Some really nasty cold weather starts. YIKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started my truck yesterday at -11. Cranked very slow but started and ran fine. Got home and noticed it cracked the radiator!

Started the Jeep later at -22. New AGM battery over the summer and it still cranked very slow but then ran fine

Originally Posted by JTK
I know the series of late model Subarus I owned had ridiculously low CCA batteries in them. They would likely never start at the temps in the above clips.

My Forester's OEM battery was fine at low temperatures when new, but was replaced under warranty when it barely managed to start at 30 below zero after a year or two, and showed as a dismal failure on the dealer's battery testing machine. The replacement had twice the CCAs, and I believe that's now the standard OEM battery for Canadian Subarus.

Now I have a battery heater as well, so I never have to worry about starting if the car has been plugged in. And, so far, I haven't had any problem starting it with the new battery when it's not plugged in.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Automakers qualify all parts and systems that go into a car down to -40°.

Celcius or Fahrenheit?

I just assumed it was a joke question.

It was. Didn't think I'd need my /s.

Its getting bad here too, started plugging my truck in now.

StevieC, I thought you Ontarians don't get that sort of cold! Its a bit brisk.

I usually command start the truck with the block heater plugged in. I like to run out and put the key in and exhaust brake on to get her really warm. I then unplug it so my wife doesn't run off with the cord in tow. Actually she always remembers but I have been known, in my younger years, to have lost a cord or two in my time...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Automakers qualify all parts and systems that go into a car down to -40°.

Celcius or Fahrenheit?

I just assumed it was a joke question.

And the answer is "who cares" :) Drumoll please

Originally Posted by JTK
It will unplug itself when she drives away. Kidding!

Trust me, I considered that already ! I'd use a yellow or orange extension cord and would even tie it off so in case she did forget to unplug it, it should pull out of the car outlet only.

Originally Posted by javacontour

I'd not want to buy a used car from the knuckleheads (human or computer) that ran the revs up to 5k on a cold engine.

Knew a guy who on a very cold day started his car then immediately redlined every gear through the city on the way to his destination. I don't remember if he did it for fun or because something ticked him off that morning and he was in a bad mood.

He said when he arrived at his destination the car now had a huge knocking sound.

Who knows, though, someone who treats their car that way may have been running it 3 quarts low on oil that day too.

Originally Posted by StevieC
All caught up in the post count. Who cares? Are there police looking out for those accumulating posts too quickly? Didn't know there was a speed limit...
smirk2.gif

Tie that into your odometer, and you'll get a stack overflow in no time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by StevieC
All caught up in the post count. Who cares? Are there police looking out for those accumulating posts too quickly? Didn't know there was a speed limit...
smirk2.gif

Tie that into your odometer, and you'll get a stack overflow in no time.
wink.gif

Just rolled over 19K this morning.
grin2.gif
I've had the van since the middle of October.

My 16 PSD has been parked since October.
It was -6 Wednesday morning, and I wound up having to move it. Since it was going to get started anyway, I drove it to work.
Fuel was doped with Stanadyne, Sta-Bil, and Sta-Bil biocide for storage. 15w40 in the sump.
Fired off like it was 70 degrees, and I let it warm up until the coolant temp was 50 degrees.
Ran like a champ. Those 6.7 PSD are amazing.

A buddy of mine with a 2013 F250 PSD has run nothing by Rotella T 15w40 for the last 100,000km out here. All he does is plug his block heater in before starting. No knocks, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back