So my neighbors want money for their weeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay attention to the slope of the ground next time. Your land may be sloped where rain water from your property is directed to a neighbor's land. Water from rains will flow a long distance, where sloped. Along with the rainwater comes all the killer ingredients you put down.

That's probably what caused this. Allowing a week with no rain sometimes makes no difference either. The killer ingredients just sit atop the soil until the next rain.

Obviously use less volume next time, wherever you currently see dead or sick plantation on a neighbor's property.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
I thought 2,4-D killed everything (with extreme prejudice).

Oh, no, that stuff is designed for broadleaf stuff. They spray it on grassy crops here all the time to control thistles and the like. I use it on my lawn to control dandelions and so forth. Trees don't like it much, either, so I exhibit caution around them.

Over the years in rural areas, it always seemed the the 2,4-D was a little more persistent and likely to cause problems when drifting than the Roundup.

The land is actually sloped towards me but I wonder if the root system doesn't follow that uphill and out of my yard. The area in question actually was killed in a circular pattern which again supports my root theory. To that extent it is maybe an area of 15-20 sq. ft. depending on whether you count the dirt pile the tree grew out of. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that dirt was from the PO attempt at a Koi Pond that I removed. So it really makes me wonder if it is my property just the fence was not put back that far.

Best thing happen after a day out with the family.

Same scenario as above, come home and she is waiting there to tell me I owe her $250 dollars because the damage is far greater than she thought. I looked out my daughters window and the only thing I can tell that changed was they dug up the dirt.

Her words: I used some strong chemical that nothing will grow from ever again so it required the dirt to be dug out & replaced.

Round-Up themselves say you can replant grass seed in 7 days ornamental plants in 1 day.

Whether that is true or not I don't know but I can't imagine they wouldn't know their own product.

I even repeated what I said before. I will pay for the grass seed and I even offered a tree. She just started repeating it's only $250 and then started to take pot shots at my yard. She even got my other neighbor involved saying he witnessed it and I killed his yard too.

He has a concrete patio next to my yard in the back so what on that I can kill I don't know. Plus he never came to me and said anything which would make sense because there was nothing the kill.

The best part is her claiming the husband is a contractor and maybe he was but his day job is being a dealer mechanic. I know where he works. It is in NJ at Clinton Honda/Acura and the most I have ever seen him do was redo his decking but hey maybe he is fine. Then came "Well I read this on the internet and then read that..." O dear...

FYI It poured on the East Coast for a good stint after this happened and in recent days. The killer is gone.

I know this was a bit of rant but holy heck I think this lady is crazy and probably why her husband didn't come me instead. I offered way in the beginning my time & money. I offered my original again...but she still wants $250.

So I told her to pound sand, she threatens the zoning board and then her lawyer...etc. I said good luck proving it was me and intentionally done. Also make sure you tell them I was totally reasonable before your crazy request.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
The land is actually sloped towards me but I wonder if the root system doesn't follow that uphill and out of my yard. The area in question actually was killed in a circular pattern which again supports my root theory. To that extent it is maybe an area of 15-20 sq. ft. depending on whether you count the dirt pile the tree grew out of. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that dirt was from the PO attempt at a Koi Pond that I removed. So it really makes me wonder if it is my property just the fence was not put back that far.

Best thing happen after a day out with the family.

Same scenario as above, come home and she is waiting there to tell me I owe her $250 dollars because the damage is far greater than she thought. I looked out my daughters window and the only thing I can tell that changed was they dug up the dirt.

Her words: I used some strong chemical that nothing will grow from ever again so it required the dirt to be dug out & replaced.

Round-Up themselves say you can replant grass seed in 7 days ornamental plants in 1 day.

Whether that is true or not I don't know but I can't imagine they wouldn't know their own product.

I even repeated what I said before. I will pay for the grass seed and I even offered a tree. She just started repeating it's only $250 and then started to take pot shots at my yard. She even got my other neighbor involved saying he witnessed it and I killed his yard too.

He has a concrete patio next to my yard in the back so what on that I can kill I don't know. Plus he never came to me and said anything which would make sense because there was nothing the kill.

The best part is her claiming the husband is a contractor and maybe he was but his day job is being a dealer mechanic. I know where he works. It is in NJ at Clinton Honda/Acura and the most I have ever seen him do was redo his decking but hey maybe he is fine. Then came "Well I read this on the internet and then read that..." O dear...

FYI It poured on the East Coast for a good stint after this happened and in recent days. The killer is gone.

I know this was a bit of rant but holy heck I think this lady is crazy and probably why her husband didn't come me instead. I offered way in the beginning my time & money. I offered my original again...but she still wants $250.

So I told her to pound sand, she threatens the zoning board and then her lawyer...etc. I said good luck proving it was me and intentionally done. Also make sure you tell them I was totally reasonable before your crazy request.

lol.gif

Legally if you followed label rates BUT if you know the herbicide itself there is a moral issue. Being you are from the East Coast breakdown occurs with UV(SUNLIGHT). The closer to equater stronger the UV. Your location is weak!

Reason companies can get away with home usage is because most home owners don't have the $$$ to fight any mishaps as long as it labelled.

One case where a promising Pre-Emergent was brought onto the market. They didn't test it fully with different weather conditions in different locations. UV is not the same every location. Anyways so happens that in certain location(48 states) the herbicide weakened and did extensive damage to grass. High end landscapers dealing with millionaire homes got sued by home owners couldn't blame them. The landscapers themselves were following label instructions. The landscapers and professional applicators sued the company and the company lost big times millions. Reason they brought it into the market to fast without complete geographic weather conditions.

Like wise here in Hawaii the UV is stronger than in Arizona BUT they tested a product saying hey we tested here in Arizona same temp conditions. The UV is not the same. Soil conditions also may differ.

Your neighbor may have a case...weather is cooling, soil activity is decreasing and your UV is weak in your area. Chemicals need to break down.

Hey I was helpful, she wants an arbitrary number in $$$ for grass and a mound of dirt. Said items may even be on my property based on the country parcels online resource. I may be making a trip to the county office to find out for sure.

$250 to repair an area the size of a small bathroom is absurd especially considering they didn't even use sod. Hey she read it on the internet and her husband is some expert contractor...ya I bet.

She can do what she wants I used a product in my yard as intended. If it caused accidental damage I was ready to be reasonable, that is out the window.

She can go pound the grass behind her house.

Maybe the tree was sick to begin with and you're catching the heat. I've sprayed, actually soaked bamboo with round up and the bamboo was laughing I think, same goes for all the weed trees in the back corner of my yard. I wish the stuff worked as well for me as it did for you. It kills weeds for me, that's about it, and they end up coming back even if I treat the area I'm trying to keep weed free.

Ya It worked well for the vines and small saplings but the trees are technically alive still.

I should also note this was done about one month ago so if UV inactivates it we have had plenty hot UV filled days since then.

I just think the root system spread it out and if thats the case they start on my fence line so o well [censored] happens.

I use roundup and 2,4-D on my property around other landscing plants quite often. I have not seen either migrate any distance beyond he sprayed area. Roundup become ineffective very quickly when in contact with soil.

Exactly so how it did to her part & not the rest of my property I sprayed I don't get. You can see EXACTLY where I sprayed on my fence line everywhere else.

Hey I was helpful, she wants an arbitrary number in $$$ for grass and a mound of dirt. Said items may even be on my property based on the country parcels online resource. I may be making a trip to the county office to find out for sure.

$250 to repair an area the size of a small bathroom is absurd especially considering they didn't even use sod. Hey she read it on the internet and her husband is some expert contractor...ya I bet.

She can do what she wants I used a product in my yard as intended. If it caused accidental damage I was ready to be reasonable, that is out the window.

She can go pound the grass behind her house.

Nah I was kidding just giving examples. What most need to know the chemicals need to breakdown. Before applying any type of herbicide or insecticide geographic location may differ in effectiveness and breakdown.

Personally I wouldn't use Monsanto Roundup reason the surfactant has a detrimental effect on soil microbes. Glysophate breaks down from microbe soil activity. Different seasons you may have more or less activity. Also the Monsanto's surfactant takes a long time to break down, which I believe it's geared for the GMO application. You need environmental friendly surfactant...I'd use a generic brand of glysophate if I was to use it.

Monsanto tested the glysophate in healthy thriving organic soil conditions. Healthy microbes fed on the glysophate breaking it down very quickly. Actually the microbe population increased after the breakdown so that was a very effective marketing for the product. BUT not all weather season are the same especially in different geographic location. Reason it's label an organic herbicide.

Normal home owners aren't aware of it you know read the label is it safe. What I'm trying say is awareness that herbicides and insecticides need to break down.

The Roundup Poison Ivy product first listed by the OP contains Triclopyr salt, an active ingredient used in the professional right-of-way woody brush control product called Garlon 3A.

It is specifically labeled to kill trees and woody brush. It's main application method is to the foliage where it is absorbed and translocated throughout the plant (including the roots). But, it can also be applied to the basal bark or to cut stumps for absorption. While not a soil applied herbicide for its mode of action, it does have some residual effects as cautioned on the label.

IF there were tree roots exposed near the ground, it is possible to have taken up the herbicide this way. Mist drifting onto the foliage is also a possible way it killed the adjacent trees. If you sprayed similar trees on your property, it is possible to have translocated to the neighbors trees trough shared roots or root grafts.

The laws (like always) are difficult to interpret, but the applicator is responsible to prevent any drift outside the application area. The fact that some of the neighbors grass was killed is an indication that airborne drift did occur (the glyphosate portion...triclopyr is a broadleaf only herbicide).

Best of luck.

Doitmyself is right on the money. I've used the triclopyr in a product called Crossbow (similar to Garlon). If you read the product label, it states that triclopyr is a systemic herbicide that can be taken up by roots. It specifically cautions not to apply it to any exposed roots of trees you do not want to kill.

You used a chemical that you did not understand, in a situation that caused damage to your neighbor's landscaping. Plus you must have sprayed in windy conditions if you had glycophosphate drift. I'd be pretty angry if I was your neighbor, and I'd say the responsibility is on you to make good.

Last edited:
I sprayed the ground with a small fan to concentrate it in one area. I even took car to not go willy nilly in the air when facing the fence. Facing the inside of my yard it didn't matter.

I can't remember the wind from that day but saying that makes me think it was minimal or else it may have stuck with me.

If I get a chance this week I am stopping by the county office to see if I can did up some info on the property lines.

My house was built 1979, theirs were early 2000's with a big fight from our HOA too apparently. The builder & city claimed they did not have to be included as their was not enough land on the plots.

I sit on .18 acre currently. They have .10 via the county records.

Sumac die back quickly this time of year. Did they do that?

I use Roundup all that time. If it didn't get on the leaves it didn't do anything. I would dare say the same thing about the other stuff.

Unless you were completely irresponsible and spraying on a windy day, I'd say they are full of prunes.

Sumac stands don't allow much grass inside of them or on their shady side. It would have been weeds there, at best.

Likely there will be sumac and weeds there next year anyway. Wait them out.

Oh, and research exactly what it is you are looking at so as to find a number of ways to tell them they have no idea what they're talking about.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Sumac die back quickly this time of year. Did they do that?

I use Roundup all that time. If it didn't get on the leaves it didn't do anything. I would dare say the same thing about the other stuff.

Unless you were completely irresponsible and spraying on a windy day, I'd say they are full of prunes.

Sumac stands don't allow much grass inside of them or on their shady side. It would have been weeds there, at best.

Likely there will be sumac and weeds there next year anyway. Wait them out.

Oh, and research exactly what it is you are looking at so as to find a number of ways to tell them they have no idea what they're talking about.

I had a couple of "starters" we'll say, they died but it took a while. Their 20ft tall sumacs did not actually at all, maybe brown a bit but nothing more.

The area they are so [censored] about is the circular outcrop from the base of the sumacs. It went out like a root system would I think.

If my property extends back to the sumacs in question which I think it does then it is my property, maybe 3 x 3 lot would be theirs at that point.

Last edited:
If the sumacs were spreading out by root, if you sprayed any of it on your side it could easily have followed the roots back under the fence.

The neighbor behind me has some volunteer mulberries. I hate those things. The cable company cut the closest one to my shed back to a 6 foot tall pole. It started sprouting leaves. I just happened by one day while spraying sumac and other weeds and gave the sprouted leaves a generous helping of Roundup. It killed back the leaves but did not drop the whole thing and more leaves came back after a couple of months.

Sumacs are a trash tree. They look pretty in the fall or when not on my property, but forfeit their place on earth when they come over the wire.

Well the plot thickens,

They filed a claim against my Home Owners insurance...for what a patch of weeds?

It is funny though they had no problem lying to their "Home Warranty" company when they got locked out of the house and smashed their garage window to get back in. I saw them do it once, they told me it happened twice before. I guess insurance fraud runs in their blood.

That explains why I smell alcohol on the husband's breath a lot.

They filed a claim against my Home Owners insurance...for what a patch of weeds?

Good gravy. Well, unfortunately, the use of chemical sprays seems to bring out the crazies. We see a lot of that in this province.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back