Small plane crash after takeoff in Augusta, GA

Piloting a single or double prop plane is one of the riskier things to do. There just seems to be so many of these crashes. Recent one in Tennessee, that killed a family of 5, an example.

One person on board. The article sites witnesses who say the "engine was under full power" during the crash.

First rule of crash investigations - witnesses are unreliable.

They don’t know what full power sounds like, they get speeds wrong, they miss important details.

I will take this “engine under full power” with a very large grain of salt.

Piloting a single or double prop plane is one of the riskier things to do.
I disagree.

When the airplane is properly maintained, the pilot is proficient, and the pilot is capable of good judgement, then the accident rate is extremely low. If you look at the NTSB database you'll see that the majority of the accidents are pilot error and the fatal accident rate is 1 per 100,000 flight hours.

I disagree.

When the airplane is properly maintained, the pilot is proficient, and the pilot is capable of good judgement, then the accident rate is extremely low. If you look at the NTSB database you'll see that the majority of the accidents are pilot error and the fatal accident rate is 1 per 100,000 flight hours.

you have to understand for the vast majority of the population, their only experience with aircraft comes from the news about one crashing. They don't understand the volume of air travel today, and just how common air travel is today. it use to be plane spotting, now its satellite spotting, you cant hardly look up without seeing a plane today.

Piloting a single or double prop plane is one of the riskier things to do. There just seems to be so many of these crashes. Recent one in Tennessee, that killed a family of 5, an example.
Not really, as mentioned previously a well-maintained GA aircraft flown by a proficient pilot is reasonably safe. One of the best analyses I saw roughly equated the GA (non scheduled commercial) risk to that of motorcycles, for fatalities. That said 'GA' flying includes some particularly high risk flying such as crop dusting, some charter, banner towing.

Life is risky...at least most of the fun parts.

When the airplane is properly maintained, the pilot is proficient, and the pilot is capable of good judgement, then the accident rate is extremely low.
All day, but at the same time disqualifies many planes and pilots.
Blancolirio YouTube channel (he's an active 777 pilot), is an eye opener on how badly seemingly proficient pilots can mess things up. Air France crash in the Atlantic is such a case.

All day, but at the same time disqualifies many planes and pilots.
Blancolirio YouTube channel (he's an active 777 pilot), is an eye opener on how badly seemingly proficient pilots can mess things up. Air France crash in the Atlantic is such a case.
Go back and watch Juan Browne’s review of Air France 447 again.

That pilot was not proficient. Nor was he well trained. Not for the mission he was flying.

The standards are much different for an airliner than for a simple
single engine, fixed gear airplane.

We’ve talked about that crash at length.

Go back and watch Juan Browne’s review of Air France 447 again.

That pilot was not proficient. Nor was he well trained. Not for the mission he was flying.

The standards are much different for an airliner than for a simple
single engine, fixed gear airplane.

We’ve talked about that crash at length.
Reread my comment, seemly proficient isn't the same as proficient. Most folks taking a flight on a major carrier would assume pilots are proficient. You agreed with me.

Back