Lost a car today

I feel for you man. When my son wrecked his truck last October of 22 I was in Las Vegas. We heard at 1130 the night it happened, we were at the hospital 12 hours later.

I am glad your daughter is alright. I have never been so sick in my entire life.
I have not shared this here before, but this is what I was greeted with. I am so blessed my kid is alive. My old A** would have been dead.

Hope seeing this help ease your pain a bit. It sucks, but your kid is ok. And just like the pile below a 2000 Camry is just that too. Easily replaced.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
If it's any consolation the used car market's softened a lot up here in the last couple months. People want that extra car gone so they don't have to plow around it.

THAT is a terrifying call to get, then the what if is running through your head. Like the mercedes threading itself thru the guide wire and telephone pole... peeling back the roof rail, but daughter is fine. She learned a valuable lesson that day, and we lost a great car, but not a scratch on her which is all that matters.

Glad she's OK as has been pointed out cars are replaceable, daughters not.

I feel for you man. When my son wrecked his truck last October I was in Las Vegas. We heard at 1130 the night before, we were at the hospital 12 hours later.

I am glad your daughter is alright. I have never been so sick in my entire life.
I have not shared this here before, but his is what I was greeted with. I am so blessed my kid is alive. My old A** would have been dead.

Hope seeing this help ease your pain a bit. It sucks, but your kid is ok. And just like the pile below a 2000 Camry is just that too. Easily replaced.
I'm tearing up just looking at that--I might not have made it had I gotten on scene, seeing that. At least I was 5 minutes down the road and there minutes after notification (which took like 10 as cell service sucks out here).

I'm tearing up just looking at that--I might not have made it had I gotten on scene, seeing that. At least I was 5 minutes down the road and there minutes after notification (which took like 10 as cell service sucks out here).
It is tough sending a kid out into the world. Amazing the amount of abuse a 17 year old can take. Oh I cried when I saw the thing.
I am glad you were close and able to get there quick. Certainly makes a huge difference for all involved. Again happy your daughter is good! Does not look like she was going terribly fast.

Glad that she's ok! It happens, one of my friends in HS flipped her Taurus in pretty much the same circumstances, it was a learning experience and she didn't repeat it.

That Camry roof seemed to absorb the rollover pretty well. Daughter is safe.

IF I were you, I would replace it with another Toyota.

Very scary indeed! So glad to hear no one was hurt and no other vehicles involved.

Given I currently have an 18yr old and 21yr old on my auto insurance along with my wife and I, I get the adrenaline dump every time they leave the driveway!

I always put full sets of snow tires on their cars as well.

Glad to hear she's well and that you're well enough to post this. Hopefully, after the adrenaline wears off, your injuries aren't significant.

Last edited:
Medical bills trounce any old car replacement cost, as long as she's fine and insurance covers a check up it's all good. Real shame about the car though.

Just this Summer my wife hooked up with 3 other gals and drove to a reunion.
As she left I thought, "I hope they get there safely".
Now I know I'm getting old...thinking "old person thoughts".
The immature me would just say, "Don't get any tickets" or "Keep track of your fuel mileage".

It's comforting to hear all these "common sense" sentiments.

Now, with that done....had she paid for the car herself, would she have driven more carefully? (kidding, kidding...I swear I'm kidding).

Want another bad 'chuckle'?
You mentioned your heart pounding for a long time.
I worked with a guy who, after a completely hair raising, terrifying episode, said, "Maybe this will keep me from having a heart attack for an extra couple of years?"

I hope episodes like these send a blast of biological vein and artery cleaner through our bodies. (seriously).
Besides heightening our appreciation for our loved ones, it's the only up-side I can come up with.
Really glad she isn't injured.

Out shoveling snow this morning, cleaned the daughter's (well mine) car off, she took off for school. Was wrapping up snow cleaning, wife came out the door--daughter rolled the car. Not sure I've driven faster on worse roads, seatbelt nearly got torn in two due to that **** tension that fires if you pull too hard--yeah I got a lot of fine motor control when the heart is off the chart.

She's fine, I'm not. I'm not sure I've gotten over the adrenaline dump. Hell my heart is spiking just rethinking it.

View attachment 191509

I called it write-off on the scene. All gone. :(
View attachment 191510

I just put snows on the other day, they were old but it wasn't icy. Or I should say icy much, probably the slush got packed down, turned to ice. Tight turn, probably kicked out in the rear and overcorrected.
Glad she was alright. Old snow tires don't have the right properties of new ones to be beneficial in snow. Five year old snow tires stored anywhere where it gets hot in the summer need to go in to the trash.JMHO

Last edited:
Back