Show us your manual and tell us what oil you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 15 malibu with a DI 2.5 I4 engine manuel says to use any 5w20 dexos oil. And 0w20 may be used as an alternative.

I've used nothing but 0w20 since new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
My 2002 4.6L says to use 5w-20 period. It gives no temperature chart. So whether on the arctic circle or the equator that's what you must use.

My 1999 5.7L has a temp chart and recommends 5w-30 for ambient temps under 0 degF and up to 60 degF. But above 0 degF ambient it PREFERS that you use 10w-30. That's a poke in the eye for the thinner crowd.

No it does not. Trouble reading an owners manual fair to say. Straight from the owners manual.

5.7L V8 Engine
As shown in the chart, if you have the 5.7L V8 engine,
SAE 5W30 is best for your vehicle. However, you can
use SAE 10W30 if it’s going to be 0F (-18C) or
above. These numbers on an oil container show its
viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity oils,
such as SAE 20W50

This along with your comment on 10W30 is not thin. Makes me question your comprehension.

2015 Ford F150 2.7L Ecoboost

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP

Motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines are also acceptable. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC).

I take that to mean any 5W30 SN GF5 since its got to have the API / ILSAC Star.

Last edited:
My Sonata and Elantra call for 5W-20 or 5W-30. I'm really hesitant to run 5W-20 in Florida during July and August as it stays between 95-100 degrees daily. I have this fear of the oil thinning out. Anyone running a 5W-20 in a hot climate with experience? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
My Sonata and Elantra call for 5W-20 or 5W-30. I'm really hesitant to run 5W-20 in Florida during July and August as it stays between 95-100 degrees daily. I have this fear of the oil thinning out. Anyone running a 5W-20 in a hot climate with experience? Thanks.

5W-20 Grade should be fine as long as the sump temperature stays below 250F and its not fuel diluted.
5W-30 Conventional sometimes shears more than 5W-20 and they can end up near the same viscosity anyway.
Even though the 2.4L seems to be one of the better GDI engines when it comes to fuel dilution I would be inclined to run a 5W-30 in it. In the Elantra I see no reason 5W20 wont work well but but 5W30 isnt going to hurt anything and fuel mileage difference is going to be small. Our Sonata runs Mobil Special 5W30 in Alabama.

My G37's oil information is scattered across a few pages. This is the gist:

"Select only engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) certification or International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity standard."

The emphasis is mine. One doesn't have to use an ILSAC lube. They show a picture of an API marking showing 5w-30 in SM, as that was current at the time. Then, there's the blurb:

"The engine oil viscosity or thickness changes with temperature. Because of this, it is important that the engine oil viscosity be selected based on the temperatures at which the vehicle will be operated before the next oil change. Choosing an oil viscosity other than that recommended could cause serious engine damage."

...which is essentially gibberish, since the recommended viscosity is 5w-30. So, how do you select oil viscosity based upon operating temperatures, when you could seriously damage your engine by using a viscosity other than the recommended one, which is 5w-30? That's what happens when one does tiny, incremental edits year after year, when they really need to take these paragraphs and trash them and start all over.

I used PYB 5w-30 a fair bit before, and have been using Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for a longer period, yet.

That's a classic case of :
One needs/does not follow blindly what the Manufacturer specifies, IF one knows what he wants out of an oil.

Yes, and for those who understand that there is more to 5w-30 than 5w-30 SN/GF-5, lots of options are open. And, while I did go out of spec, my engine didn't explode, and an alarm didn't go off at the Nissan/Infiniti Warranty Police HQ. OEM OCIs were ignored routinely in the taxis, warranty or not, simply because they were too short, and we never had an engine warranty claim.

Here's another one, out of historical interest. This is from a 1974 Case 1270 tractor.

WqJMyn.jpg

It got 15w-40 HDEO, Esso XD-3, as soon as we got it, and nothing else, no monogrades. The first capacity is without filter change. The second is with filter replacement. The first OCI was to be at 20 hours, and every 100 hours thereafter. The filter interval was at the first oil change, then every 200 hours after that.

As you can see, the transmission-hydraulic fluid capacity was insane. When the PTO shaft broke and had to be replaced, the drain and refill procedure was the biggest problem.
wink.gif

Looks like most are following the manual guidelines pretty closely. By the way, watch out if you have your oil changed commercially someplace. I have more than once questioned the lube going in and despite my explicit instructions they were using whatever bulk cheapy stuff they had on hand, and sometimes the wrong grade. One garage near here I like for other stuff, but no more oil changes from him--he puts bulk 10W-30 in everything without asking.

2015 Genesis Coupe 3.8 (someone already posted the 2.0T/5w30 when both engines were available. hyundai has backed off since then). Such a nice change from Subaru's 0w20 "thou shall not substitute" requirements.

Genesis Jist: SM and above (syn or conv). 5w30 any-temp, 10w30 acceptable above 0 degrees. 7,500 OCI (5,000 severe).

IMAG10351_zpsreldtajf.jpg

IMAG10361_zpsk6wz7i09.jpg

'14 Subaru (same as others have listed for the 0w20)
'01 MR2 5w30, SL, 5,000mi intervals

Last edited:
Here's the page from my wife's 2008 Sebring with the 2.7L FlexFuel engine. No beating around the bush here--5W-20 is it. I'm currently running M1 5W-30. They are also adamant about a max OCI of 6000 miles no matter what the OLM says, which I believe is because of sludge issues this engine is prone to. I have not seen any signs of that using synthetic oils and mostly 5W-30 for the past 20k or so.
SebringManual_zpsm6fkpkri.jpg

All my Fords recommend Motorcraft Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic Oil in 5W-20 or any oil that meets API SN or ILSAC GF-5. You see what I use.

My 2015 Frontier is the first of 20 vehicles I have owned that did not list various oil weights for different temperatures.
5w30 all the way.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My Nissan (diesel), 5W30 but in A3/B4 flavour.
NavaraDieselEngineOil.jpg

My Holden specs 20W50, with 15W40 in sustained cold (snow) conditions.

Running Magnatec 10W30 (A3/B4), and have a lot of 5W30 A3/B4 in the shed, but thinking of a run of SAE30 or 20W50...just because.

I have seen the high speed warning on other cars about 0/20 or 5/20. What is high speed driving? I go 80 to 90 mph out west for hours on end in 100f + heat, I would think that is high speed driving. I just havn't read what that speed is.

My S2000 calls for 10/30 and I use 10/40 H/M '13 Jeep calls for 5/20 and gets 5/30

ROD

Last edited:
66 Pontiac manual says to change my oil every 60 days. Oil has sure come a long way in 50 years. Also says to change the filter every three oil changes. I change oil and filter once a year and use Rotella 15w-40.

2pzfdcz.jpg

Originally Posted By: funflyer
66 Pontiac manual says to change my oil every 60 days.

Oh no, this vehicle has 5w-20 as mandatory under certain conditions! I actually am a little surprised by that, and thought they would have left it to 10w-30 or 10w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back