should i just downgrade back to 10 from 11?

i have a surface laptop that i upgraded to win 11 even though it did not qualify. it was working well for a while, but the last couple of months it would not take the updates . i tried a few fixes but they dont seem to work.

thinking about just going back to win 10. am concerned though if it will mess up my activation codes

Can you do a clean install ? What happens when you run Windows Update ? Pretty sure there's ways to reset the update tool in case something is misconfigured.

I find Windows 11 to be much better (performance-wise) than 10.

Can you do a clean install ? What happens when you run Windows Update ? Pretty sure there's ways to reset the update tool in case something is misconfigured.

In my experience, Microsoft, for all intents and purposes activates Windows on any machine I've tried it on. Using media creation tool, installing it on any PC and its automatically activated. I think that's now their platform to make money on, instead of making money on the platform. If they continued to charge $100-200 for a Windows license, they'd lose market share to Google, Apple, etc.

I'm certain they're not discouraging folks that voluntary pay though, as Windows is still sold in many retail channels as well as OEM.

i get this install error

0x800f083

did a reinstall of the win 11 and it seems to have fixed the issue .

i think what happened is i missed an install of an update. looks like the jan one. guess they need to be sequential for update to work

Last edited:
Upgrade to Mac. 😁
I’ve been an apple products consumer since 1983, and I not only drank the Kool-Aid, I filled a swimming pool with it. However, I no longer feel that way, and even though I have at least 20 pieces of Apple gear in my home, I started adding Google stuff to the mix as well. The latter cost me about 1/5 that of Apple gear and is far more reliable. On the Microsoft side, I play with windows 11 every chance I get whenever I go to a big box store. I got so sick of macOS bugs, that I’m actually considering a Windows machine. While windows has its own set of issues, I just find the behavior more pleasing to that of the Mac. No, I never thought I would say that. 🫤

I’ve been an apple products consumer since 1983, and I not only drank the Kool-Aid, I filled a swimming pool with it. However, I no longer feel that way, and even though I have at least 20 pieces of Apple gear in my home, I started adding Google stuff to the mix as well. The latter cost me about 1/5 that of Apple gear and is far more reliable. On the Microsoft side, I play with windows 11 every chance I get whenever I go to a big box store. I got so sick of macOS bugs, that I’m actually considering a Windows machine. While windows has its own set of issues, I just find the behavior more pleasing to that of the Mac. No, I never thought I would say that. 🫤
I have a like new IBM Aptiva packed away in box with a fresh install of Windows 98 on it. I'll sell it to you for $1500.

Back