Sludged filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lot of sludge. I doubt very frequent oil changes and new filters will even clean it up to like new. The engine will probably last a long time however I doubt it will ever be as quiet as the same engine with very good OCI's.

The engine was probably that bad even before a supposed 30k mi amsoil oil change. No good deed goes unpunished. Even 3k/3mo oil changes for the rest of its life would not clean out that car.

sick.gif

The damage is done. So long as the oil pickup doesn't clog on completely starve the engine I expect it will keep going, but for how long? We need more info for the death pool.

This reminds me of my mother. 2008 Dodge Caliber. More than once I've gotten in the car and it's been 20,000+ miles since her last change and they only ever put in conventional. Somehow that engine is still chugging along today but after I berated her a couple times, she's been better. Granted she has a husband but he's useless.

Also had a friend in college, she was real winner, twice I checked her oil and it was so low it didn't even touch the dipstick. That's another one where I was always confused how the engines kept on going.

It did teach me something MUCH more valuable though...

Us BITOG'ers worry far far too much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
The engine was probably that bad even before a supposed 30k mi amsoil oil change.

Supposed? That motor ran fine when new. This is a textbook example of what happens when an engine is neglected. The lesson here? Change your oil, regardless of if you prefer fancy boutique oils or old fashioned dino oils.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
sick.gif

The damage is done. So long as the oil pickup doesn't clog on completely starve the engine I expect it will keep going, but for how long? We need more info for the death pool.

He will be changing it again tomorrow for the first time solo
thumbsup2.gif
and will be sending updated pictures of drained oil and filter.

When I originally brought up this forum he thought the idea of a bunch of guys arguing the merits of oils and filters online was a bit...different, but after reading this thread he was impressed and appreciative of the feedback. Who knows, we may have a new BITOG member before this is all said and done!
grin.gif

The plan at this point is monthly engine flushes, oil (4 qts + 1 MMO) and filter changes, and see what happens from here!

When I get back down we will be pulling the valve cover and should get a much better idea of what is going on underneath there...
27.gif

As promised, here are some updated pictures from the second oil change of the sludged 2010 Cobalt.

First, the filter - Fram CH9018 in service for 1 week.

2zexehh.jpg

Next the drained oil.

Oil out: 4 qts ST Conventional, 1 qt MMO and a 5 minute motor flush:

2a60eg6.jpg

Oil in: 4 qts ST conventional + 1qt MMO.

It looks like the combination of fresh oil, MMO and motor flush is definitely starting to break some of it free.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Well done! Looking forward to seeing the next one.

I can only imagine how much gunk the next filter will catch after a being in for a month. This one had only been in for a week and it was able to gather a noticeable amount of sludge between the pleats...
57.gif

It looks like the bulk of the dirt in the filter is at the bottom end as if it is settling out of the oil and being drawn into the filter on start up. The bypass valve it at the top end of the filter cavity and if it were going into bypass I would expect to see more debris at that end of the filter. Very Interesting.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: jk_636

Best i can figure this may have been a 3+ year 30,000 mile OCI, with Amsoil as the last known fill.

With best conditions in certain engines, some of Amsoil's motor oils are 1 year MAX OR 25K miles MAX. But really we don't really know what or which oil was used here.

Did he have any proof of the Amsoil use? He must have had someone do the oil change for him. Who did the change?

In addition to this, that is NOT an Amsoil filter in the picture, I have used the Amsoil filters in my Ecotec and can tell by the pic this is a regular pleated filter, not the wire backed synthetic media Amsoil used. The Amsoil media is thicker so there are slightly less pleats.

Also even the Amsoil filter for this application is a 15k interval filter!

Also a few posts under Pablos post, the OP says the car use puts it under the severe service schedule, so this oil, even if it had Signature Series, should have been changed out at 1 year/15k tops!

Originally Posted By: Throt
This reminds me of my mother. 2008 Dodge Caliber. More than once I've gotten in the car and it's been 20,000+ miles since her last change and they only ever put in conventional. Somehow that engine is still chugging along today but after I berated her a couple times, she's been better. Granted she has a husband but he's useless.

Also had a friend in college, she was real winner, twice I checked her oil and it was so low it didn't even touch the dipstick. That's another one where I was always confused how the engines kept on going.

It did teach me something MUCH more valuable though...

Us BITOG'ers worry far far too much.

The saga continues.

After the last oil change pictured above the cobalt now has what is described as a “tick” coming from the front of the engine.

I’m hoping it is something simple like a lifter, but I know that those eco-Tec engines Are prone to timing issues when certain timing components (made of plastic of course) snap....thanks engineers at garbage motors...

Waiting for a recording of the sound so we can figure out if it is a “Tiick” like from a lifter or the “slap” of a chain.

I will be starting a new thread in the maintenance forum and keeping those following up to date there.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
The saga continues.

I’m hoping it is something simple like a lifter, but I know that those eco-Tec engines Are prone to timing issues when certain timing components (made of plastic of course) snap....thanks engineers at garbage motors...

Well, I agree that you can be mad at GM for plastic parts failing under proper maintenance, but it's pretty hard to blame GM in this instance....
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ZZman
I am speechless

I am lunchless... 🤢🤮. Luckily for your friend, child abuse laws don't generally apply to our cars... ...🤔

My nephew had a cobalt and it had to have the turbo removed to reach the filter.
He didn't change it often.
If your friends is like that I'd suggest relocating it so he can easily change it. Maybe he would maintain it better that way.
Looks like you got it under control now

You do not have to remove the turbo to access the oil filter on a Cobalt.
Im not aware of the Cobalt ever coming with a turbo, a supercharged one was available. the Cruze does, but again that still does not require removal for oil filter access.

Any manufacturer that required the turbo be removed for an oil & filter service would be mocked publicly and mercilessly. And they would deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back