Someone dumps a mattress on your property

I was leaving my neighborhood yesterday and noticed some lowlife dumped two mattresses on two different properties leading out to the main road. Who is responsible to get rid of these mattresses? Can you call the city and they will take care of it or are you crap out of luck and you have to dispose of it and pay for it?

Where I live, we have a garbage truck with a scoop that will pick up trash too big to fit in the bin. Also, if the weather is sunny and a mattress is put out on the road, someone will pick it up. Kind of gross but people where I live will take almost anything that's being given away.

It's the responsibility (problem) of the property owner. Doesn't matter if someone else dumped them there - that's a separate issue.

Around here, the regular trash trucks will take them but they have to be fully bagged in plastic.

I ride a bicycle 15 miles a day, and I've nearly seen everything dumped out along country roads.
Best two were a $20 bill and a $5 bill. I've also found gift cards with $$$ still on them... just laying along the edge of the road.
Padlocks with the key still in them, tools, ratchet straps are the most common (things that fall off of trucks or trailers)
If I can't pick it up while on the bike, for some of what I see, I'll go back later with the pickup and grab it.

I'd call whoever is responsible for maintaining that particular stretch of road first... be it the city, township, or county... and ask.

Where I live, we have a garbage truck with a scoop that will pick up trash too big to fit in the bin. Also, if the weather is sunny and a mattress is put out on the road, someone will pick it up. Kind of gross but people where I live will take almost anything that's being given away.
Same here - we had left a couple after booking a day for pickup …
Coming back from town - there was an F150 parked and loading one - so I decided to go do more things in town - gone about an hour …
One mattress remained - but it was not one of our two LoL …

Watch for bedbugs when you handle the mattress!
Oh man, that's a good point. My wife's cousin's family got them from a hotel in AC a while back. Now all the clothes, cars, on and on have to be considered. Hopefully someone else will get it, not OP.

That sucks. My landfill charges 20 bucks per mattress or box spring. They recommended tearing it down first and then throwing it. I would tear into my own mattress, but not somebody elses old one, yuck!!

Had a tire shop dump and partially bury a few truckloads of tires on my property. I'm responsible for digging them up with an excavator and disposing of them. Will have to do it soon to avoid fines from the County.
The tire shop changed ownership so I can't go after them. County Environmental says they use shell companies to "change" ownership on a routine basis whenever they get in trouble.

In my area we can ask the municipal to come pick up large items 2 times a year for 2 items each visit. People usually just call to pick up these things when they want them gone. I haven't seen dumping like this.

Obligatory:
chainsaw.jpg

Back