Spare in your trunk and a jack

Spare is the real deal on Wrangler - upgraded the others …
Bottle jack replaced scissor - air compression - plugs etc …
Just added a chartreuse/reflective vest per feedback in similar thread

Be careful of that spare and tools going flying in a car accident, rope it down or something. I saw a metal tool box that accordioned from being flung around inside a truck.
I have my Hi-Lift secured and only use a soft side tool bag with a ratchet strap passing handles …
If that Yeti makes it up there - probably doomed already 😵‍💫

Thanks for the reminder. I check about every 6 months just to make sure it's still there and has air. I've never had one stolen from underneath the truck, but someone in this area was stealing Raptor spares (they come with an actual Raptor wheel) a while back. Mine's not a Raptor, but you never know who might need a spare and your truck might be the closest one to them.

Usually twice per year the spare pressure is checked. Since the tire repair on vacation this past summer I’ve bought breaker bars and 22mm deep well sockets & tire plug kits to accompany the OE jack kit in each vehicle. Whichever vehicle takes a long trip gets the 12v mini compressor.

I check the spares as part of an oil change, but only 1 out of the three daily drivers here has a spare. The '89 Turbo TA in the garage has an OE collapsed mini spare with an inflator. I ain't airing up a 35 year old deflated tire, so I'll call a Tow if needed.

Just checking, but when was the last time you checked your spare tires air ( im not sure if cars have a spare tire, but lets pretend you do)

Now that said, do have a jack and a tire tool to remove wheel? ,,,,,lol,,,,just call AAA is easier , imho...:)
Every car gets the spare checked at every oil change. Every car has a breaker bar and a wheel hanger tool - which is basically a very long stud to get the wheel mounted up and the first bolt installed. I don’t use it in the shop, but on the side of the road, on a dark night, that’s an important bit of gear.

The last time I had to deal with spare was daughter and granite curb at school last spring. I thought I could easily change it bringing hydraulic jack however the spare had 11 psi instead of 60 psi and my run over to harbor freight for an $9 12v pump that kept overheating/burned me once and took 25 mins to get to 35 psi (quite flat) was painful. I totally regretted not spending $26 on a decent pump.

Thanks for the reminder. Spare tire was only at 22 psi and should be at 60 psi.
1700242806280.jpeg

For the fun stuff, I put together a period correct spare, inflator (if appropriate) including what I believe to be factory packaging, and tool kit because I am hopelessly OCD........and keep a 'mobility kit' in case I actually have a problem.

I was never a fan of collapsible spares, but I don't suppose they truly are any better or worse than donuts.

993 tks.jpg

Just checking, but when was the last time you checked your spare tires air ( im not sure if cars have a spare tire, but lets pretend you do)

Now that said, do have a jack and a tire tool to remove wheel? ,,,,,lol,,,,just call AAA is easier , imho...:)

check the spare every time I change the oil.
I actually have 2 jacks in the truck, as well as a set of plugs and a Viair Compressor..

I have a space saver spare wheel that runs at over 60psi. It needs inflating once or twice a year to keep the pressure up. I do it when remember.

I haven't had a puncture out on the road for at least 30 years. I owned my last car for 21 years and carried the weight of a full size spare wheel around all the time. You begin to question the need to carry a spare In the light of that experience. I expect my next car will have no spare at all but that won't worry me unduly. Bear a thought for motorcyclists that can't carry a spare. Touch wood I haven't had a puncture in 50 years of motorcycling although I've ridden with people that have.

Here's another preventative maintenance task to think about doing occasionally. Most remote key fobs have a fold out key that never gets used except in an emergency. Don't wait for that emergency to find out that the lock has become stiff or seized up through lack of use. Try the key in the drivers door and boot/ trunk at the same time as checking the spare wheel.

Every car gets the spare checked at every oil change. Every car has a breaker bar and a wheel hanger tool - which is basically a very long stud to get the wheel mounted up and the first bolt installed. I don’t use it in the shop, but on the side of the road, on a dark night, that’s an important bit of gear.
A few years ago I installed a set of winter tires on a Mercedes (sedan, 2015ish) for an elderly friend.

I found the use of bolts rather than studs challenging, and thought "Someone should make a long stud that can be temporarily threaded into the top hole so as to make this job a lot easier".

Thinking it through, I can see a few advantages to bolts rather than studs.

A few years ago I installed a set of winter tires on a Mercedes (sedan, 2015ish) for an elderly friend.

I found the use of bolts rather than studs challenging, and thought "Someone should make a long stud that can be temporarily threaded into the top hole so as to make this job a lot easier".

Thinking it through, I can see a few advantages to bolts rather than studs.
Once someone has wrestled with a German/Euro wheel held on by bolts, they will understand why I bought one of those studs for every car...

Bolts may be the better way to attach wheels from an engineering perspective, I don't know, but they sure are difficult on a dark, rainy, night by the side of the road!

Once someone has wrestled with a German/Euro wheel held on by bolts, they will understand why I bought one of those studs for every car...

Bolts may be the better way to attach wheels from an engineering perspective, I don't know, but they sure are difficult on a dark, rainy, night by the side of the road!
A bolt is easier to chase the threads on, easy to replace if damaged, and easy to replace if wheels of a different thickness are installed - none of which is helpful while installing a spare tire on a dark rainy night. Trade-offs ...

Reactions: 4WD

Had a utility trailer with those - horrible - was giving it to a fellow in need (handy man) and was reminded how bad by putting new tires on before waving goodbye …

Just checked both of our Accent's this weekend for the first time. We've had the cars between 15-18 months. Wife's was at 40 PSI, mine was at 42 PSI. Sidewall says 60 PSI on it. Woops I'll be checking on that more often now.

If your on a battery line of tools,check to see if they have the compressors.I have the makita 18v,works great.Get the flash light,a plug kit.Its better to be ready

Back