So how is your Christmas shopping going?

Mine is 99% done. Probably over 90% done online.

My daughter will fly out to see my other daughter in Colorado for Christmas so it is far cheaper to have them shipped by Amazon there and have her wrap them.

Wife and I bought ourselves some new tires and a battery. We are pretty much set. We keep things very simple with our adult kids and grandkids - get something they need via mail order most times. We don't engage in the over-spending and madness. Having said that, I do remember the toy over-abundance when our kids and grandkids were very young. Good grief, the madness of it all.

Since we're in saving mode for a new house that doesn't flood every time it sprinkles, we're not doing Christmas presents with anyone this year. Just get together with family; the way it should be.

Done

Bought my wife a new house. To the rest I remain the;

images

No Christmas shopping. I am doing my part to be a solution too the problem.

Wife and I are Jewish and Hanukkah starts today at sundown. So I'm going shopping today.

We actually exchange gifts on Christmas for fun like clothes I think she'd look cute in and she does the same.

Haven’t even started yet lol 😂. I don’t have time to do any shopping. Parents said they have already done some for me. They already know there is only three things I ever ask for money, tools and gift cards to tool stores or auto part stores.

I have been spraying foam onto "Holiday spending" for a while now. Wife and I never did scheduled gift giving.

In 2019 a sister died. Clearing out her stuff reveled an enormous cache of unopened gifts she had received as well as many items bought by her for others. She had a "buying problem"; and looking at her possessions received as gifts, it appeared she wasn't alone.
We got everything sorted. The day we loaded the truck for the last time-the last day we'd have to be all together- I decided to grandstand.

I bellowed like an insane pig that we should dump this gift giving thing once and for all. I went on and on about it real loudly.
I searched the depths of all my life's experiences to select the most terribly obnoxious timbre to add to my voice.
They all agreed. I know I'm happy. I haven't heard any complaints.

edit: Just saw 64bawagon's post. Ha, beat you. Back when I did "shopping" I'd be done in August as I'd do Summer vacation replacement work on the Upper West Side...where small, individualized stores were clearing out for....you guessed it!

I have been spraying foam onto "Holiday spending" for a while now. Wife and I never did scheduled gift giving.

In 2019 a sister died. Clearing out her stuff reveled an enormous cache of unopened gifts she had received as well as many items bought by her for others. She had a "buying problem"; and looking at her possessions received as gifts, it appeared she wasn't alone.
We got everything sorted. The day we loaded the truck for the last time-the last day we'd have to be all together- I decided to grandstand.

I bellowed like an insane pig that we should dump this gift giving thing once and for all. I went on and on about it real loudly.
I searched the depths of all my life's experiences to select the most terribly obnoxious timbre to add to my voice.
They all agreed. I know I'm happy. I haven't heard any complaints.

edit: Just saw 64bawagon's post. Ha, beat you. Back when I did "shopping" I'd be done in August as I'd do Summer vacation replacement work on the Upper West Side...where small, individualized stores were clearing out for....you guessed it!
Its not a contest ;)

Your story hits close to home, when I went through my folks things after they passed we ran into some similar things. Gifts I thought my Dad would surely use were still in the box tucked in the back of a storage cabinet. Material things mean significantly less than deeds done and time spent.

Wife and I bought ourselves some new tires and a battery. We are pretty much set. We keep things very simple with our adult kids and grandkids - get something they need via mail order most times. We don't engage in the over-spending and madness. Having said that, I do remember the toy over-abundance when our kids and grandkids were very young. Good grief, the madness of it all.
Our spending has decreased alot over the years. Used to spend way too much.

I am trying to get into the spirit listening to Christmas music. I keep thinking of family members who have departed.

Back