8K TV, Samsung QN800B vs QN900B

Hey all,

Does anyone by any chance have either of the models in 85 inch size?

I'm looking to get QN800B 8K TV in an 85 inch size, as I don't see a measurable difference between it the higher tier QN900B model. 900B has no bezels and better built-in sound system, but nothing else that I can see, yet it's $1,500 more vs QN800B? Perhaps someone knows? Nothing on the internet and on Samsung's website

Thanks

Make sure whatever one you choose has a ATSC 3.0 tuner.

Keep in mind what is in this educational YouTube video explains what it is and who it can help out. Even if it doesn't apply to the thread starter, it may help other members out.

Curious why you're wanting 8k? You will not be able to tell the difference from 4k unless you find out a way to upgrade your eyeballs.

For ATSC 3.0 I'd say if you're interested in OTA down the road on the new standard then that's a good idea, otherwise not necessary.

I actually just bought a 4k 85 inch Samsung tv a week ago and it's great. Not too sure why 8k is a must have especially when content in that resolution is almost non existent. 4k even on that size and it being just 15ft or so from my eyes looks great. And it was a cheap $1k lcd tv not the more expensive oled ones and it looks just fine. They have improved the contrast a lot.

I know neither about either set but love to research ... =

samsung-qn800a-vs-samsung-qn900a
It all comes down to the buyer. Samsung pushes their display technology to the max in the 900 (yes I know these are the A models instead of B)
If money is no concern or if perfection is wanted or even bragging rights the 900 is the set.

I know your not interested but for others maybe, if it was me I would also be checking out the offerings from Sony =

The attraction of 8k TVs is the upscaling of a 4k image to 8k like quality. You dont need 8k source material (although that is the ultimate) but it will improve on the 4k picture. Just like 4k TVs improve on Blu-ray and DVD

Last edited:
Make sure whatever one you choose has a ATSC 3.0 tuner.

Keep in mind what is in this educational YouTube video explains what it is and who it can help out. Even if it doesn't apply to the thread starter, it may help other members out.

Thanks! Haven’t had cable or used local channels since 2014. YouTube has everything I need and way more. Sometimes I’ll watch a movie on Vudu or Netflix and that’s it

Curious why you're wanting 8k? You will not be able to tell the difference from 4k unless you find out a way to upgrade your eyeballs.

For ATSC 3.0 I'd say if you're interested in OTA down the road on the new standard then that's a good idea, otherwise not necessary.

Well, 4k is 8 million pixels and 8k is 32 million, which is quite a change. I looked in the store at 8k next to 4k. 8k is a tad sharper, so why not

Lastly, 8k at 85 inch is 104 ppi vs 4k at the same size having 52 ppi.

I know neither about either set but love to research ... =

samsung-qn800a-vs-samsung-qn900a
It all comes down to the buyer. Samsung pushes their display technology to the max in the 900 (yes I know these are the A models instead of B)
If money is no concern or if perfection is wanted or even bragging rights the 900 is the set.

I know your not interested but for others maybe, if it was me I would also be checking out the offerings from Sony =

The attraction of 8k TVs is the upscaling of a 4k image to 8k like quality. You dont need 8k source material (although that is the ultimate) but it will improve on the 4k picture. Just like 4k TVs improve on Blu-ray and DVD

I can get Samsung significantly cheaper vs Sony, otherwise it’d be the latter. And that’s right, I think up scaling of 4k to 8k is a tangible-enough benefit to go for 8k

I can get Samsung significantly cheaper vs Sony, otherwise it’d be the latter. And that’s right, I think up scaling of 4k to 8k is a tangible-enough benefit to go for 8k
Yes, for some reason when 8k first came out, mentally forgot about the upscaling or maybe at the time my frustration of even hard to find 4k which is much improved now.
At the time we bought the 4k (now a little older) Sony X900 I was paying attention to the reviews regarding the upscaling to 4k which was top notch. I do see that Costco (just now) has a Sony X90CK for $1999.99
Anyway, yeah, I am sure Samsung, LG and Sony better sets upscaling will always be tops. How much it matters to some is a personal thing. I think, at least what we noticed at the time, all the little stuff in picture quality added to a perception of an almost 3d like picture with a lot of source material, its waste just me, my wife too, but now we got used to it so I guess I would have to see a lessor set to know if it is real. Even though I think so.

Up until the last year we always rented Red Box DVDs and a few select 4k that we own but with streaming improvements we rent a few streaming movies a month, generally less than $7 to rent but last night we watched "Till" and paid $19 to watch it.

I have found VUDU and NETFLEX good, but my go to rentals are always Apple TV first to see if the movie is there and I am not sure if there is a difference as I only noticed recently noticed when streaming on APPLE we get the true DTS or Dolby encoding, meaning I can set my receiver to "Direct" and all the sound channels light up, fronts, center and rear.
I need to confirm but when I do that at times with others only two sound channels show up so I have to set the receiver to simulate the surround sound. The only thing I am not sure of with Netflix is if its only the "free" movies this happens and maybe the pay moves you get the full affect.
Im unsure about Vudu, I only recently noticed this but now paying attention.
I have my sound system disabled as of a couple weeks ago, sold our house and the new house not finished yet, so we are in an Apartment and didnt want to put it together for just a couple months.

Last edited:
Well, 4k is 8 million pixels and 8k is 32 million, which is quite a change. I looked in the store at 8k next to 4k. 8k is a tad sharper, so why not

Native resolution always beats upscaling. I’d go for a high end 4K display over a 8K display, especially if you’re streaming, YouTube’s bitrates even on 4K are nothing to write home about. I’ve got 1080p Blu-ray’s that look as good or better than some of YouTube’s “4K” stuff.

Native resolution always beats upscaling. I’d go for a high end 4K display over a 8K display, especially if you’re streaming, YouTube’s bitrates even on 4K are nothing to write home about. I’ve got 1080p Blu-ray’s that look as good or better than some of YouTube’s “4K” stuff.

I agree! However, an 8K TV already has an upscale display with all of the "high end" features checked off.

As to bitrate, YouTube's 4k (~75 mbps) exceeds a 1080p blue ray (40 mbps) by about 90%. I expect 4k YouTube videos to look a tad sharper on my incoming 8k TV. 32 million pixels vs 8 million has got to be worth something.

I agree! However, an 8K TV already has an upscale display with all of the "high end" features checked off.

As to bitrate, YouTube's 4k (~75 mbps) exceeds a 1080p blue ray (40 mbps) by about 90%. I expect 4k YouTube videos to look a tad sharper on my incoming 8k TV. 32 million pixels vs 8 million has got to be worth something.
And in a year or two or three you don’t want to be the only one with a 4K 85 inch display 😉
That’s a huge display I’m sure you will be better off since it’s what you want anyway.
I don’t watch you tube anything so can’t comment on their quality, I am
Impressed with Apple

Standing close in the store yes, it will look sharper. Bottom line is sitting on your sofa it'll look no different than 4k even if you actually get your hands on native 8k content. The main reason why even 4k content looks so good is primarily the HDR that accompanies it, not the resolution.
1669437988708.png

And in a year or two or three you don’t want to be the only one with a 4K 85 inch display 😉
That’s a huge display I’m sure you will be better off since it’s what you want anyway.
Impressed with Apple
Somehow all my text didnt get posted above. Just wanted to set the record straight on the last line "Impressed with Apple"
It should have said I know nothing about You Tube, nothing and I never will because I hate google and google owns it.
However my post was cut off and did not want everyone to think I was only promoting Apple TV.

We use a Roku player and we do have an Apple TV subscription, along with Netflex & Hulu and our daughter shares her HBO/Paramont subscription with us and us our Netflix with her.

When we pay for and stream a movie my first go to is Apple TV because its always 4k and most of all streamed with true surround, meaning I can set my receiver to "Direct" and all 5 sound channels show up on the receiver.
Sometimes (and I dont remember which other streaming services I have to set the receiver from direct to a synthesized 5 channel or only 2 channels will come through.

With that said, My next go to is Vudu and if I remember correctly works just as well and also Netflix. Maybe it's just all the pay per view movies verses the free, I dont know but I do know even with Apples limited selection but often very good movies you get 5+ channel sound.
May not matter to everyone but my wife and I like really immersive sound. Also Im sure the video quality is the same but we cant help but feel its always perfect with Apple but that might be because we know the sound always is and we are jaded in our judgement.
SO here I am rambling on and all I meant to say to the OP is yes, we too use Vudu (top contender with Apple for pay movies and Netflex)

Impressed with Apple
Standing close in the store yes, it will look sharper. Bottom line is sitting on your sofa it'll look no different than 4k even if you actually get your hands on native 8k content. The main reason why even 4k content looks so good is primarily the HDR that accompanies it, not the resolution.
View attachment 127973
I think you are right. But the wording, at the bottom of 5he screenshot says “significant”. So perhaps, some insignificant difference is there
0AF3AD87-BEE8-43EC-81F6-F74E22ABDE62.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 127973

Your comment on dynamic range vs resolution is the held view right now in the broadcast and film industry.

When presented with higher resolution or better dynamic range people choose high dynamic range.

We've been at the forefront of hight dynamic range production since its inception and have and are powering every major sporting events HDR broadcasts.

fs_hdr_news_story_950px_v5.jpg

Last edited:
When presented with higher resolution or better dynamic range people choose high dynamic range.

What about when presented with higher resolution AND better HDR vs lower resolution + better HDR, what do people chose? Or they can’t distinguish between the two combos? Thanks

Back