Any house roof experts out there

Road noise can travel a far distance. Looks like the roof is acting as a big speaker and the foundation the microphone. Fill that attic with more insulation.

You could try using some tension struts in the attic to change the pitch maybe.

Reactions: hrv
do you have turbines for attic ventilation? ,if one is out of balance ,this can cause noise/vibration ,also check under eves for any flashing that may have come loose,,,,,is noise coming from a neighbors house??

do you have turbines for attic ventilation? ,if one is out of balance ,this can cause noise/vibration ,also check under eves for any flashing that may have come loose,,,,,is noise coming from a neighbors house??
No it is distant road noise...no turbines just the old stide vents...6 of them...flashing is fine

Road noise can travel a far distance. Looks like the roof is acting as a big speaker and the foundation the microphone. Fill that attic with more insulation.

You could try using some tension struts in the attic to change the pitch maybe.
I am going to have a insulation company come by and look at the attic and see what they think..

If you can get into the attic, I would try these, I would just power staple them into the trusses, a continuous row along the top of every second truss, might just do the trick to break up the harmonics. The panels would be vertical, tacked to the sides of the trusses.

Foam absorb.jpg

We just got the rubberized shingles and our noise level went down a lot.

I think the thicker pad is more effectively blocking high frequencies, and you now only notice the low freqs.

Reactions: hrv
We just got the rubberized shingles and our noise level went down a lot.

I think the thicker pad is more effectively blocking high frequencies, and you now only notice the low freqs.
Kind of what I thought too... Will have a company that does insulation to get there opinion...I am already getting used to the sound...

If you can get into the attic, I would try these, I would just power staple them into the trusses, a continuous row along the top of every second truss, might just do the trick to break up the harmonics. The panels would be vertical, tacked to the sides of the trusses.

View attachment 170029
neat idea....thanks

Back