the US in any major way. We are in a global market.
Information technology will continue to shrink the world.
Having said that, increases in engineering and vocational schools is key.

By the way, a key reason I bought a Tesla that I didn't need was because it was built 12 miles north of my home.
They are a major employer in Silicon Valley.

Shareholders defined: Large and small investors, mutual funds, pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, hedge funds.

Ultimately the company must fulfill customer demand regardless of where the product is assembled. Typically the people who bemoan foreign parts often complain about the high cost of US parts. What is it that Milton Friedman said about free lunches?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Reducing the amount of Asian imports will also help reduce the number of killer Hornets
I'm all for that!
thumbsup2.gif

Ya but we have killer bees.
28.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Pay a oigher cost for a product or pay higher welfare costs.

Some of the legacy companies count on nobody noticing or caring. Two name brand toilet repair kits … my lifetime brand moved manufacturing to China. The other did not and a buck cheaper … I have a new brand.
Small example … but one thing at a time adds up …

It's great in theory, but isn't this a 2-way street? If you refuse to buy Chinese made products, don't you need to be 100% OK with the Chinese not buying our products?

For example, China is the #1 export market for US Agricultural products. You can kiss millions of US farm jobs goodbye if the Chinese play the same game.

It's WAY more complicated than just stopping all Chinese imports.

https://www.mda.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/inline-files/profilechina.pdf

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by FT92
need everything made in the USA. We can do it i'm sure

Then we will need 3X the engineers and 10X the tool and die makers we have now.

And a complete revamp of vocational education.....................

That's just for starters

Oh, and maybe 40 years of time.............

No within 5 years the majority of major manufacturing could be done within North America and a higher quality then now. Costs would increase but most this would be offset by better quality and higher paying jobs. To do this there needs to be a significant change in mindset not only from leaders in the marketplace, workers, lawmakers, and consumers. Having a gen y Son and gen z Son's. I can honestly say generation Z is a lot more pragmatic on this issue and as a whole are frustrated why more people don't have the mindset why don't we just do what needs to be done and start taking more responsibility of taking care of ourselves. My younger kids have asked why don't we make our own goods why are we giving jobs to China? When we grow up we want jobs and really a lot of young adolescents have said most of University Major's are a scam.

The point is listen to our soon to be adults a lot more of them realize what issues are going on then we assume. Not of all them are using YouTube solely for Fortnight streams. A lot are genuinely concerned how they can make a living when we have failed to maintain a viable foundation to help them make a career.

You nailed what I have been saying for 10 years … North America has what it needs to do this …
The consumer has to care first and let the right people know they care …

Originally Posted by 4WD
You nailed what I have been saying for 10 years … North America has what it needs to do this …

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Care about what? Paying higher prices just because? Are you saying it's okay to finance a "US Made" vehicle for 8 yrs at 0% interest just because the consumer "cares"?

I generally don't care where the product is made as long as it meets my price and quality expectations at the time of purchase. The problem with it, quality issues can become evident some time after the purchase.

My Mercedes is built in the US and I'm doubtful that I will make that mistake again. Shoddy assembly... Only made in Germany from now on for vehicles.

There is proof America can build cars that the world market wants.
They are made in Fremont, CA in an old GM, then GM Toyota plant.

They kick the snot out of any electric car made anywhere.
And most other cars too.

I would gladly pay a considerable amount more for a US- made item that lasts, versus a Chinese item that is disposable. Unfortunately, many times only the second option exists.

OP, you show a Sanden compressor, but Ive bought a few over the years that are USA made. Im not sure that is new news...

Back