SJ replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Again, I was only suggesting a possibility for the rumoured intergranular cracking/spalling that's alleged to occur on cams with very high ZDDP.

Agreed, and I was only directly addressing some of the issues raised in the link above, and in particular the part of the link that mentioned zinc.

The other issues such as lithium or mercury embrittlement don't matter, as we don't have it present in an engine. The issue of Halides (Cl, F, Br, I negative ions) which may occur in pens or cleaning chemicals has been addressed before. It only applies to high alloy steel like stainless steel or high temperature steel, often high in Cr / Ni / Mo, and often in a stressed (tensional forces) application. Again, not what we see in an engine.

Quote:
It's present in boiler tubes

I would assume a boiler tube isn't plain carbon steel, but rather a steel high in Cr and Ni and other alloy elements. This makes it a different material that has different issues.

What I'm trying to say, is talking to a number of failure engineers and metallurgists, they are all very familiar with the possible issues raised above, they consider them well known. But none of these issues apply to an engine component as far as they can see. The failure requires a particular combination of materials and events, none of which we see in an automotive engine.

I have raised all the issues above, and they all consider them true in their own right, but not applicable to our situation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Again, I was only suggesting a possibility for the rumoured intergranular cracking/spalling that's alleged to occur on cams with very high ZDDP.

I can find refernces to >2000ppm zinc...no source documents.

Was just at the local John Deere dealer today. They stock a wonderful oil called JD Plus 50 II. Their all PAO synthetic version is available in 10W-30 and I know it's over 1,000 PPM ZDDP as it's for tractors w/o any CATs. The rub is it's $8/qt ...

JD Plus 50 II

It has been made by Chevron for JD out here on the left coast for decades. It carries every-bodies approvals but Fords (CAT, Cummins, MTU, Detroit, Volvo, MB, etc.) and it's rated for both gasoline and diesel engines. It's stated right on the bottle.

If I did not have a stash of Delo 400 15W-30 SD, my next stop would be JD oil for a flat tappet. Followed by Mystic JT-8 and few others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I can find refernces to >2000ppm zinc...no source documents.

MPT motorcycle oil has 2500 ppm zinc.
Quote:
TYPICAL PROPERTIES: MPT Full Synthetic High Performance Motorcycle Oil – 10W40
Zinc – 2510 ppm
Molybdenum – 530 ppm
Phosphorous – 2665 ppm
Calcium – 2449 ppm
ASTMD874 – Sulfated Ash, 1.25
ASTM D445 -- V @ 40C, 99.1.5
ASTM D445 – V @100C, 14.0
ASTM D2270 – VI, 149
ASTM D92 – Flash Point, 238ºC