So, Now I'm On My 4th Tacoma

So, truth be it, I loved my 2021 Tacoma. It had 25,000 trouble free miles. Got through several bad snow storms without issue. Also towed that UHaul trailer up and over the mountain when I was moving and didn't skip a beat. However, one thing I couldn't stand was the transmission. Even after the dealer recently reset the adaptives, it still would shutter something fierce! While it wasn't too bad, the constant gear hunting was excessive on my commute.

So, I've been keeping my eye out for a nice 2020 or 2021 with the 6 speed manual. Most of them were 2 hours or more away. Local dealer was no help, and wasn't sure if they could be allocated a new one. This one happened to pop up somewhat local to me. Has everything my old truck had (technology package) and also the LED lighting package. Previous owner only had it 3 months and 2500 miles!

So, let me introduce you to my 2022 Tacoma TRD OR 6MT!

GHhGoCH.jpg

RCutFfr.jpg

FGUi68A.jpg

nDhNMB0.jpg

4A4NfS3.jpg

Definitely have to get used to the long throws of this shifter. However, it has "cured" everything I hated about my old truck. Got on the highway and just cruised in 6th. No shifting needed. Even the lower speed state roads 6th held everything fine.

I did keep the TRD Pro tail lights from my old truck. Didn't waste any time installing them!

LOcsulf.jpg

Super long! :ROFLMAO:

I was used to the shorter throws my GTI and Talon had. It's no race truck that's for sure! Definitely something to get used to.
that's why asked :D

i could not stand it for a day, let a lone for a lifetime!

Toyota and manuals do not belong to the same sentence :ROFLMAO:

that's why asked :D

i could not stand it for a day, let a lone for a lifetime!

Toyota and manuals do not belong to the same sentence :ROFLMAO:

It's not that bad honestly. I've owned a couple truck with manuals and the throws were a little bit long. I understand it isn't for everybody.

I'm taken by the handbrake, never seen one in a pickup before.

I have seen "cane handle" handbrakes that pull up and out from under the dash in classic 80's Japanese trucks, but not a lever one like this.

Heck, the Prius uses a pedal!

Anyway, congrats on the nice truck.

Super long! :ROFLMAO:

I was used to the shorter throws my GTI and Talon had. It's no race truck that's for sure! Definitely something to get used to.

I have a B&M short throw shifter for the AX-15 in my Jeep and it definitely made a big difference.

I struggle pulling the manual Tacomas in the bay lol. Very easy to stall if you aren’t used to the way it is. That’s a really nice truck. In my opinion the Tacoma has always been a nice looking truck. I do prefer the 4 cylinder for the spin on filter though lol 😂. That’s the only reason lol. Don’t have to take those heavy annoying plates off.

I struggle pulling the manual Tacomas in the bay lol. Very easy to stall if you aren’t used to the way it is. That’s a really nice truck. In my opinion the Tacoma has always been a nice looking truck. I do prefer the 4 cylinder for the spin on filter though lol 😂. That’s the only reason lol. Don’t have to take those heavy annoying plates off.

Surprisingly I didn't stall it at all on the test drive. Salesman even took me through a part of the city where there was tons of stop signs. Came close, but didn't.

I figured you would like that it doesn't have the push button start, just the regular old key :ROFLMAO:

Surprisingly I didn't stall it at all on the test drive. Salesman even took me through a part of the city where there was tons of stop signs. Came close, but didn't.

I figured you would like that it doesn't have the push button start, just the regular old key :ROFLMAO:
Haha I didn’t even notice that lol. A+ from me on that one. Can’t beat an old school key. I just recently figured out with the push button start you don’t have to hold it down to start it haha. Just tap it with your foot on the brake and it’s on.

congrats for you! super nice truck. God I love a M/T in a truck and Tacos are super nice.
Nice find. I would have totally ordered a new Tacoma with the 6spd if i had the money. The rumor is that the big unveiling tomorrow the Tacoma loses the manual transmission and goes 4cyl /hybrid only. Subaru just ditched the manual in the Impreza and crosstrek in the usa this year.

Haha I didn’t even notice that lol. A+ from me on that one. Can’t beat an old school key. I just recently figured out with the push button start you don’t have to hold it down to start it haha. Just tap it with your foot on the brake and it’s on.

I will miss the keyless entry though. Just grab the door handle and it unlocks, or press the spot on the handle and it locks. Why Toyota didn't put that feature on the manuals if beyond me...

Nice find. I would have totally ordered a new Tacoma with the 6spd if i had the money. The rumor is that the big unveiling tomorrow the Tacoma loses the manual transmission and goes 4cyl /hybrid only. Subaru just ditched the manual in the Impreza and crosstrek in the usa this year.

That's another reason why I jumped on this super low mile example! Although I wouldn't be mad at all if they went to a turbo 4! These trucks need some more down low power like the old 4.0 had.

I have seen "cane handle" handbrakes that pull up and out from under the dash in classic 80's Japanese trucks, but not a lever one like this.

Jeep Gladiator still uses a hand brake …

I remember my 2007 Frontier had a hand brake as well.

It does make it nice for assist on steep hills. With all the features they put on this thing, there's no hill assist for some reason... :unsure:

Reactions: 4WD
How refreshing!! A real shifter and a hand brake where it’s supposed to be. You can’t modulate the electric park-brakes that are everywhere now. Toyota has always kept an eye to actual in-dirt truck use, and sometimes you need an actual hand brake when navigating rough stuff, or modulating a start over an obstacle from sitting still.

with a long throw shifter I tend to figure out a way to shift sooner, or don’t get in a hurry, or seek a short-throw kit. Tbh, I started driving with a 77 corona with the 5MT 22R, the dimensions seem the same to me.

this looks like a great truck!

Back