Sludged filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
One owner....clean carfax....
lol.gif

One owner, all original ... and only one filter ever used, and 30K OCIs on conventional oil!
eek.gif

Where you been hiding?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I would put my money on that filter was very likely running on bypass.

Lucky it wasn't blow to pieces that could have gone into the engine.

Best i can figure this may have been a 3+ year 30,000 mile OCI, with Amsoil as the last known fill.

With best conditions in certain engines, some of Amsoil's motor oils are 1 year MAX OR 25K miles MAX. But really we don't really know what or which oil was used here.

Did he have any proof of the Amsoil use? He must have had someone do the oil change for him. Who did the change?

Originally Posted By: andyd
A series of 3k OCIs is gonna do anything significant for that mess? Really How many changes will it take to clean that mess up?

3k OCIs until [censored] freezes over isn't going to clean that mess up. Now the money saved on the extended drains and a whole bunch more can be used to tear the engine down to clean it up, and there's no guarantee there wasn't any damage to the engine due to neglect.

1) Does the subject car have a turbo?

2) Somebody billed for Amsoil and installed "City Star" oil from 1936!

3) This could be a job for grandpa's kerosene engine flush.

4) Did the engine sound better after new oil?

5) Is the OP pulling our collective leg with an art project?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Pulling the valve cover and dumping about 2 gallons of Berryman B-12 Chemtool into it and allowing to sit overnight would do that engine wonders.

He and I discussed this at some length. Chemical engine flushes, pulling the valve cover then dropping and scraping the oil pan is really the only option that doesn't involve a new or rebuilt engine at this point. Apparently a CEL and "Service engine oil soon" warning had been on for years now, so goodness knows what else could be under there.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Best i can figure this may have been a 3+ year 30,000 mile OCI, with Amsoil as the last known fill.

With best conditions in certain engines, some of Amsoil's motor oils are 1 year MAX OR 25K miles MAX. But really we don't really know what or which oil was used here.

Did he have any proof of the Amsoil use? He must have had someone do the oil change for him. Who did the change?

A family member who used to be in the Amsoil club changed it for him for a few (3+) years ago, and it has not been done since that point.

Originally Posted By: Kira
1) Does the subject car have a turbo?

2) Somebody billed for Amsoil and installed "City Star" oil from 1936!

3) This could be a job for grandpa's kerosene engine flush.

4) Did the engine sound better after new oil?

5) Is the OP pulling our collective leg with an art project?

1. No
3. Absolutely
4. The "seizing" is now down to a "tremble." We will see how it runs after he performs his own motor flush/oil change solo this weekend.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Ick!

Why is it so much worse than in other ridiculously long change intervals we occasionally read about here? Did that car do lots of short winter trips?

It's whole life has been short trips, city driving and insane Texas heat. So basically "severe" service conditions.

Pablo has a good point. Amsoil's best oils are capable of extended drain intervals in CERTAIN engines. Some engines, because they are prone to fuel dilution or sludge or hard on the oil, SHOULD NOT have long drain intervals. Amsoil also has the SEVERE Service for their oils, which shortens the mileage. Amsoil best oils, not the XL or OE series, say UP to 1 year or 25,000 miles.

I think some people can have trouble with this because they know they are using Amsoil, but, then, they don't keep track of the time or mileage. Before they realize it, the 1 year has become 1 year and two or three months, the 25,000 miles has become 30,000 miles or more.

Our dad is like this, he has a truck he uses for work. He has me do the maintenance on it. The manual calls for 5,000 mile oil changes. Sometimes, he is gone in another state for a few months. When he comes home, I tell him it is time to change the oil. This has happened a couple of times, and he has said, "Didn't you just change the oil?"
And I go, "No, dad, you are up to 8,000 miles now."

I think there are other people like that too. They think they will change their oil at 3,000 miles or 3 months, or 5,000 miles or 6 months, next thing they know they are way past it.

Last edited:
holy frakkin [censored]! I hear taps playing for that engine...oil galleries are most likely fubar! I have no recommendations for degunking let alone resurrecting that engine...

Originally Posted By: njohnson

Pablo has a good point. Amsoil's best oils are capable of extended drain intervals in CERTAIN engines. Some engines, because they are prone to fuel dilution or sludge or hard on the oil, SHOULD NOT have long drain intervals. Amsoil also has the SEVERE Service for their oils, which shortens the mileage. Amsoil best oils, not the XL or OE series, say UP to 1 year or 25,000 miles.

I think some people can have trouble with this because they know they are using Amsoil, but, then, they don't keep track of the time or mileage. Before they realize it, the 1 year has become 1 year and two or three months, the 25,000 miles has become 30,000 miles or more.

Our dad is like this, he has a truck he uses for work. He has me do the maintenance on it. The manual calls for 5,000 mile oil changes. Sometimes, he is gone in another state for a few months. When he comes home, I tell him it is time to change the oil. This has happened a couple of times, and he has said, "Didn't you just change the oil?"
And I go, "No, dad, you are up to 8,000 miles now."

I think there are other people like that too. They think they will change their oil at 3,000 miles or 3 months, or 5,000 miles or 6 months, next thing they know they are way past it.
This is my brother, in a nutshell-he runs a lot of highway mileage on his Altima, he blows past the 7500 (non severe) OCI every time. Usually it's 10K plus before he remembers to do it. He's approaching 200K on it now, and it is only now starting to burn any oil, even after the dreaded cat manifold failure! Shows what quality synthetic oil and Ultras (mostly) can do!

Quote: "Apparently a CEL and "Service engine oil soon" warning had been on for years now, so goodness knows what else could be under there."

Cant fix stupid. Lol

Even with the extended drain intervals that Amsoil advertises, don't they specify doing oil analysis after a certain point?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cdlamb
Quote: "Apparently a CEL and "Service engine oil soon" warning had been on for years now, so goodness knows what else could be under there."

Cant fix stupid. Lol

Even with the extended drain intervals that Amsoil advertises, don't they specify doing oil analysis after a certain point?

I would add-this is the kind of thing I stay away from-if you changed his oil, and sludge broke off and plugged the oil pickup, causing a thrown rod or similar-you would be blamed for it. Maybe a Jiffy Lube trip to a location with good insurance would be a good move??
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: cdlamb

Cant fix stupid. Lol

I would add-this is the kind of thing I stay away from-if you changed his oil, and sludge broke off and plugged the oil pickup, causing a thrown rod or similar-you would be blamed for it. Maybe a Jiffy Lube trip to a location with good insurance would be a good move??
crazy.gif

This comes up a lot on here but apart from the blame assigned by the failed engine owner, there's no risk. The case for burden of proof - that an oil change caused the failure - would have to be made in court. Beats me how a properly done oil change causes an engine failure....it would have to be a messed up court, and a high dolllar attorny that might win this wouldn't take the case for a measly engine replacement cost.

I haven't changed an abused engine's oil for many years - but told the owner that any problems were not my fault and they agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back