Spare in your trunk and a jack

Just checking, but when was the last time you checked your spare tires air ( im not sure if cars have a spare tire, but lets pretend you do)

Now that said, do have a jack and a tire tool to remove wheel? ,,,,,lol,,,,just call AAA is easier , imho...:)

I have it but it's still the original one from 2011 and obviously need to be replaced. Donut spare are more expensive than I thought...
I doubt it will be a good idea to use emergency jacks, as last week I was surprised to find out emergency jack points will buckle when I try lifting cars from there.

Err... next to never. Some day I should come up with a checklist, with boxes, then print off and make a clipboard for each car. Weekly checks for oil, monthly checks on air pressure (all 5 tires), etc.

I do have a car that has a HF 1.5T jack in it. Did that as I have a 4.8x12 spare for my trailer, as that car sometimes tows a utility trailer. My daughter has laid claim to that car... good thing she has no need for the trunk!

I do a lot of long distance driving in the western US in the our C5 Corvette and Yukon. I always carry a spare, floor jack, and tools, just in case.
DSCN7981.JPG

My car was mfg 9/05, and my source of amusement is its brand new spare and full sized alloy rim. It has grease pencil from the factory in Japan. I think that this is like Graveyard Carz where he would do that stuff to resemble the factory. I tend to check it when I put the snow tires on, 1X per year. But I have no intention of ever using it.

The Corolla Hybrid I bought didn't originally come with a spare or even a jack, just compressor and sealant. And those were missing as well. Drove 3 1/2 hours each way to pick up the parts from a wrecked LE model for $100 that would cost nearly $500 from the dealer. For my personal car I probably wouldn't care, but I hope a buyer will appreciate it.

IMG_8971.JPG

IMG_8977.JPG

Just finished checking spares and jacks last week on 3 vehicles.

Used PB Blaster for 2 days on the '07 Siverado's full size spare tire apparatus. Came down just fine when cranked. Spare only had 14 lbs pressure. Doubt it had ever been used. I'm the 2nd owner.

'06 Solara convertible's temp spare had 7 lbs pressure, jack in place.

'06 LaCrosse's temp spare had 5 lbs pressure, jack in place.

It was certainly worth my time to do the checking.

I have the tools and jack that came with the cars. I also have an inflator so I'm not as concerned about the pressure level of the spare on my truck.

The Pacifica comes with a compact spare that you have to inflate to use and deflate to store so it came with an inflator as well.

Next time I get tires, I'll probably get a cheap one to replace the full size spare on the truck.

For anybody with a truck having the spare under the bed exposed to the elements, better lower and raise the tire at least once a year, and spray some lube in the mechanism for good measure.
I did that earlier this year for the first time (2019MY). I was impressed with how well it moved. Definitely needs to be a more regular event.

When I purchase a used vehicle, it's one of the first things I do.
I usually find it's comically low on air as the previous owners clearly never bothered.
I then proceed to filling it accordingly.

After that I try to do it annually with oil changes/washes etc., but it usually gets forgotten.
I attribute this to never needing to actually use the spare (never had a flat etc. in almost 20 years of driving).

Forte came without spare but a 'mobility kit'.
I use summer tire for spare in winter and winter tire in summer. Bought jack that lives in trunk, car came with air compressor as part of 'mobility kit', yes I tested it.

My Forte came with the fix a flat and air compressor type of setup with no spare. The spare tire was missing on the Trailblazer so I just bought a similar kit for it. I've had a few flats over the years but I've never had a complete blowout so I've warmed up to the idea of not having a spare.

Back