Sometimes on a Bike Your Number Just Comes Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
mid late 30s I was ready to push play on my motorcycling life.

Then after one harrowing trip down the putty road (I was in a 4Runner, pulling over to let bikers past), we found a guy with extra articulation in his humerous...he wasn't breathing when we found him 2 corners after letting his group past. The catcher's up were pillioning another of their group, who had speared the rail and ended up in a culvert.

That's when I realised that at 35-36, I didn't have the opportunity to develop the muscle memory in non lethal environments that my long term riding friends had (riding a postal delivery bike "motorcross, and working for gas money at age 12 because Dad's dead, and that's all we could scrape together is the opportunity to do that with time, reflexes, and the ability to heal).

I opted out...and that was without considering all the other morons out there.

My odds of winning the lottery are greatly improved if I buy a ticket. My odds of cashing out early would have been improved with a road bike.

Starting late in life is probably not a good time, unless you were dedicated to putting the time in. I started out riding on the road, but was off road as well pretty soon after...so important to learn how to control an out of control motorcycle where crashing it doesn't result in as much damage as a suburban road. You need those youthfull years of stupidity to push the limits with no fear and no worry of consequences.

Unlike most of those posting here, I don't believe if you ride long enough, then your number is up. It's the other way around, and statistics back it up - you crash in your early years on a motorcycle, and with more experience become a safer rider. Like any skill, do it long enough and you'll get pretty good at it...but you need to keep doing it, every 2nd fine sunday is not good enough. Stopping for winter is no good, you'll be a new rider next summer and have to learn again.

A few years ago, commuting to work there was a corner posted at 85kph, it was a 100kph for me everyday, wet or dry. One wet morning I see I'm reeling in a bike in front of me...we come to this corner and he's only doing 70kph, so coming out of the corner I pass him. He's on a Ducati 900 SS - on a race track this bike and rider would lap me 6 times in 2 laps...but he's not a road rider, and very inexperienced in the rain. Every 2nd fine sunday is not enough....

Originally Posted By: Silk
Starting late in life is probably not a good time, unless you were dedicated to putting the time in.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
That was a tragic and sad accident that didn't need to happen. It's funny that when there's a train wreck, plane wreck, bus accident,a ferry sinks, or the all too familiar car accident,where alot people die, people don't say I'll never ride in one of those again. But when they hear of a motorcycle accident they run out and buy a "For sale" sign for their motorcycle. I guess thats because all other forms of transportation is considered safer?.,,,

That is correct, even though you likely don't think so.

Considering the amount of motorcycles that are out there comparatively, the accident/death rate is way higher than those other forms of transport combined.
According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2006, 13.10 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles. ... Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists' risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car.

I love motorcycles and wanted a road bike for years but there are way too many idiots out there, and it's getting worse every day, for me to ever consider getting one.

Lots to think about in that post like, its 12 years old, and there aren't as many motorcycles on the road as other vehicles,and motorcycles aren't used year round as other vehicles are. And motorcycle safety training is more prevalent then it was in 2006. Passing an accident scene where a bus has crashed with a truck, or flipped over going down an embankment will leave more of an impression and fatalities then a motorcycle wreck .Even though you likely don't think so.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
That was a tragic and sad accident that didn't need to happen. It's funny that when there's a train wreck, plane wreck, bus accident,a ferry sinks, or the all too familiar car accident,where alot people die, people don't say I'll never ride in one of those again. But when they hear of a motorcycle accident they run out and buy a "For sale" sign for their motorcycle. I guess thats because all other forms of transportation is considered safer?.,,,

Yes, agree with some of this, motorcycle accidents are well publicized and we do know if you get hit, your chances are far, far, far more likely to much greater injury and death.
But, other modes of transportation are much safer for sure. I also read some of the posts above, for me, if I started earlier in life vs now later in life, there is no doubt I would have NOT lived to be typing in this forum, lucky I survived with an automobile!. With the partying we did and parties with our friends, well, that leads me to the next thing. I dont party much anymore and I certainly do not have more then a beer if on the bike.

Some interesting facts,
1. Many deaths (OVER 20%) are cars turning left in front of a motorcycle.
2. 28% of deaths are due to the rider being legally DWI
3. Another significant amount is the rider running off the road.

Anyway, like many things in life, motorcycles are dangerous, like a lot of activities, be it mountain climbing, parachuting, parasailing, whatever but you can, in my mind, greatly reduce your odds of an accident by being as visible as possible (lighting), skillful alert riding and not drink and ride.
Those 3 things greatly reduce your chances of an accident tremendously

Click - crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812148

Lots of info on the internet of course, used the above source for most of what I typed.

IN my mind, even though after my co-workers were killed I SERIOUSLY thought about giving up riding for a few weeks, that was years ago and I never gave it up.
I mean if they were in an automobile and that happened, I would not have given up automobiles.

I love riding and nothing in life is safe, even staying in your home. So my wife and I ride, both love it and we do what we can to be safe, just like any activity including putting on your seat belt in a car.

We can live life and do what we can to stay safe or we can be vegetables in a closet hiding from the world, if there were no motorcycles in the world, then the next activity considered dangerous would be the subject of so much debate, once that activity was eliminated, the next activity would be subject of so much debate, and so on and so on and so on until ... vegetables in a closet we would be ... wasting away.

Lets not forget, the ones that do live, maybe live longer then those that dont ride, riding reduces my stress levels greatly, most relaxing thing in the world to me, science has proven time and again, stress also kills, I would consider being a vegetable in a closet VERY stressful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
Stopping for winter is no good, you'll be a new rider next summer and have to learn again.

Strongly agree with this. I've always ridden right through the winter unless it snows. Even then I'd be happy to ride if there was no one else on the road. At 63 I'm a vastly safer rider than I was in my teens and early 20's and still learning.

Yeah, I don't store for the winter. I may go a full month on account of weather, but there's usually opportunity to get out and put in an afternoon at least.

Yes, I guess it helps that we don't really have a "winter" as such, but putting the bike away for a few months is the worst thing I can think of - those skills diminsh quickly if not used regularly. Riding when it's wet, cold and slippery is the best way to stay sharp.

Even riding everyday, you can still not be sharp enough. We lived on an island for 10 years, there was nowhere to go 100mph...I'd get to 95 and have to back off. I rode to work everyday, rode off road on the weekends and raced my bike at the local dirt track. We were a one car family, I carted to girls to activities on one of my bikes.

Then we came back to the city...and my riding wasn't up to it. I was scared everytime I went out, I was very nervous in the city, and wasn't used to speed out on the open road. It took what felt like a long time to get up to speed on the mainland.

The prospect of an existance spent at home on the couch in fear of fun or risk scares me far more than the prospect of a motorcycle crash. I can't even fathom that mindset in a man.

I've survived the last four days of riding like a lunatic. Maybe we'll stick around one more day, since most of the crowds have left.

From the Dunes.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
When it's your time to lose a limb, it's your time to lose a limb.

As opposed to living in fear your whole life, why not enjoy what you have, while you can
21.gif

That is most certainly not true, nor does it justify risky behavior. FYI, I love motorcycles more than anything else except flying. The feeling of freedom and power, the feeling of being one with the machine and so on.

However, risky behavior has a statistical side that can't be ignored. Furthermore the more types of risks one takes, the shorter the statistical lifespan.

Today, roughly 1 in 1000 motorcyclists die each year. Over a riding career of 50 years, that increases risk to 1 in 20.

To make matters worse, the more you ride, the higher the risk.

Last edited:
So should everybody go out and sell their bicycle as well? Stop walking?

"So we’ll compare risk at both the 6.2 billion and 21 billion miles travelled levels.

784 cyclists died in 2005 (p. 86). That would make the death rate 0.37 to 1.26 deaths per 10 million miles.

33,041 motorists/passengers died (p. 86) from 3 trillion miles travelled (p. 15), making their death rate 0.11 per 10 million miles travelled.

So cyclists are either 3.4x or 11.5x as likely to die as motorists, per passenger mile. Neither conclusion is very happy."

https://bicycleuniverse.info/bicycle-safety-almanac/

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I've survived the last four days of riding like a lunatic. Maybe we'll stick around one more day, since most of the crowds have left.

From the Dunes.

Very nice! Not too many seniors out there either waiting to pull out in front of you!
For recreation, I don't understand people riding bikes on busy roads during the weekends, pedal powered or motorized. So many morons out there either not paying attention or actually trying to run you off the road... A nice (or technical) trail in the woods is so much more fun and you have much more control of how risky your ride is.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
When it's your time to lose a limb, it's your time to lose a limb.

As opposed to living in fear your whole life, why not enjoy what you have, while you can
21.gif

That is most certainly not true, nor does it justify risky behavior. FYI, I love motorcycles more than anything else except flying. The feeling of freedom and power, the feeling of being one with the machine and so on.

However, risky behavior has a statistical side that can't be ignored. Furthermore the more types of risks one takes, the shorter the statistical lifespan.

Today, roughly 1 in 1000 motorcyclists die each year. Over a riding career of 50 years, that increases risk to 1 in 20.

Ah ha, yes, but, the statistical side also says if you dont drink and ride your bike your odds of dying decrease 30% or more, that is quite significant, then, if you are a rider with less traffic infractions on your driver license of all vehicles, you significantly reduce your risk with just avoiding those two factors coming close to a whopping 50% less then the numbers you post suggest. Add to that, additional lighting up front and reduce it even more.

Dangerous motorcycles are for sure but your odds of an accident are greatly reduced by looking at the actual statistics and not being in the largest top few groups. Drinking, Careless Riding, Etc, etc ...

Last edited:
If someone offered you $1,000,000 for one round of Russian Roulette, the actuarial tables would have you making a choice that would return $833,333 if you partook, or zero if you abstained.

the "whopping 50% less" changes the 1:20 to 1:30

If you surf, u might bet eaten by a shark...........imho...Ps--we have a Sportster In the garage, I ride it from time to time,,mostly it sits,,,I'm 72, yes I can still ride and do love it--but I won't heal well if I break a bunch of bones..but still, It is fun I must say to ride it,,,still a kid I guess

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Very nice! Not too many seniors out there either waiting to pull out in front of you!
For recreation, I don't understand people riding bikes on busy roads during the weekends, pedal powered or motorized. So many morons out there either not paying attention or actually trying to run you off the road... A nice (or technical) trail in the woods is so much more fun and you have much more control of how risky your ride is.

What you don't see in that pic, are the thousands of other people who were there over the Easter weekend. Some of them riding/driving under the influence. Then there are those that are oblivious to their surroundings, just like a large percentage of road users.

There is also the hazard of riding in unfamiliar Dunes. You can be riding along, and suddenly come up on steep dropoffs. People have died from going off those unexpectedly. And Dunes can change overnight, so you always have to check out where you're riding beforehand.

So, it can be just like riding on the road. Drunks, unaware operators, and unforeseen hazards.

But when the crowds thin out, and you have an area to yourself, blasting around the Dunes is great fun.

I don't know...I've been riding since 1958. I've never crashed on the highway. Had a few crashes on dirt bikes in the woods back in the day but alcohol might have been involved. That doesn't count. I never think about crashing. I don't leave home with crashing on my mind. I've never been afraid riding. Crashing is not part of who I am so I never have. There are those who say I will but time is running out on them to get to say I told you so. I don't do stupid stuff while riding. I'm aware of my surroundings at all times and watch the idiot drivers like hawks. I never let my guard down. I've developed rheumatoid arteritis and don't know how long I will be able to ride. I can ride today and will as long as I am able. I survived Vietnam and Hamburger Hill. Haven't worried about stuff that may or may not happen after that. You'll be careful, live your live to the fullest and tell the ones that are afraid to use the bathroom away from home what they can do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

I would argue against that. Crashing is not an inevitability and just compounding the risk due to the passage of time assuming that "one day your number will come up" is inaccurate. I would say the longer you ride and the more experience you get, the less likely the chance of an accident is. Of course freak accidents happen and there is less protection on a motorcycle than other modes of transportation, but it's not as if any of them are actually safe.

As alarmguy said above, if you are conscious of your decisions and keep yourself out of the situations most likely to result in death or injury, the risk is nowhere near as bad as the statistics would have us think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back