Sim Ride 737-300

Uncovering more old pics. I download them when I get a new 'phone and since I'm not that organized, pictures wise at least, I wind up with pics on several pc's the cloud, etc.

Delta is my favorite domestic airline for several reasons.

Got to 'fly' the Delta Flight Museum full motion sim several years ago, not long after it was opened IIRC. I was seriously frustrated and considering hanging up the corporate life and putting myself through ATP school... Pulled in a favor and got time with one of their sim check Pilots for an introduction/instruction/critique to tell myself if it thought I had 'it' or not.. Did some right seat and left seat time, then after the work, we set up at BOS and I flew around the 'hood.

Aside from that, this sim is amazing and the pics truly do not do it justice, the camera focuses on the windscreen and blurs the scenery. I had always wondered just how real a full motion sim could feel...the answer is unbelievably real. Worth the visit if you are in the area, heck it is worth it as a destination.

BTW at the time i was flying our Dakota and a friend's Tomahawk....this was a bit of a step up😲 I

Few pics:
FMSd1.JPG

FMS227BOS.JPG

fms3.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to do that. Did you feel wrung-out when you were done? How many emergency procedures did you do and how many successfully?

Modern simulators are pretty impressive. A level D simulator is sufficiently accurate to allow type ratings. The 757-200 is an older airplane, but the sim has good fidelity. A view of Eagle Airport, Colorado, a few miles out.
F6BE0D5D-B0B8-4B68-889F-1B2FE1E92E94.jpeg

on final
7FD7E93F-0F46-4E6D-BB8A-B9312945BDC6.jpeg

Taxiing on the ramp at DIA

C6CABE86-66E4-420E-B23D-18A6192BB235.jpeg

Parking at the gate

8A6CEFD8-244F-4273-A4C7-6B3B09CCEB89.jpeg

United used to offer “Simulator experiences” in the simulator, with an instructor/pilot/guide.

It was about $1,500 for two hours in a 747-400.

I was assigned to do a couple of those. Actually a lot of fun.

One guy, with a couple buddies, was getting the ride as a birthday present from his wife.

When he asked what a simulator cost (about $25 million) he was shocked. He asked what the price for his two hours, and I told him. His jaw hit the floor. He had no idea his wife had spent that much.

Our training loads are so high right now, that this product is no longer offered. Our simulators, and we have about 40 full motion simulators, are completely booked.

I would love to do that. Did you feel wrung-out when you were done? How many emergency procedures did you do and how many successfully?
Yes...not as wrung out as when one of our company Pilots said 'Hey, want the right set for a bit?", but yeah..:) Didn't do as many emergency routines as I would have liked as I wanted to absorb as much of the entire experience as I could. Did a late go-around, rejected take off.

Last edited:
It was the little things that were impressive also, like feeling and hearing the 'thump.......thump' as the gear went over an expansion joint in the taxiway. Incredible.

Oh, you don't flare a 737 like a Dakota BTW...learned that.

United used to offer “Simulator experiences” in the simulator, with an instructor/pilot/guide.

One guy, with a couple buddies, was getting the ride as a birthday present from his wife.

When he asked what a simulator cost (about $25 million) he was shocked. He asked what the price for his two hours, and I told him. His jaw hit the floor. He had no idea his wife had spent that much.

Our training loads are so high right now, that this product is no longer offered. Our simulators, and we have about 40 full motion simulators, are completely booked.

One of my best ever birthday gifts was a flight on the GoodYear blimp - obviously I could not do a landing but I did get to take the controls for 10 minutes 😎

Swept wing airplanes with big flaps, slats and turbine engines don’t fly anything like straight wing piston airplanes.

Swept wing airplanes with big flaps, slats and turbine engines don’t fly anything like straight wing piston airplanes.
Yeah - to demonstrate - ride in a twin engine Otter during a T-Storm and report back 😳

One bit advice that always stuck with me was from our then Chief Pilot, and good friend. We were talking after IIRC a local businessman had a second landing incident w/ some single pilot swept wing aircraft (Premier??), and he said; "Swept wings are for pro's"

I think it is ultimate just sitting in a cockpit of an airliner and just pondering life. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity.

One bit advice that always stuck with me was from our then Chief Pilot, and good friend. We were talking after IIRC a local businessman had a second landing incident w/ some single pilot swept wing aircraft (Premier??), and he said; "Swept wings are for pro's"
My retired Airline pilot buddie told me that.

A silly sim story. During class, FlightSafety repeatedly told us that the Gulfstream G650 had a set of flight control laws that prevented excursions beyond 65 degrees of bank or 30 degrees of pitch, along with some pretty righteous stall protection.

I'm in the G650 sim, departing Denver. I select both engines to ALT (alternate mode) (allows more control and in essence, more power, as the engine will run up to a limit like temp or RPM) instead of being EPR limited)

After cleaning the bird up, still at max power, I pitch up 20 degrees, and give it a full right aileron, and some right rudder, a hard roll to the right. By this time the instructor is screaming like crazy, but he did not hit the emergency stop, and as we go inverted, I push the yoke fully forward, continuing the roll. As we start to come around shiny side up, I pull the yoke back and the roll was completed in a straight and level situation. Smooth as hell, no unusual excursions and so on. Clearly, the flight control laws don't prevent rolls :)

5YFuEmM.jpg

In the simulator (I repeat, in the simulator), if you fly a 747-400 at tree top height, 365 knots, over the San Mateo bridge, you can add full thrust, pull into a loop (@ 2.5 G), extend the gear while inverted, go to idle power, then extend the flaps while pulling out on the back side of the loop…

And land on 28R.

In the simulator (I repeat, in the simulator), if you fly a 747-400 at tree top height, 365 knots, over the San Mateo bridge, you can add full thrust, pull into a loop (@ 2.5 G), extend the gear while inverted, go to idle power, then extend the flaps while pulling out on the back side of the loop…
Can the 747 actually go that fast at the low altitude?

Last edited:

Is that is Chicago of San Francisco?

United’s Training Center is in Denver.

With the most recent construction completed- I believe it is the world’s largest airline training center.

Plans have been approved for construction of another 8 simulator bays.

Barber pole is the maximum allowable airspeed at that altitude (it's a movable scale on the airspeed indicator, compensated for mach number).

If you're going to loop a big airplane, that's a good place to start.

You wouldn't want to start a loop at stall speed in anything other than a fighter.

Back